[NFP] Byzantium & Gaul Pack (September 2020) - Patch Notes Discussion

I think Kongo or Brazil are going to be big Biosphere builders. Kongo has the neighborhoods while Brazil also gets benefits from the increased tile appeal on whatever rainforest remains at that point. And then you just spam out solar and wind energy improvements.

Hah, the Biosphere does so much that I forgot about the appeal part. I was only thinking about power. But I'd rather do a windmill and solar panel tourism victory for the sheer novelty, even if lots of national parks are probably better (and earlier).

Hah, the Biosphere does so much that I forgot about the appeal part. I was only thinking about power. But I'd rather do a windmill and solar panel tourism victory for the sheer novelty, even if lots of national parks are probably better (and earlier).

Russia would be good too. You can put a blanket of solar panels across the frozen tundra.

The Netherlands has a bonus to building Dams, and those things will be monsters with Biosphere.

There's also a Policy that increases Power from Renewable sources. You will want that if you build Biosphere.

Last edited:
Elf, the forest-lovers, hate the industrial Dwarves. At least according to Tolkien.
Yeah, the Orcs feel more like Germany, well gameplay wise. :shifty:

I'm saying this as an American with German descent so don't hate me. :)

Russia would be good too. You can put a blanket of solar panels across the frozen tundra.

The Netherlands has a bonus to building Dams, and those things will be monsters with Biosphere.

Hmm, Netherlands makes sense. As if I need another game where I compulsively re-roll my start for two hours to get somewhere with a lot of polder spots, though....

Why would Vienna be a Gallic city? Maybe you meant Vindobona though that was actually a Roman military camp.

As @Lord Lakely posted, he meant Vienne, sometimes spelled Vienna, which is at the confluence of the Rhone and Gere Rivers near modern Lyon. It was the 'capital' or main Dunon of the Allobriges tribe of Gauls. After the Romans conquered Gaul, Vienne remained one of the most important towns in the province, and was officially made a colonia by Augustus and renamed Colonia Julia Augusta Florentia Viennensium - I'd bet anything that no one outside of official documents used that title in place of 'Vienne/Vienna though!

One of the modern attractions in Vienne is a pyramidal monument once part of the Hippodrome in the Roman Imperial city, so I'm adding it to my list of potential Byzantine cities for that reason alone . . .

I think Kongo or Brazil are going to be big Biosphere builders. Kongo has the neighborhoods while Brazil also gets benefits from the increased tile appeal on whatever rainforest remains at that point. And then you just spam out solar and wind energy improvements.

China will benefit because the extra builder charge will make it easier to spam out those tile improvements.
Bull Mouse Teddy will be an obvious choice because anything that gives + appeal is amazing for him.
Maori of course because they will not be removing rainforests. Plus for RPers they are the "clean energy" civ.
Canada is interesting. Solar panels across the tundra and the extra tourism also generates diplo favor.

I have no interest in the Statue of Zeus. At least it will eat up AI hammers. The Biosphere I found amazing. As a clean energy guy I love dams and avoid coal plants. i also don't chop rainforests especially since they can get lumber mills. The biosphere is the first thing to get me to build a neighborhood in more than a year. They are just spy magnets and more threatening than another civ. I instantly built a spy just to sit on the neighborhood. You can get a lot of power and decent tourism out of the Biosphere though. When is saw it needed a nerighborhood I almost wrote it off but now it will be a staple. Also saves oil for the military

I have no interest in the Statue of Zeus. At least it will eat up AI hammers. The Biosphere I found amazing. As a clean energy guy I love dams and avoid coal plants. i also don't chop rainforests especially since they can get lumber mills. The biosphere is the first thing to get me to build a neighborhood in more than a year. They are just spy magnets and more threatening than another civ. I instantly built a spy just to sit on the neighborhood. You can get a lot of power and decent tourism out of the Biosphere though. When is saw it needed a nerighborhood I almost wrote it off but now it will be a staple. Also saves oil for the military

The DQ can protect your Neighborhood, fyi. Build them next to it.

I really, really hope this is a bug that will get fixed. That sounds obscene. Definitely very exploitable, you could just let that city continuously flip to a free city and farm heavy cav.

I feel like the 'free cav on conquering a city with an EC' isn't even intentional and should be patched out. If nerfing Victoria because her one melee unit a city was too much...

As @Lord Lakely posted, he meant Vienne, sometimes spelled Vienna, which is at the confluence of the Rhone and Gere Rivers near modern Lyon. It was the 'capital' or main Dunon of the Allobriges tribe of Gauls. After the Romans conquered Gaul, Vienne remained one of the most important towns in the province, and was officially made a colonia by Augustus and renamed Colonia Julia Augusta Florentia Viennensium - I'd bet anything that no one outside of official documents used that title in place of 'Vienne/Vienna though!

One of the modern attractions in Vienne is a pyramidal monument once part of the Hippodrome in the Roman Imperial city, so I'm adding it to my list of potential Byzantine cities for that reason alone . . .
Yeah that makes sense. I've never seen the one in France spelled like that before. In English it's Vienne and in French it's Vièna.
When I saw the way it was spelled I assumed it was the one in Austria.

Well I see now that the Romans called it Vienna. Still that would be very confusing if they did decide to add Austria later or Vienna as a city-state.

A little addendum to that: Vienne is also the second city on Civ 4's Celtic city list - a list that is heavily Gaul-centric. That's why I took note of its absence on the Civ 6's list.

Yeah that makes sense. I've never seen the one in France spelled like that before. In English it's Vienne and in French it's Vièna.

The French just call it Vienne lol. Vièna is the name in the local dialect.

When I saw the way it was spelled I assumed it was the one in Austria.

A sensible mistake to make - I wish we knew for certain what the Celtic name of Vienne was - "Vienna" is merely the latin transcription of it and Latin has its drawbacks. We know the name is Celtic in origin though as the suffix -enna is common in Celtic/Gallic placenames (See: Nemetocenna (modern-day Arras), another notable absentee from the Gallic city list), but we do not know for certain where the prefix "Vi" came from.

As you yourself noted, Vienna in Austria (which I'll refer to as Wien to avoid confusion) was known as Vindobona by the Romans (from the Celtic Uindobona (pronounced: 'Windobona'), which means White Village. Not sure where Wien's present-day English name came from though.

Well I see now that the Romans called it Vienna. Still that would be very confusing if they did decide to add Austria later or Vienna as a city-state.

Just call it Wien, lol. But yes Vienna's absense from the game is odd, but I would think there might be a bit of overlap with Hungary if they are eventually added (since several important Austro-Hungarian cities located outside of Hungary's current borders, such as Klausenburg (Koloszvar) and Agram (Zagreb) already appear on Hungary's list.). Maybe the Devs are keeping their options open - but I moreso think they don't want to overload the game with too many European City states, like they did in Civ 5.

Hi, Could somebody show me a screenshot with all new jersey colors for Basil and Ambiorix? I'm not able to check it myself as I would buy this expansion after 1st and I'm very curious.

I don't have the screenshot here. I checked it and, iirc, colors are two shades of green and two shades of orange. Nothing very remarkable, tbh.

well, BSOD restarting to a boot loop on my PC. :\ I'm sure it isn't the game but it kind of puts a damper on things . . .

The Tagma ability doesn't seem to be working for religious units for me... there's no +4 to apostles which is kind of a bummer. (I've only tried with the "free" tagma with the hippodromes though, haven't hard-built one)

It seems that the patch notes are accurate. The AIs seem to be doing a better job accruing Science and staying contemporary with me.

The Colonial War casus belli is harder to get now (already very hard to get before).

Oh really? Wow.. The celts used to have Bibracte as their capital during civ 2 but now they're simply a city state.

Bibracte or Bibrakte was the capital of the Aedui Gaullic tribe and I have seen archeologists' estimates that it may have had a population of near 20,000, which would make it by far the largest city in Europe north of Italy or Greece.
On the other hand, it was only one of several 'tribal capitals' in Gaul, so Ambiorix, not being a member of the Aedui, gets his own, different capital.

Top Bottom