1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

Hating people of the same religion would mechanically fit because the AI declare war on nation they hate, and Basil II would prefer to attack (hate) people of his religion.

2. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Chieftain

And by that time, you've won a religious victory already!

Meluhhan, CoconutTank, bbbt and 7 others like this.
  3. kryat

kryat King

It sounds like Basil is a top contender for either military or religion victories. His apostles are going to start quite strong, and will get stronger as you get closer to victory. Likewise, you can get very strong CS bonuses on cavalry, and could get numerous free cav units.

4. conorbebe

conorbebe King

So first impressions, the Byzantines seem very strong. You could probably win a Religious Victory by accident with them whilst trying to go for Domination. I would have liked to see some economic bonuses though.

Love the visuals for the Hippodrome district! Looks really unique and visibly distinct on the map, as it should be. Probably my second favourite behind the Cothon.

But I agree that it's an odd choice to go with the Tagma over the Varangian Guard, as I don't really see what special connection they have to Basil II. Still, it's nice to see the Dromon return to Civ!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

speaking of which... kinda funny how Hagia Sofia has more use with Byzantine than with Ottomans... I guess it is fitting since Byzantines built it first.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Well, this isn't going to be my favorite civ. :( Lovely music, though. I understand why he's wearing armor, but it feels like a missed opportunity to show off the opulence of Byzantine clothing.

Guandao, Meluhhan, bbbt and 7 others like this.
  7. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

Like a lot of Religious Civs in the game, yes. But Byzantium is at least in the camp that helps you get a Religion faster.
    Byzantium seems pretty strong, but dependent on the Civs in your game. If you get say, Japan, Russia, India, and the other religious powerhouses, you’ll have some trouble getting that combat strength up. But, if you don’t get the super religious Civs in your game, you’ll be able to steamroll everyone else in your game.
    I love the choice of Basil II here too. I do sorta wish that Civ tried to emulate the economic side of the Byzantines, since they were a really important trade network. But if they’re going to go all in on faith & conquest, I can understand it, and Basil II is maybe the best figurehead for that aspect of the empire.

8. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

According to the screenshot of the leader info, it looks like the knight replacement is actually at Divine Right. I can definitely see myself 99% building a bunch of entertainment districts ready to drop in a bunch of knights to conquer. Since you probably want your religion early, they seem more like a medieval conquering civ, not an early game one.

9. kotpeter

kotpeter Chieftain

May I please clarify for some people around here, that you don't get +3 Combat Strength per city with religion conquered? I saw this mentioned multiple times, but it's false: you get +3 Combat Strength per every Holy City, and Holy City is a city which founded a religion, so there's only 1 such city per religion.

10. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

My meaning is not really the towers; but the numerous big foothills too, and it was one of the wonders of medieval era.
    Too be fair, after Constantinople Fall, it was always a symbol, but no more a wonder, it was highly renoved (with the foothills), it was needed, but it's totally changed the imagery of the building. Which is more ... "piled up" now and less "pure" (in the sense of architecture, not about the religious reconversion ). Ottomans have outclassed hagia sofia, with hugier mosques with innovative and beautiful architectures. So could be fair to have Hagia Sofia as Byzantine version, the alternative version when you build it with Ottomans, and an additional Ottoman wonder, they deserve it too, imho

11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

She wasn't necessarily the best leader choice, but I still miss Theodora in her boudoir! Also preferred the design of the Civ V iteration, to be honest.

Fingers crossed Gaul are more my cup of tea.

conorbebe and Zaarin like this.
  12. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

One question:
    Do we receive a free unit from Hippodrome and UA even without strategic resources needed? And is no maintenance costs from Hippodrome are also applied to strategic resources?
    BTW Crusade, Taxis, and Tagma combo will be nice :D

Pfeffersack likes this.
  13. Weraptor

Weraptor King

They probably wanted both him and Tamar to feel unique?

conorbebe likes this.
  14. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Chieftain

Any other Byzantine, perhaps, but Basil was a little more dour and plain in his outfits in comparison.

Guandao, Hawke9, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  15. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Follows the trend of mimicking some of the leader¡s most iconic portrayals. Indeed Basils portrayal is indeed right out of this icon (plate bracelets included, altough missing the cape)

Spoiler :

Guess that means winged helmet, bare chest, for Amiborix, :woohoo:

16. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I don't miss her, but yeah, her wardrobe was spectacular.

Me, too.

Like I said, it's appropriate for Basil. It's just disappointing given the sumptuous nature of Byzantine dress.

17. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

It looks like the Hippodrome wins an award for the proportionally most improved unique district over its basic version: triple the amenities and a free heavy cavalry unit (and more when you add buildings), all at the usual half cost for a unique district. And based on the discussion so far, that's not enough to make the unique district a particularly exciting part of the civ design. I think that says a lot about the balance status of the default entertainment complex.

Overall, this is a civ where I wish they'd stayed closer to the Civ V design. Adding an additional religious belief made for a civ you could play in a huge number of different ways: 2 enhancer beliefs for faster religious spread, 2 founder beliefs for improved benefits of spread, 2 synergistic follower beliefs... That sort of customizability and replayability appeals to me a lot more than one more spin on a militaristic civ design.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Icicle, 8housesofelixir and Myomoto like this.
  18. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Well, they must have picked that for the Leader Ability name since “Bulgar-slayer” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. :p

Good to see Byzantium being represented on land and sea both once again.

Guandao and 8housesofelixir like this.
  19. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Yeah I would welcome bonus culture from the Hippodrome (come on) and just 1 Amenity.

20. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

Yes, and being suzerain of Yerevan would make this strategy much easier.