[NFP] Byzantium First Look

You only get bonus from each Holy City, not every city on the map that has your religion, correct?
Фpparently yes, but in the FirstLook Vatican was turned and Byzantine (city state) received +3 era points and also +3 attack strength.
I wrote about this already 2 times here, but no one responded

It seems he mainly fought against people who were also Eastern Orthodox (Bulgarians and Georgia). So his agenda doesnt seem to make much sense. He would also get most out of his abilities if he attacked people who share his religion. Seems weird.
I agree. That does make more sense especially since he gets combat strength against those of the same religion. Wait maybe not but still.

Btw we haven't seen Antioch yet right, either as a Byzantine city or still a city-state?

From the video it looks like we're already doubling up not just on the name for the capital, but also Nicomedia/Izmit. :crazyeye:

It was that that made me go .... oh no

Фpparently yes, but in the FirstLook Vatican was turned and Byzantine (city state) received +3 era points and also +3 attack strength.
I wrote about this already 2 times here, but no one responded

You're incorrect. The +3 attack strength came from founding their own religion. The era points came from converting the Vatican City as a city-state, not because it was a Holy City.

I don't think Philip's +4 CS applies to religious units anymore. So Spain conquers players with other religion, whereas Byzantium does the same to players of the same religon, similarly to Poland. Imagine having Crusade on top of all those bonuses...

Yea, but that’s not really how crusade ends up working. You aren’t going to burn faith to flip a city you are going to conquer. Apostles are too expensive.

I think here you faith flip your friends and allies for the boost from holy sites, and war on your enemies.

It depends on if killing a unit actually flips a city, or merely adds pressure/influence.

Cause cities are going to be falling so fast, most are going to flip *after* being conquered.

But these guys will break records for an rv.

because it would be too OOC for basil II to wear exquisite costume? yes Byzantine costume was exquisite but not all Byzantine Emperors were exquisite.
You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Basil II's portrayal is wrong. I'm saying it's a shame they missed the opportunity to show off Byzantine splendor--Byzantium's defining attribute from a Western perspective.

The Dromon is going to be situationally yuge. Anything with that much range in the early game is gonna PWN RUMP, especially versus the AI.

honestly though... Let's say you play a Byz game and decide to make full use of the Unique District and build one in every city with all the buildings (let's say 3 buildings)... If you have a civ with 8 cities, to be conservative. That still amounts to 32 free resource free heavy cavalry units. That's just insane to me.

Free heavy cavalry units that can attack cities!

Generally speaking, I don't go for the Cavalry-focused civs, and I don't go domination. But I'm excited by this design. It actually has a true-to-Byzantium medieval focus, which was sorely lacking in Civ5, and encourages spamming of Entertainment Districts and Holy Sites, which is unique on its own even without how powerful the religion/domination synergy looks (in theory, at least.)

Also, that Hippodrome just looks gorgeous.

This just might beat Alexander in the 'ow no not you' neighbor states
Him and Montezuma. No thank you, crawl back in your hole.

(Although I do like having at least one civ that attempts challenging you militarily on the map, i just hate when they start 10 tiles from me)

You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Basil II's portrayal is wrong. I'm saying it's a shame they missed the opportunity to show off Byzantine splendour--Byzantium's defining attribute from a Western perspective.
They did show it in its UD... it looks amazing compared to other unique ED... like street Carnival
Byzantium is more than just pretty clothes and jewels you know.

Top Bottom