1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Except the bonus Great Prophet points from Holy Sites...?

2. Tinker

Tinker Prince

They get extra Great Prophet points for each Holy Site, so there's a small boost.

3. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

The extra great prophet point per holy site will add up to a lot of faith over teh course of a whole game, since unusable prophet points give faith. That could be cool.

Dromon has additional range; a 2 range naval unit in the classical era could be game changing in the right situation.

Overall though, far too war focused for me. Hopefully Gaul is more infrastructure based

4. Vilvatiktan

Vilvatiktan Chieftain

Byzantium First Look First Impression:
    - This Civ music is a 100/10 :bowdown:
    - That is a really powerful religious Civ, their strategy basically will just be snowballing and trampling any other adherents or non-adherents civs of their religion. This will be fun to see them against the Ottomans in the TSL map :dance:
    - Two UU, naval and cavalry, dang it!!:ar15:
    -A UD with free units, yep, I'm just gonna stay away from this civ like what I do to Monty. They literally have fun killing others :badcomp:

5. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Well.. there's the extra GP point for Holy Sites... not much, but not nothing either

ferretbacon likes this.
  6. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's got 3 promotions so maybe they named it??

nzcamel, Meluhhan, Hawke9 and 5 others like this.
  7. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

errrm extra Great prophet points?

8. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

yeah well... maybe, but then the question becomes WHY mess with us that way ? :lol:

9. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

Byzantium seems to have a decently functional design, so that's one difference at least.

10. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

If they had those tools, they would be insta-bannable from MP :)
    Now there's at least some brakes for them not to go berserk from turn 1. They'll have to work to get a religion, but then they're loose and unleashed upon the world.

11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Interesting that Brazil got a water park district patched in for them when that district was released, but Basil only has the land version.

So now I"m wondering... who could have ONLY a unique water park, but not a land version? Maybe something like Dubai...

Pfeffersack and conorbebe like this.
  12. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Woow, these domination civs included in NFP have been monstrous, first Gran Colombia and now Byzantine basically on the same level. It makes me think that the old ones deserve some kind of balance.

Also, I loved the Hippodrome, very beautiful on the map.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    nzcamel, Guandao, Hawke9 and 12 others like this.
  13. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

Okay I have updated the Features Thread with everything I saw in the first Look, please let me know if I missed anything

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Wasn't that a regular horseman icon? It was probably just promoted twice and they named it that way.

Hakan-i Cihan and tedhebert like this.
  15. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Ooh. I am pleasantly surprised. I wasn't looking forward to Byzantium much but I do enjoy hybrid Religion/X civs like Spain, Mali, Ethiopia and now Byzantium. The faith economy is a lot of fun but micromanaging religious units is not, so I'm a sucker for anyone who gives you an alternative way to play a religious game.

They do seem pretty strong overall but maybe a little slower to get moving than your average Dom Civ since neither Quads nor Knights are super-fast and you'll want some sort of religion either yours or borrowed going on?

nzcamel and AntSou like this.
  16. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I am not a militarist player, but I do like the interconnected Byzantine design. And the fact that Basil II Bulgaroktonos was really chosen as the Byzantine leader. And their music. Might this be the Civ to dethrone Gran Colombia's briliant theme as the most OP theme of the pack?

17. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

wait a minute..
    crusade belief is a MUST when you play as Byzantium,,,
    VERY fitting.

nzcamel, Hawke9, Inawordyes and 11 others like this.
  18. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

I mean, Tagma was (and still is in the Greek military) a military unit; the closest I could compare it with is a battalion, but there are differences. So a Tagma could be anything from cavalry to Varangians to just a bunch of spear-wielding peasants. Kind of a weird choice to go for, but I guess their line of thinking was what you said, having to reconcile both the cataphract and the Varangians as they are both popular, but also making room for the dromon.

They named it, most likely as a tonge-in-cheek reference for those who know about Basil's history. They did a similar think when they had janissaries named "new soldiers" in the Ottoman first look (which is what their Turkish name equivalent translates to).

nzcamel, Guandao, Meluhhan and 8 others like this.
  19. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

honestly though... Let's say you play a Byz game and decide to make full use of the Unique District and build one in every city with all the buildings (let's say 3 buildings)... If you have a civ with 8 cities, to be conservative. That still amounts to 32 free resource free heavy cavalry units. That's just insane to me.

20. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Yeah, +1 gpp per holy site is pretty big, that's a 100% bonus. I have no doubt I'll get a religion as Byzantium.

Spain really should get something similar. Perhaps +1 gpp from trade routes, but only until you form a religion so you don't get a ridiculous amount of excess GPP faith all game?

Datgingah likes this.