1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Byzantium & Gaul Developer Livestream Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Sep 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Intriguing that it requires a barracks, and not barracks or stable.

nzcamel and hhhhhh like this.
  2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

The other side of that is that some Wonders are attempted by Every AI Civ that has any chance at all of building them:
    Great Bath - in 90+% of games, the first Wonder built, even if I select a Cold Dry Map with a minimum of rivers or floodplains on it.
    Machu Pichu - If there is a mountain anywhere - in fact, if it is the ONLY mountain anywhere, someone will try to Top it off with MP. Another absolute certainty in every game.

So, the Zeuster may be attempted constantly by every Civ with any place for it, or it may be ignored even by Civs that have a very good reason to want it, as mentioned before. The point is that the Human Player, who is occasionally rational, does not have an overwhelming need or desire for the Wonder except in certain situations or when playing certain Civs.

What will be interesting is to see how much it is prioritized over, say, the Terracotta Army, which has virtually the same placement requirements, by the varius AI Civs . . .

nzcamel and Zaarin like this.
  3. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

To my knowledge Terracotta requires a flat grassland or plain tile, while SoZ only requires a flat tile.

SoZ is similar to Alhambra in this case: Alhambra only requires a hill and the AI can plop it on a desert hill or a tundra hill. At least in my experience, Alhambra is usually more competitive than Terracotta. I would image SoZ has at least the same level of competitiveness.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

The only reason I can think of is that the unit bonuses, sans the Ram, are all tied to melee (Barrack xp boosted) instead of cavalry (Stable xp boosted).

Something I just realized, in Civ III SoZ auto-produced Ancient Cavalry, instead of in VI where it produces melee units.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Well, at the time that the Statue of Zeus was built (c.435 BC, just before the start of the Peloponnesian wars), the Greeks didn't have much in the way of cavalry, so hoplites (or spearmen) make more sense.

Kjimmet, Hawke9, nzcamel and 5 others like this.
  6. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The loss of green district adjacency is a huge loss, because you are now strictly at the mercy of terrain features. Oof. At least 2 iron mines will get you the extra point from the mines.
    You really need that stone near your spawn.
    The first instance of text saying +2 of next to a quarry is part of the text description which is written that way due to that text being automatically placed in the Civ overview on the loading screen etc.

The list of adjacencies below it are automatically assembled from the adjacency table entries for it and are what it actually gets adjacency from. What you are interpreting is perhaps a good case of inconsistent style on their text descriptions.

Laurana Kanan and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  7. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

This Dramatic Age game mode has a few Southeast Asian/Thai flavour policy cards! Sakdina is an old Thai ranking system, Mandala State is as quoted, and Despotic Paternalism is associated with Thailand as well. Along with Sukritact's Siam mod, I feel like my country (Thailand) is well represented - even if it's not an official game civ.

sonicmyst, Bosque, Haig and 1 other person like this.
  8. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

As an East Asian I would say Despotic Paternalism is also something very East Asian lol - but for sure, Sakdina and Mandala model is very, very SAE, people who put them in have a great flavor of SAE culture and history, the cards are very elegantly designed as well. I really enjoy these aspects and have a good feeling about them even though I am not a Southeast Asian.

ExtremeGardens likes this.
  9. topsecret

topsecret Believer Supporter

I know the AI does this because it's the AI, but it also has the effect of a "hate draft", or rather, a hate build.
    But yes, it would be way nicer if we felt like they actually deserved it instead of just tried to spite us! :D

nzcamel likes this.
  10. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

In just under 12 hours we can try all of it out for ourselves . . .

And then no doubt start a whole new set of discussions about it all.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Probably not being talked about much because they aren't buffs to the policies in the standard game; but are how they will be only if you have the extreme ages mode on.
    Which we'll all do a few times; but I doubt many will decide they want to always have this one on!

12. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Prince

Yes, or the updated version: Victoria denounces you/ declares surprise war 'but in a specific and limited way'...

13. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

I'm already seeing the tremendous synergy between Mandala State and Freleanor.

+20% production towards medieval, renaissance and industrial wonders. So she has some incentive to build wonders. Now, just imagine: -1 loyalty per turn per Great Work and -2 loyalty per turn per Wonder... If she enters a Golden Age and her neighbors are in a Dark Age, she'll just straight up gobble up every bordering city.

Maybe she'll be the first I'll try with this mode I think :)

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  14. Casworon

Casworon Prince

Just to say I am VERY excited about dramatic ages. This is starting to sound like what civ vi really needed to balance tall vs wide, and also done in such an interesting way. Also maybe to make diety a bit more of a challenge.

Tbh this is the first thing in the NFP that has really excited me. Now I am very much looking forward too seeing what the future game modes offer

15. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

They are not cut off, they are simply folded due to his pose. In the First Look video it's rather obvious he is missing no fingers.

Sidenote: Where have you read about Basil losing 2 fingers during the Bulgarian campaign? Genuinely curious because I have never come across a source that mentions it.

16. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

:p

CoconutTank, bbbt, sonicmyst and 11 others like this.
  17. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

Whoops. I gotta admit though, the gif is hilarious :lol:

CoconutTank, bbbt, MrRadar and 10 others like this.
  18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I know! I typed "joke orbit" and got exactly what I was hoping for :lol:

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I like how it takes 14 months.

20. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

I wonder why that might be... :rolleyes:

UPDATE: I meant because they hired a guy who does premodern Thai politics!

This was exactly my idea. Mandalas sought to win influence not by the projection of power, but by the creation of spectacles in the center, to draw in outliers with the force and power of culture.

I also wanted to get reference points for politics that were not based upon Greek and Roman stuff.

21. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Wow, how sneaky, a message that will start 200 speculation posts while we are focusing on trying to get the patch notes ! (or waiting to upload the update for those are not shamelessly on the forum at work like myself)