1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Hippodrome is a beautiful district, right up there with the Cothon and Lavra.

2. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

because it would be too OOC for basil II to wear exquisite costume? yes Byzantine costume was exquisite but not all Byzantine Emperors were exquisite.

Meluhhan and Ozymandias9891 like this.
  3. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Prince

The Street Carnival gives you 2 amenities and this monster district Hippodrome gives you 3. AND it looks so beautiful.

Hawke9, CoconutTank, Kjimmet and 5 others like this.
  4. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

I like them. War/religion is one my favourite play styles, and I've always liked Spain for that reason (despite how trying to get a religion early as them can be too tough).

Getting an extra prophet point is decent, as it becomes +1 faith later. However, other religious Civs can easily outproduce them in terms of raw faith, so war will most likely be very essential to protect your religion early.

5. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

can't wait to build it as Byzantine!

CoconutTank, agonistes and bite like this.
  6. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

It seems he mainly fought against people who were also Eastern Orthodox (Bulgarians and Georgia). So his agenda doesnt seem to make much sense. He would also get most out of his abilities if he attacked people who share his religion. Seems weird.

Tech Osen, borad, Meluhhan and 4 others like this.
  7. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Really? I thought they were quite bad. I always hated that the UA was entirely contingent upon founding a religion, but that they received no bonus to founding one. It also didn't help that I generally disliked two UU civs in V (no longer an issue now that every civ is guaranteed one and one on UUs and UIs).

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

They're good. I was hoping for a builder civ, but it's hard to dock them points because they're not something I had in my head.

9. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

wait so he is same as Philip and Saladin?

LAME! seriously civ 6 teams are getting lazy with the agenda these days.

Equilin, Hawke9 and Pitohui like this.
  10. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

You only get bonus from each Holy City, not every city on the map that has your religion, correct?

11. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

C- somewhat underpowered.
    Any civ who's bonus is pretty much 100% tied to having a religion is terrible on deity... beelining astronomy is too risky.

At least the extra prophet points from holy sites make them a bit better than Georgia.

12. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

Firaxis has always flip flopped between historical agendas, and agendas that make sense from an AI perspective. Since the agenda controls the AI, I wish they would stick the latter.

Edit: oh I just reread your post, and as you say this agenda actually seems to be neither.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Not quite the same. Arabia also likes it if you have a bunch of religious buildings. Spain mostly hates it when you spread religion to them (Phil and Baz are NOT going to get along!)

CoconutTank and Kupe Navigator like this.
  14. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

The best part of Civ 5's Byzantium was their colour scheme. Purple on Periwinkle. :love::love: gorg gorg gorg (and ofc Theodora's impressive leader screen)

15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I like how they specifically put the Byzantium capital (you can see the palace in the city center) on a small peninsula in this screenshot. Just like IRL with Çatalca Peninsula.

borad, Guandao, Myomoto and 3 others like this.
  16. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I mean, yeah, the aesthetic was on point. Don't forget their music! But the actual gameplay design was lacking for me.

17. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

playing as Byzantium on a true location Europe map is going to be interesting.

Hawke9, Kjimmet, Datgingah and 2 others like this.
  18. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I'll agree about them not having a buff to gaining a religion (Spain's problem at the moment), but the extra belief was so much fun! Made for some really ridiculous games if you could get Desert Folklore and then pick two faith-giving buildings... cheesy, yes, but very enjoyable.

I'm just not loving the military focus this time, even if it interacts with religion in an interesting way. But I think my problem is more with the design of religion in 6 as a whole rather than any one Civ.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  19. dbwithlemon

dbwithlemon Chieftain

Why do I suddenly want a Whopper

20. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Warlord

From the video it looks like we're already doubling up not just on the name for the capital, but also Nicomedia/Izmit. :crazyeye:

bite likes this.