1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Byzantines...what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Roblord, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Roblord

Roblord Chieftain

I heard all the hype about them being overpowered and then when I try them....not so much. Converted the Mongolian capital and attacked with my Tagmas...and a barely imperceptible blip came off the wall. 30 turns later...the city still hadn't fallen. Had I known, I wouldn't have declared war to begin with. Needless to say, I lost this game gave as I spent way too many unproductive turns. So...what strategy are people using here that makes the Byzantines so great? Kind of a rant, but a tad frustrating as you have to work a lot of moving pieces with this civ to begin with. I had a way easier time with the Gauls and I missed several opportunities with them.

2. EthiOPia

EthiOPia Chieftain

Special district is super imba broken. I won with byzantium by domination(20 civ huge map, deity) in around 180 turns, and they felt uterly broken once you got tagmas you just go brr. Just prebuild their district to one turn and wait till you can build tagmas.

3. Datian

Datian Warlord

You still need a good infrastructure to begin with, Byzantium doesn't have any early bonus except a quicker prophet.

The powerful part comes later, when you add one bonus after another because they synergize well (+3 to all units with your holy city... then an easy conversion of your warring neighbours.... then you don't care about their walls... then you add another +3... then you get the two things that might miss in a war, amenities and more units, just by building a hippodrome... and so on).
    Once you hit medevial era, you catch the wave and it's endless.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  4. Roblord

Roblord Chieftain

Maybe I just had plain bad luck then. "shrugs"

5. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The city walls should lose a fair amount of HP if the city is close in strength to your tagma. There is a brief period between the enemy getting out Musketmen/pike and shot and you getting cuirassiers, where your tagmata are not quite as effective. This can be mitigated by using Crusade.
    However, if they are at the same tech level as you, then you should not be having a problem at all when facing a city that is converted to your religion.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

I think you didn't have Crusade? Byzantium is not too OP on its own - just strong, not OP imho. Byzantium plus Crusade, now that's OP.

_hero_ likes this.
  7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Use Horseman and start snowball early.

Siddharth Venkatesh likes this.
  8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The Mongols must have been way ahead of you in tech. I just finished conquering Egypt, which I had converted to my religion (thought they didn't have one of their own and I haven't converted anyone's holy city), and Egypt's walled cities just melted. I didn't lose a single unit.

It helps if you also take supporting beliefs (like the one that gives bonus strength for combat near a city that shares your faith.

9. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

I just finished a domination game as Byzantium, with the Crusade belief, and it was ridiculously easy. No city lasted longer than two turns, and some I actually one-shotted, my tagmas having over 70 power, while their base strength is 48. All those bonuses add up to crazy power levels.

10. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

These two pieces of advice certainly worked in my 2nd game, first one I was too slowwaiting for the UU but getting horsemen and crusade and transitioning into the UU/Hippodrome worked well. There were 3 religions on my continent so I aimed for holy cities first to get the additional bonus. The other continent had Rome and Macedon and the religion had been founded very late so I got an easy religious victory.

11. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

What difficulty was this, and did you attack someone who had already snowballed way ahead?
    As long as you did convert the city, you should be doing full damage to its walls.
    Now if you are hardly hurting the walls, that means that the walls are either crazy strong (renaissance, while you just unlocked Medieval Tagmas), or you attacked someone who had already snowballed so far ahead tech wise that the combat strength on the city was simply too high (like 80++).

Could of course be some religious UI bug too, I'd try to reload the save and bring an extra Missionary just in case.
    Had the religion indicator for city behave quite buggy myself in my last game, where I checked if the target city had converted (it hadnt), then a few secs later (on the same turn) the indicator flipped mid turn to my religion for no good reason.
    Try to use the missionary on the capital (even if it says it flipped to your religion) and see if that helps.

12. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

If you're coastal and your neighbor has some coastals as well, Dromon work extremely well on a city with Crusade and your Religion. Ancient Walls go down in around 3-4 hits if the city has 30-40 strength. You can combine this with a few horseman to take out a neighbor, and once you have the neighbor's land, it should be easy to snowball. Dromon fleets also seem to stay relevant for a really long time and they are really good at cleaning up units to make space for your cavalry to directly attack cities.

Regarding the Hippodrome and Tagma, I like placing down Hippos asap and then prebuilding them to one turn of completion. Once divine right is researched, finish all the hippos and you'll have an instant Tagma army. Tagma seem to stay relevant for quite some time. Pike and Shots hard counter them though, so you will need Cuirassers eventually. But by the point this happens, you should have grand master's chapel and a ton of faith stored up, so you can simply take one city in opposing territory and then use that to spam Cuirassers and Cavalry.

I didn't seem to have any issue decimating walls with Tagma. Even once the cities got to 60 strength, the walls seemed to go down just fine in 2-3 hits. Crusade of course was huge for this.

13. Linklite

Linklite Prince

I've had similar issues - I've converted enemy cities, sent a couple of tagmas at them and the walls were barely affected. Slightly more than usual, but I still resorted to building cars and bombards to deal with them, it was easier. Not sure how you are taking out cities in 2 turns with them.

14. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

Were you using Crusade? Also around what turn were your Tagma attacking the cities? They do eventually get outdated but do a good job for a really good time, with Crusade.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  15. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

I think people are generally operating under the assumption that you pick up Crusade as part of your religion. It's such an obvious choice for Byzantium's play style and it'll massively increase the strength of your eventual all-out attack, both against units and cities. OP says "a barely imperceptible blip came off the wall" but I have a hard time believing you'd get that kind of result if you played the civ efficiently. I was melting capital cities with Tagmas in like 4-5 attacks despite medieval walls as soon as they were converted and more like 3 attacks for smaller cities. Got a religious win by about turn 150, though I'd eliminated about half of the map through conquest by that point too

16. Roblord

Roblord Chieftain

I did have Crusade, but yes...the Mongols did have a tech lead.