[R&F] Bye bye Pyramids :'(.

Well that came as a huge shock. Was playing as China, & found myself with Chandragupta's India to my South. We were initially getting along great, but the closeness of my cities to his was clearly starting to annoy him.....so he declared a surprise war on me.

His own forces, alone, caught me off guard......but his Pre-Slav allies dwarfed his forces. Sadly Preslav were able to overrun one of my biggest cities, instantly razing it (I wonder if it would work better if it became independent in these cases?)

I lost a commercial district, the government plaza and-worst of all-the Pyramids.

I was able to repay the favour by using my envoys to undermine Chandragupta'a Suzerain status......but sadly the damage was already done.

Is it wrong that I am considering going back to an earlier save?

It's not "wrong" since the save&load function exists mainly for this kind of situation (macro scale mistake). For me, however, I'd normally just start up a new game entirely (I only reload when i got amazing maps).

Ah, the eternal blue pill-red pill dilemma. It's up to you and you alone, as always.
However, if here you do choose the blue one, deep down you'll always be aware that the true reality was abandoned and left to dangle somewhere else... and you'll never know how deep that rabbit hole went...
:p

Load an autosave. I would do a restart of the same game though.
Chandra himself is a bad neighbor (though not always), so I kinda never wait and conquer him. The incapability of leading war is shocking - even city states are more dangerous. My last game, Chandra joined a city state emergency against Norway taking Stockholm (ironic, I know), however his knights stopped attacking after dropping the city to 30% and letting Harald build walls.

That is an interesting dilemma. I'm a non-reload/non-restart kind of player - but yeah I think in the case of losing a wonder due to City State razing the city, I'd re-load from earlier myself. If India had just taken the city, I wouldn't.
Preferably reload somewhere right after the surprise war was declared if there is any way to turn the situation around (such as shifting envoys earlier than you did) - in order to keep the overall state of the game intact. But if that's not possible, then a little before so you can redirect production to some defensive units, knowing that Chandra is a bad neighbor.

No no. Rage quit and delete all saves from that game is the way to go!
:badcomp:

Seriously though: Thx for sharing I always think I'm the only fanatic on the planet gettin caught offguard occasionally...

It is fine to consider going back ...
but keep on trucking' instead and see if you can win (and enjoy the revenge) despite the setback. :)

Revenge is always more fun then reloading a save. Actually I very rarely reload older save , only do so if by rushing I missclicked something.

Not at all: it's A GAME and however you want to play it is the right way to play it for you. Kipling's quote applies here as well as in cultural anthropology:
"There are nine and twenty ways,
of constructing Tribal Lays
And each and every one of them is Right!"

I might be tempted to go back to an earlier save myself, but the bulk of my 'cheating' is reserved for Restarts: being something of a historical fanatic (I wonder if anybody else has noticed?), I refuse to start a Civ in a set of terrain/climate that is completely inappropriate for that Civ: Tundra start for Egypt, for instance, or center-of-the-continent start for Norway or England.

I am convinced that my first game playing as the Inca will give me a start in the middle of an absolutely flat desert. . .

Wrong? No. Of course not. But honestly I've had a lot more fun with games that terrible things happened in and I managed to claw my way back from.

The first and only time I played as Georgia I ended up on an isolated little peninsula with Cyrus blocking my way out and absolutely awful terrain for fighting from my end. I tried to rush him, got nowhere, then he rushed me and took my capital in one fell swoop, and I almost gave up. But I managed to not only retake the capital (which incidentally I solo'd the emergency on yay a bunch of gold for nothing haha) and through a war of attrition managed to take him out as well. Of course by then the rest of the world was so far ahead of us most victory types were out, but thankfully Korea who dominated the mainland had zero interest in religion and I was able to convert her and after that everything fell into place. My backwards, war-torn country managed a religious victory as objectively much better Korea lost because they were improving the life of their people and curing diseases and providing luxuries and whatnot. Ha, suckers.

Personally, I would not enjoy playing a game in which I have foresight into what was going to happen next, that just kinda ruins the puzzle for me. So if I was sufficiently bummed out by the loss I would just reroll, but more likely would play it out as that is where I find the game more fun. Dealing with the puzzle that is a big 'ol wench in the works of my master plan.

Of course do what is going to be fun to you. Hard to have someone else dictate that to you.

Just know that no matter what option you choose we all will be secretly judging you for your choice.

For
ever.

I saw the title and I thought GS was removing or changing the Pyramids in some way. :D

Sadly Preslav were able to overrun one of my biggest cities, instantly razing it (I wonder if it would work better if it became independent in these cases?)

This reminds me of one of my first Rise and Fall games. I think I jumped into an emergency, and my city state Babylon jumped into the war with me. The AI had Preslav as an ally. I was working to get my army up and running, when suddenly I saw the Babylon got razed. I felt so bad for them. They moved onto me next, forcing me to make peace! I really felt at that point that I couldn't get away with not having a strong army right off the bat.

I think the main issue here is twofold:

- The City States razing directly. If they don't want them to grow too big like in 5, they should make it a free city now that R&F has them. Maybe give them a bit more loyalty and such, but outright raze is too much.
- The razing mechanic itself. I think they implemented it this way due to some mechanical/programming constraints, but it should have been like before: It should take some turns to fully raze it, and the improvements shouldn't disappear. Even if they don't implement the turns, the improvements should stay + pillaged.

In any case, this further reinforces my idea that Civ 7 should move to a region based map. Razed cities would leave the ruins, the wonders being a feature of the regions instead of the actual city, and you can place a city in that region somewhere else.

Revenge is always more fun then reloading a save. Actually I very rarely reload older save , only do so if by rushing I missclicked something.

Had a not lost The Pyramids, I wouldn't even be considering reloading ;).

I saw the title and I thought GS was removing or changing the Pyramids in some way. :D
Hence why I put [R&F] in there ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, one other Out-of-Game question springs to mind: Short of Nuclear Weapons, how do you Raze a Pyramid?

City I can understand: tear down, burn down, pull down enough buildings, the people leave, the city disappears: like Saqqara, one of the earliest pyramid sites . . .
But the pyramids are still there.
To raze one would pretty much require the entire army hauling away large blocks of stone for months or years - almost the same amount of labor, in fact, that was required to build it in the first place.

Might be a little Mod required here: Pyramids are essentially UnRazable: you can knock over some Big Rocks, but short of spending several turns with an army working at it, destroying several thousand tons of stone is just too much work.

Also, would make a nice Reference Point on the map: maybe just the pyramids themselves, without the current graphic temples around it, sitting all alone on a now-empty stretch of terrain . . .

Top Bottom