1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Chris41336

Chris41336 Chieftain

Anyone else think it is ironic than an empire defined by constant reduction in territory to a foreign religion is an offensive Civ both in conquest and religion? Don't get me wrong I will be playing this, but I can't help but feel like the perks here are basically only for Justinian's Byzantium (which was not even technically distinct from Rome culturally yet).

nzcamel, Meluhhan, Inawordyes and 5 others like this.
  2. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

So soldiers are coming after missionaries as you play with Byzantines :D
    Religion and military synergy kinda similar to Spanish or Polish, but stronger. I wonder if you receive a free cavalry unit even if you don't have the required strategic resources? If yes it is an even more powerful effect. Generally not my favorite but interesting to play. BTW great music!

3. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

So you can have Harald Hardrada on the battlefield even if Norway isn't in the game!

4. Mehpeps

Mehpeps Chieftain

Pretty sure Basil reuses some animations from Robert the Bruce, looks like he's trying to place his hand on a nonexistent sword

5. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Wow, that religious/military synergy is crazy good.

Would have loved to see it on a Teutonic Order Civ, but a crusade is a crusade

ShimmerGloom likes this.
  6. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

Byzantine borders fluctuated in both ways for the entirety of its existence. To assume Justinian is the only emperor to have increased its borders (or influence in general) is a generally held misconception. You can check the borders before and after Basil's reign to see the militaristic focus is very much justified.

7. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

No, soldiers pray that the enemy would have enough units to kill. Enemy units' kills spread Byz religion. You can save on missionaries and prophets.

CoconutTank and Caprikel like this.
  8. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Can we have an achievement for that? Too bad we can't donate military troops between civs anymore, as we could have an achievement for that between Harald and Basil

8housesofelixir and Vilvatiktan like this.
  9. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

It is, base strength of the unit is 36.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, you could basically found a religion, go Crusade, and then spam cavalry to take on the world. You already have a mini-GG in the Tagma too to help. When you start getting war weariness, just build up your Hippodromes for mass amenities and free units. Definitely feels like military conquest backed by religion, or as others have said, basically what Spain should have been.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  11. Socrates-

Socrates- Chieftain

Seems like a fun civ to play. Awesome soundtrack & epic beard: i like it!

Tiger Genocide and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

My info quickly came from Wikipedia because I wanted to know about it and that is the best reason I could come up with. I'm sure you know more than what I was able too glance over in a couple of minutes. Also the Dromon was my wanted out of the three so I was at least glad it was confirmed beforehand. :)

I'm not so sure spear-wielding peasants would make for a good UU.:shifty:

13. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

They are equally strong in religious victory. You don't have to focus on the military. Just use them to spread your religion. I like the design. You even receive an amenities bonus if you want to go, warmonger.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  14. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Basil is a great choice, but it’s odd they went from a generic Tagmatic heavy cavalry (clearly a Cataphract by any other name) instead of the Varangian Guard, who were actually established by Basil II.

Sure the Varangians were part of the tagmata but these knight replacements bear little resemblance to the Dane-axe wielding Scandinavians and Saxons who generally fought on foot.

The rest of the design seems very powerful. It will be interesting to see how well the synergy between conversion and conquest works in practice.

I’m not sure which period of Byzantine history an be described as “comfy city building” :lol:

LoneRebel, nzcamel, Guandao and 13 others like this.
  15. Starina

Starina Warlord

Era points for turning the city-state! and +3 to attack power for each! Wow!!! :eek:

16. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Now see this is a GOOD way to design a militaristic civ. Something like Gran Colombia just made me wince by being blatantly OP and not very interesting strategically, but this has some really cool and unique synergies between domination and religion that actually makes you think a bit

So far Macedon has always been my favourite domination civ for sure for similar synergistic reasons with their various abilities, and this is somewhat in the same vein. Powerful for sure, but in a fun and unique kind of way

It's kinda like they took Spain's strategic niche and now actually made abilities that are fun instead

17. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

I'm probably being short sighted but I just don't understand civs that combine religion and war (like Spain). Most of the time domination victory just seems quicker than religious especially if you use Faith to buy units. I guess the plan is to invade civs who found religions and maybe peacefully spread religion to the others so you don't have to invade every civ like you would for domination? Even so, most civs are going to see you as a warmonger and hate you anyway.

18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

So it's a Military focused Civ which synergises very well with the Religion aspect of the game.

Imo this is how military Civs should be designed. Macedon and Zulu just bore the hell out of me. But then, I'm a big fan of Spain's design (other than the early difficulty to get a prophet).

The only thing I don't like about this is that the bonus to Strength includes your own Holy City. So you have a permanent +3, +7 with Oligarchy for any non-cavalry units, +11 with a Tagma nearby. You should have to work for those first +3.

Meluhhan and 8housesofelixir like this.
  19. Weraptor

Weraptor King

They just didn't manage to convert the Ottomans in time!

20. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Wonder what his agenda will be. Hating everyone with a different religion is too simple. But hating everyone who converts his cities is already taken.