1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye for now, Civ 6 - It was nice getting to know you

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SCBrain, Nov 26, 2016.

1. noto2

noto2 Emperor

CoolLizy - is your avatar the neighbour from Home Improvement? Wow that's a blast from the past...

2. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

It is Wilson from Home Improvement, yes. Played by the late Earl Hindman.

3. Daishomei

Daishomei Chieftain

This they do good but are not organized in attacks that's is the biggest flaw is they don't attack as a group but rather a one man army... If the AI actually worked together and calculated possible outcomes better they would have better attacks and be more of a threat. Cause you damage one they all may flee protecting siege and support units should hold a priority and they should move like an army.... unless using guerilla tactics which would fall primarily to scouts and cavalry unit types. Also flanking Siege if on defense with calvalry should be top priority as well as other units if plausible also distracting by attacking one of your less fortified cities through guerilla,siege or just a decent distraction to help pull off some of your attack force.

One of the games I played recently they send seige weapon with no defense what good will that do when I will destroy before it can even attack. lol

4. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

I miss them too :( ... I knew them in & out, but surprisingly never got tired ... strange ... the same with the civ1 news: "3:0 for the lions" makes me smile - every good joke is based on a tragedy.
    Talking atmosphere, I thought 'this one will be best of the series' when I saw the first couple of pictures, especially the Rough Riders ...
    I interpret it more as insecure. What wouldn't surprise me a bit for what I read here on the forum about undefined AI role attributes (just warrior & a few more def'ed as combatUnit?) and the AI movement (partly based on the old movement rules?) in the release version ... {I haven't bought it yet, so just read a lot, but have no own perception}

Methinks "some parts" are far less ready than they should. The Battle Royal video showed an interesting mood contrast - the marketing people at their peek, "all is going fantastic", reminds me of the military advisor after a won battle :D - the developers thoughtful, knowing well "what they are going to deliver".

[If that's true, delivering modding tools would be useless or counterproductive(!) until "their" part is finished.]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Sagax likes this.
  5. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I have always hated this ever since it was first implemented. It was also put into Total war, ruining a perfectly good gaming mechanic.
    It screws up borders, warfare and planning. Once you could say, "Ok, I`ll chase that army over there and there`s nowhere left for him to go!" Or you could plan a defensive strategy knowing that enemies can`t just get anywhere without going to a city and building a fleet. It really kills realistic strategy. They treat the sea like land and the sea has never been like land throughout history- It has always been a barrier that needs effort to use when seafaring. It minimises the effect of the seas completely. It might as well just be a big blue carpet. Hate it.

Even space games are more `realistic` now as they still require you to have transport ships if you want to get people anywhere!

Lewi11, HF22 and Chinese American like this.
  6. Daishomei

Daishomei Chieftain

Yes but embarked units are completely defenseless and move slower than a ship my advice plan ahead and predict there moves I also think they are weaker and bothships are now ranged I think forgot abt the destroyer though is it still melee had one before but can't remember..Plus the AI acting crazy makes it where you don't have to even use strategy atm other day India had the elephant and two settlers in the water got both and killed the elephant with a crossbow and ship. His defense was go further to sea lol.

7. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

or (without simply going to a harbour & use limited(!) "transport capacity") ...

In this case at least the correct attributes should be applied: a modern tank unit in transport ships defends as (very weak) sea transport and not as (very strong) armored land unit.
    [as it works now]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  8. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

Seriously, people, Ctrl+S has been the save shortcut since at least Civ 2 (and truly I think Civ 1, somebody check for me). Now it does nothing. I have to click into the menu to save the game. It's ANNOYING. Completely annoying. And that's just the beginning.....

Changing the keyboard shortcuts for us old timers who don't use a mouse 24/7 is not a good decision. Ever.

narmox, c4c6, Drakarska and 1 other person like this.
  9. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Ctrl+S is the save shortcut not only for Civ 2-5 but also every software program I've ever used...

10. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

I think, the keyboard shortcuts should be part of the '1/3 which is never changed' from civ to civ (without important reason) ... {who wants gold to be cyan, science magenta & culture yellow in the first and gold to be magenta, science yellow & culture cyan in the second C6 expansion, just for a change?}

For me it is also more ergonomic to do as much as possible with "the other" hand (on the keyboard), which still is far less as with "the main" hand (on the mouse).

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

While I agree with you for Save (Ctrl + S, at least on Windows, is an expected standard), catering exclusively to older players is not the way to build your interface either. There's a huge pushback against the popularity of mobile and modern design aesthetics on the Web because "the old way works for me".

Heck, it's why forums are still organised like they are. Too much resistance to change.

12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Embrace the change! the world is change.... but CTL+S is sacred.

I quite like the change, it looks nice. Its nice to see my hard earned money going into something I can see rather than some calculations in the background they will not even tell me.

13. King_Course

King_Course Prince

A thing I don't like in Civ VI is how the design is all over the place. Like the theme music by Christopher Tin, a great epic classical theme, that makes you assume this is about grandeur and epicness. And then the art style, which is cartoony and looks made for smartphones, and childish, exemplified by the happy dog the scout.

Civ V was very consistent, the art deco worked and looked great, the game kept the same kind of feel. Civ VI feels like it has been made from a scrapheap challenge, with no thought whatsoever to presentation, as if several designers weren't speaking to each other while finishing their part of the game.

Lewi11 and HF22 like this.
  14. King_Course

King_Course Prince

Another thing that outright irritates me is, -aside from the game coming to a complete halt middlegame-, how the designers chose to punish wars, and yet then implemented very aggressive behaviour that is not officially war. Like the religious spam, that's the war you will be fighting forever, and secondly, the Civs will walk into your territory, and settle a city that has maybe a handfull of free tiles, right in the heart of your territory.

These things are like war without war, and aggression without a response, as any war dec will hit you with chain denouncements, and bog your game down till you quit, and bomb your amenities down to punish you extra just because.

Civ VI is a game that makes you complain and rage against it, because there's little proper response, to the most annoying things.

15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Religious spam happens on Deity type levels only. Its trying to give you a challenge and if you give the AI all that bonus what else is it going to do with it.? Its DEITY, Once they can fix the AI a bit for combat they can reduce these insane levels and it should behave better.

Oh, I do that to them... it encourages them to make war on me. The AI is full of those tricks, like settling a war by trying to make you pay more gold than you can afford. Its all part of the game and I tend to huddle my cities more, keep some gold to plug that gap or move some troops in the way.

Are you really annoyed that much by the game doing its best at Deity like this?

16. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

"looks made for smartphones" is probably why you think the design is all over the place. You don't understand that hyper-realism is simply an aesthetic choice in of itself and not reflective of the actual quality of the art on display. Which makes it doubly funny when you say the designers weren't speaking to each other :D

17. Loffas

Loffas Warlord

I just rage quit civ vi after getting religios spam from an AI. That "It just happends on Diety" is bullfeathers. The AI dosen´t seem to have to buy missionarys at all.

I use some mods now that make some aspects of the game better. And sure some things are better. But religion needs a complete overhaul.

Religion fixes needed:

#1: A way to choose an state religion, like in civ iv, so that you and others can change religion.
    This can make an AI like you more. Something that also is kind of broken right now. (All AI hate you after a few turns)

#2: The AI needs to buy missionaries. Right now the probebly just spawn. Easy for the devs but truely sucks magic donkey balls for the player.
    If you make alot of effort to have a strong religion. with 2 holy sites before your first campus, both a shrine and a temple. Get your religion. AI will still make missinaries five times as fast as you.

#3: This is just the begining. Probebly alot more has to be done.
    #1 and #2 is just the most "in your face" bugs. (And yeah it is bugs) that have to be addressed. More ideas is probeby good. But point #1 and #2 is close to game breaking. Atleast religion breaking.
    So my tip as of now. Dont use religion at all

18. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Ok, so I would suggest to support both (in setup options)
    - the mentioned "old shortkey layout" with standard keyboard, mouse and e.g. 55'' ultraHD monitor as well as
    - a "mobile and modern design" on a mobile touchscreen(?), your turn to specify details
    I'm a uncertain, whether I understand you ... but as you quote me: I meant to """change the colours used for the displayed yields on the tiles from gold yellow, science cyan & culture magenta in vanilla C6 to gold cyan, science magenta & culture yellow in the first and gold magenta, science yellow & culture cyan in the second C6 expansion, just for a change""" as a joke. Sorry, bad joke.
    No, not at all, the happy dog scout (and the Rough Riders etc.) are great art style, looks gorgious on HUGE monitors ... for me CIV is more a game than a war simulation.

19. Loffas

Loffas Warlord

What are you talking about???
    It looks awfull. You should try playing some of the mods for civ iv. Then you can see what might have been with the grafics for civilization if they hadn´t gone to the cartoonish, childish, smartphonesk grafic style. Civ vi looks like candy crush, world of warcraft and overwath. The color palete is trying to fry your eyes with bright chemical colors instead of showing a grafical map.

BR Loffas

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Overwatch has fantastic graphical quality and a UI design that most games should aspire to.

Colours in reality are "bright". My lawn is not a muddy brown; it's a bright green topped with a rather intense white (frosting, time of year, etc). My walls are magnolia (predictably, rented house). My fence is red. My current computer chair is a rather bright blue. These are all things we're used to . . . unless we see them in a video game, for some reason. Well, I know the reason - we're used to DIRT LAYERS and SHADES OF BROWN to represent realism because that's how graphics were designed for the longest console generation (Xbox 360 / PS3); it was a technique used by developers to enhance immersion through graphics due to the limitations of the consoles in terms of horsepower.

We're now seeing a new console generation (that already has "improved" versions scheduled for release), and more powerful PCs than ever before. Suddenly, realistic colour palettes are achieveable. And definitely, the colours on display in Civilisation are realistic.

You missed my point; it's not an either / or switch here.

As for the specified monitor, by any hardware survey you'd find that the vast majority of people do not play on such screens. It's an edge case. Desirable to support, but in no way mandatory (I mean, the game runs, doesn't it? That's your baseline). Everything in software development is done in terms of priority. If the target baseline for graphics is the nVidia GeForce 600 series, they're not going to explicitly waste developer hours trying to get the game running on a 200 series (or Intel integrated graphics, etc).

For keybinds alone, rebindable actions would do the trick. Have a set of defaults set to <whatever> and then allow the users to easily and efficiently rebind their preferred actions. I have no idea if Civilisation supports this because honestly I've never tried.