[NFP] Byzantium & Gaul Pack (September 2020) - Patch Notes Discussion

It is a mode, so no I don’t think so.
This is how ages were initially developed but because it was too punishing, they changed it for gathering storm.

That’s a shame. If that’s the case, then there aren’t really any significant balance changes this month.

Still the new content is the most interesting so far, so I’m not too disappointed.

Byzantine Natural Features:

Rivers: Kizilirmak, Maritsa, Meander, Prut, Sakarya
Volcanoes: Agri Dagi, Mt. Erciyes, Mt. Hasan, Nemrut
Mountains: Balkan Mtns., Caucasus, Kaçkar Mtns., Nur Mtns., Pontic Alps, Taurus Mtns.
Deserts: Karapinar Desert
Lakes: Egirdir, Burdur, Beysehir, Iznik, Van, Tuz
Bodies of Water: Aegean Sea, Black Sea, Gulf of Izmir, Mediterranean Sea, Sea of Marmara, Levantine Sea

Gallic Natural Features:

Rivers: Aisne, Meuse, Loire, Rhine, Rhône, Scheldt, Seine
Volcanoes: (none)
Mountains: Alps, Cévennes, Eifel Mtns., Jura Mtns., Pyrenees, Vosges
Deserts: (none)
Lakes: Geneva, Neuchâtel
Bodies of Water: Bay of Biscay, English Channel, Mediterranean Sea

Unfortunate that Byzantium mostly uses the Turkish names and that France/Germany/Netherlands's lists aren't updated in the files, so they don't get to use these new Gallic names.

Byzantine Cities:
Constantinople, Thessalonica, Adrianople, Nicaea, Antioch, Nicomedia, Ancyra, Edessa, Sinope, Amaseia, Cherson, Dyrrachium, Nicopolis, Seleucia, Iconium, Melitene, Bari, Dorylaeum, Amorium, Koloneia, Tyana, Attalea, Sebasteia, Theodosiopolis, Mesembria, Arcadiopolis, Mount Athos, Dorystolon, Zara

Gallic Cities:
Aduatuca, Bibrax, Noviodunum, Samarobriva, Durocorteron, Ratumacos, Tervanna, Bagacum, Divodurum, Alesia, Avaricum, Lisieux, Lutetia, Lugudunon, Cenabum, Meledunum, Turones, Autricum, Bibracte, Darioritum, Uxellodunum, Gergovia, Vesontio, Brenodurum, Crociatonum, Agedincum, Limonum, Andematunnum, Condate, Aregenua, Anicium, Ruscino

Decentralization: Cities with 6 or less population receive +4 loyalty per turn. BUT: Cities with more than 6 population receive -15% Gold.

Wow that's a clever way of implementing "decentralization" under the current game mechanic. I really like this design and the reference points for politics behind it. (Sadly it's just about loyalty though.)

Someone asked this in the Twitch stream of the developer preview yesterday and the official answer was no. :(

That said, I haven't actually checked.
You're kidding, I must have missed that yesterday. I just looked and the modinfo for Maya/GC was updated because they added a new translation file to the DLC, so it definitely looks like the fixed modinfo I posted in the Bug Reports forum will still be required.

You're kidding. I just looked and the modinfo for Maya/GC was updated because they added a new translation file to the DLC, so it definitely looks like the fixed modinfo I posted in the Bug Reports forum will still be required.

It's kind of amazing that this trivial bug still isn't fixed after a few months. The official response yesterday was to submit a bug ticket to Firaxis, as if they weren't even aware of it. That seems impossible, since they read these forums, but maybe whoever was moderating the chat just didn't know about it.

It's kind of amazing that this trivial bug still isn't fixed after a few months. The official response yesterday was to submit a bug ticket to Firaxis, as if they weren't even aware of it. That seems impossible, since they read these forums, but maybe whoever was moderating the chat just didn't know about it.
A trivial bug that still continues to leave me without content I paid for four months ago. I mean, come on.

And they're DEFINITELY aware, I've seen multiple people asking them about it on Twitter. They respond to plenty of other questions but never any response about this. I guess because they knew they weren't going to bother to fix it and didn't want to actually say that.

also the turn one unit for gaul doesn't seem to give the culture, didn't think it should but was wondering how they'd handle that

• Improved AI’s desire for Science and building districts.
Great, I'm tired of seeing the AI spam out random cities all game, build an encampment, and then do nothing with them. I hope the AI also decides to make more tile improvements.

I peeked into the files, Gaul's start bias is tier 2 for:
Copper, diamonds, jade, mercury, salt, silver, and iron. Byzantium has no bias.

The modifier only works when you train the unit. Free units or units bought with Gold or Faith don't count. Has to be built.

The livestream seemed to imply the units from SoZ gave the culture though. Brings up a good test - if they build the Venetian Arsenal, do they get double the culture there? If so, they would have arguably the best source to convert late production to culture by spamming boats.

It seems Gaul's warrior replacement cannot upgrade into swordsmen, and must wait until musketmen. A very odd choice, considering that swordsmen are an Iron unit and gaul focuses on mining.

Also, the Oppidium industrial zone replacement comes with Iron Working (swordsman tech) as well...

Top Bottom