1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

This - do they really need maintenance freedom (confirmed for gold and likely for oil in case of a later upgrade to tanks, too) on top? Isn't just a free unit enough of a bonus, especially if you take in account how good they can become CS-wise because of the other unique stuff? Except the Maya, all NFP civs seem to be way more extreme in their boni then the old ones...

tedhebert likes this.
  2. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Probably yes.

3. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

^ He conquered Bulgaria? This means Bulgaria was once part of Byzantium and then passed to Ottomans until several centuries later that Bulgaria became a free nation of its own?

4. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Basil II the Bulgartriggerer.

Civ 6 has thrown us many curve balls with female leaders - I was expecting Byzantium to be a little less full-on militaristic than this, with a focus on religion and culture, and figured Anna Komnena would be a good choice.

Maybe they felt Kristina ticked the 'female nerd' box.

If 'Boudica leads the Gauls in Sid Meier's Civ 6' I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Aurelesk and Zaarin like this.
  5. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Still no Portugal as a fully playable civ mew!
    (while i'm still busy making a new unit for my mod. my Idea is that )
    1. Stirrups should be in Classical Era (and I did implemented it in my mod)
    2. Plate Armor filled a vacant slot left by Stirrups
    3. Stirrups enables Cataphracts (A heavy cav between chariots and knights, while I'm still using Deliverator's cataphract model pieces for rider. I'm still looking for a full scalemail armor model for this unit), while Plate Armor unlocks Knights (actually they should be enabled with civics).
    Whatchu think of my proposal or mod potential ideas?

6. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

I have asked the same question here but haven't received any answer. Perhaps we need to wait until the dev stream to find it out.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Fun Fact : In the past 4 iterations of the Civ Game - The Byzantine Empire has always been released after the Ottomans were in.

In Civ 3, Ottomans came with PTW (1st EP), Byzantium came with Conquests (EP 2)

In Civ 4, Mehmed lead Ottomans in Warlods, while Justinian came with Beyond the Sword.

In Civ 5, Suleiman was a base game leader, while Byzantium came with God and Kings

In Civ 6, Suleiman lead the Ottomans in Gathering Storm, while Byzantium was released as part of the the NFP pass.

I think it's clear who the favorite is here xD.

Equilin, Hawke9, bite and 14 others like this.
  8. Gali

Gali Prince

Bulgars started as a steppe tribe that founded an empire then wiped out by Basil then a second empire. That empire ws wiped out by the ottomans. And Basil II was not the last great Byzantine emperor. The Konmenos dynasty was the last time the Empire was truly great,

As for the civ meh. Domination civs are boring considering how easy it is to beat up on the AI. But at least I have bonus faith, and help getting religion. Also nice that the hippodrome allows us to go tall fitting for the byzantines.

The Tagmata were the central governments forces. They were the cataphracts and were the succesors to the mobile cavalry of the late roman empire. The varangians were a tagma technically but far more mercenary forces brought in to provide the capital with a counterweight to the professional military of the Anatolian heartland who had seized power in basil's youth. A main reason byzantium didnt expand was that they were beset on multiple fronts and had to deal with Islam at the height of its power along with steppe nomads. The Rus sent massive viking fleets that bounced off them unlike the west

ZarduStar likes this.
  9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'm really liking the synergies with Byzantium...you are a heathen? you get arrased and converted, you are converted? you get invaded. cities conquered demand ammenities? you build the Hippodrome, you get more units and march to the nearest heathen.

(the crusade belief is going to be nuts with Byz)

It really does feel like Spain 2.0, I hope they at least give Spain another look, to differentiate it more, so it doesn't feel just outclassed.

by the way, wanted to mention kudos on the art department for making the Hippodrome feel unique, just small details like it having a different style of housing (as opposed to the festival tents) helps in selling the look.

j51 and conorbebe like this.
  10. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

They didn't pass directly from one to the other, they had another free interlude before the Turks appeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Asen_II

ZarduStar likes this.
  11. Kibikus

Kibikus Warlord

He conquered Bulgaria in 1018, then Bulgaria won independence in 1185. The Second Bulgarian Kingdom lasted until 1396 when the Ottomans conquered them. Ottoman rule ended in 1878, and Bulgaria has been an independent nation ever since (full independence was achieved in 1908 actually).

Hawke9, Meluhhan, Guandao and 5 others like this.
  12. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

It's not a matter of favoritism, so much as what actually adds something unique to the game.

Outside of the Ottomans, there aren't really any frontrunners for Turkic representation, so they are going to be prioritized just to add flavor to the game.

"Greek Rome," on the other hand, is an extremely duplicative concept that doesn't add much aeshetically or mechanically to the game. It's largely included on principle more than being interesting in and of itself.

Which, btw, I was hoping if we had to have Byzantium again, that the design would at least be interesting, but this Byzzie design is so boring.

Navelgazer and 8housesofelixir like this.
  13. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

I don't know... I find it interesting and so do many others.

14. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Anyone placing odds on whether Sean Bean gives "Byzantium" the trochaic or iambic pronunciation?

Hawke9, Socrates- and conorbebe like this.
  15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I frkn love it. Has everything I look for, plus cool hippo and cool affiliated wonder.

edit: but i wonder, if you have a resource free unit and upgrade it, will it still be tagged as resource free? I would expect so, but you never know with civ vi.

16. Lonecat Nekophrodite

So around the time of Basil II, Byzantium became more and more slavic? And what did Jugoslavian leaders think of Byzantine Empire? and what did successor states think of Byzantium? A symbol of national unity, a religious tyrant? or what else?

Moderator Action: We are discussing the game in this thread, not history. Please take it to the History forum and do not derail this thread. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

?????
    How is Byzantium duplicative?
    It isn't like ancient Greek with Pericles or Gorgo.
    Nor is it like Hellenistic empire with Alexander the Great.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I would say all the parts of this Byzantium synergize with each other really well. It might be boring (dom civs are not that fun, I agree), but it is kind of elegantly boring.

I do wish, in the future, there shall be a Byzantium design that focus on the bureaucratic part of it. We have enough representation of Byzantine military and religion now.

19. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

For me it's just another Maya. Not nearly as interesting as Ethiopia, and really pushing closer to GC in terms of having a very vanilla, narrow playstyle.

Vaguely. Had it come out three years ago I think it would have been on par with expectations.

But yes, I'm in a similar boat where we have for some reason amenities represented by not bureacracy, trade, or production. It just kind of reinforces for me why I was never a fan of Byzantium to begin with: because its most archetypal aspects are just bland military/religious domination, appealing to the most banal aspects of history.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  20. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

how is Byzantium another Maya? It is OPPOSIT of Maya.
    Ethiopea is narrow as well if you want to look at it.
    you saying Byzantium is insignificant?
    why I never!