1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Bye bye Pyramids :'(.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

I have no problem with world wonders not being razable. But if the owning city is razed, the effects of the wonder should be null & void!
    Edit: ... except for tourism for a city that takes it in later.

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Nope.

Unless Firaxis comes to you and declares your game invalid, anyone else is just spitting hot air.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  3. kb27787

kb27787 Emperor

I would just raze Preslav... And all of India for that matter. Then capture Patna and rename it the waste dump, then starve the citizens, let it rebel then nuke it.

Maybe I have some issues with revenge...

agonistes and steveg700 like this.
  4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I don't know, man. Is it? Only you can make that call.

Do you think it's wrong to play a game of a civ with the notion that the game shouldn't hit you with nasty surrprises? Or should you accept that something that sucked happened and deal with it? Losing a wonder is kind of an edge case, because it hardly wrecks your game to lose a wonder, before or after it's built. But it is really frustrating, I'm sure.

I'm playing XCOM 2 War of the Chosen at the moment. Now, that's a game with a community who have the highest level of contempt for scum-saving. All the same, I hate certain aspects of WotC--namely, the Chosen themselves--and I set aside my own animus towards scum-saving when they are on the scene.

I think Civ has spoiled us with facile behavior that makes it too easy to predict. We aren't used to getting hard with a curveball, so when it finally happens, we don't have the coping mechanisms to just suffer our losses. "What??? One of my precious military units died? And it had a promotion even? Oh, no no no, this will NOT do...."

5. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Without sounding dismissive or patronizing, I would give you the advice to try out Wotc in Ironman. Even it means lowering difficulty at first. It is truly the real experience.And yes you'll fail a couple of games but at some point you'll learn to recover even from the worst of thing. Yet the suspens will still be there at every turn !
    And rush those chosen , their weapons are just too great to pass on ;)

steveg700 likes this.
  6. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

The problem is, the Chosen weapons are too great to NOT pass on. They contravene the whole gameplay mechanism of upgrading weapons and scrambling for loot drops, Once acquired, they trump anything else you have and become the de facto mainstay weapons of the team, and all that other stuff you're doing to improve your offense becomes secondary. It doesn't help that the weapons are rather goofy-looking. How am I the only person who is bothered by this?

The Chosen themselves are just tedious to fight. Not necessarily hard, but more like doing the dishes or taking out the trash. They have a pack of annoying trump cards that are intended to force players to get out of their comfort zone, but they don't really work out that way. For instance, if the hunter keeps targeting a sniper with an AOE to force him to move, then the sniper moves and doesn't get to shoot. I haven't been compelled to come up with new tactics; I can't do something different if I don't have anything different to do. I just don't get to use my sniper that turn. Don't even get me started on rulers.

I play XCOM for the fundamentals: scout out areas, find the pods, set up cover positions and kill zones. Different aliens have different traits that force variations in tactics. All the extraneous stuff where you're rewarded with easy buttons that make those tactics irrelevant dilute that experience. I don't want to do psionics so I can easily scout the map and delegate risk to mind-controlled enemies. I don't want to teleport or fly around the map to flank enemies effortlessly. And I don't want weapons that de-emphasize the importance of research and loot drops. On the other hand, I also hate not using the weapons, because I don't want to play a game of XCOM where I'm aware that I'm fighting with one hand tied behind my back.

Unfortunatley, Firaxis' philosophy with XCOM has been very much about subverting the fundamentals. They want players to rush across the map on timed missions, they want players to wear goofy monster suits, and they want enemies that dress up in Warcraft outfits and chatter at the player endlessly. Oh, and they want zombies.

I like a lot of the changes from WotC, like the revisions to facilities, and new mechanisms like soldier bonds and covert ops.There's a lot to like, really. Just not the Chosen themselves. SO, no Ironman mode for me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

In my imaginary historical 4X game that I would do if I had unlimited resources, "wonderfall" would be a component of gameplay, with some wonders presenting more challenge to maintain over time than others. And as other wonders of that era fall, the remaining ones become more prominent.

But yeah, a big pyramid of rock is pretty hard to wreck, compared to megalithic statues and temples. It would be interesting if Civ could offer a mechanism for seeing wonders jeopardized, such as by earthquakes (q.v. Colossus of Rhodes), but in the current design building is already a questionable ROI.

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Its not wrong, of course, but I would play it out. Its the kind of thing that makes a game more memorable. Ten years from now, its the kind of game you might look back fondly at.

Aussie_Lurker and MrRadar like this.
  9. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Just think of it like Sheldon Cooper - There's an infinite number of dimensions, each of which has you making different decisions. You didn't like where this one was going and decided to see how it played out in a different one.

tedhebert likes this.
  10. tmacdec

tmacdec Chieftain

I always thought wonders should stay in place when the city is burned. Have the terrain grow over the wonder, levels by era. If you get the wonder in your territory you get a city project to clear growth to put the wonders effects online. If you dont clear the growth you can get tourism after flight

Aussie_Lurker likes this.