Byzantium

inthesomeday

Immortan
Consider this:

Byzantium is nothing super special in terms of the civ itself. Fairly non memorable in terms of uniques and UHVs.

Likewise, Rome, which I definitely think is one of the more important civs in world history, especially in Europe, has a UHV that is rather boring. Specifically the one related to infrastructure; there's little reason to build amphitheatres usually unless you have nothing else to build, and Rome normally can support its own health without aqueducts. I dislike this UHV because it requires a pretty strict play style most of the time without much room for error. The tech one is also sort of meh but it should be okay.

One UHV in the game I REALLY like is the Carthage one requiring a movement of the capital. I think that this could solve the problem of having two Rome civs when in history the Western Roman Empire resembled a collapse-to-core rather than a continuation of a civilization, in my opinion. What I propose is replacing one of Rome's UHVs with a similar one requiring the Romans to move their capital to Constantinople and to control both Christian holy shrines by a certain year.

This would solve a couple of problems, mostly no more boring Byzantium, no more bad Rome UHV, Constantinople guaranteed to be the center of the West (which the Romans would morph into after a few hundred years), and a more realistic portrayal of the shift from West to East. The Roman core could move from Italy to Anatolia during the shift period.

Alternatively, Byzantium could be a Greek rebirth.

I just really dislike Byzantium as its own Civ. You could fill its slot with so much cooler stuff! Khazars, Philippines, Huns... I mean at least give us a Byzantine rebirth as Yugoslavia or something.

Nope. Give us them Jews. Their own religion but no civ? Heck, give us them two times. One ancient, one modern. But those others? No. Also, not sure this kind of stuff merits its own thread.

Glorious Ragusa.

If we're continuing this thread, then:

New Civ: Principality of Sealand
Spawn Date: 1967
UU: Harwich Lifeboat (replacement for Destroyer, 2 strength)
UB: Sea Fort (cities buildable on Ocean tiles)

UHV:
1. Build 5 Sea Forts by 1980
2. Conquer East Anglia (to represent Suffolk) and Germany (to represent the Sealandic Rebel Government) by 2000
3. Have 3000 culture average per city by 2000 (to represent the Sealandic constitution, stamps, coins, etc.)

I really feel historical balance is lacking in this mod unless this civilization is added

Considering that civ slots are so limited, wouldn't it make sense to just have Rome and Byzantium be the same civ? In this situation, technically Rome world never collapse, it would just transition its capital to Constantinople and take over the area of Byzantium. Then, you could still have Italy as the respawn civ later on.

No, there's only one civ that is truely sorely lacking from DoC: Venice.

:goodjob:

Me from 3 years ago called, he wants his pipe dream back.

Considering that civ slots are so limited, wouldn't it make sense to just have Rome and Byzantium be the same civ? In this situation, technically Rome world never collapse, it would just transition its capital to Constantinople and take over the area of Byzantium. Then, you could still have Italy as the respawn civ later on.
That would remove the Byzantine UU, UB, UHV, UP etc. Also you cannot have a WRE and ERE situation. All three civs you mention are separate slots at the moment, by the way.

In the future it will be easy for civs to only occupy a slot when they are alive. That will free up enough slots to comfortably optimise the game or add new civs, depending on settings.

Me from 3 years ago called, he wants his pipe dream back.
Make a modmod :D

In the future it will be easy for civs to only occupy a slot when they are alive. That will free up enough slots to comfortably optimise the game or add new civs, depending on settings.

Can't wait for that to happen. :D;)

I think it's not too much to reveal that it's the goal for 1.16.

Legitimate requests I have:

Israel
Baby respawn as Iraq
Australia
Philippines
Zulu + South Africa respawn
Some Great Plains and Great Lakes natives

Make a modmod :D

I did, it sucked. Though maybe I should take a look at those alternate history scenarios again and try to implement them. 500 AD was hella cool.

Legitimate requests I have:

Israel
Baby respawn as Iraq
Australia
Philippines
Zulu + South Africa respawn
Some Great Plains and Great Lakes natives

That doesn't seem fair to the baby! ;)
I'd add Central Asian civ to this list (but there's already been TONS of discussion about that...)

Oh you're right I forgot about those

General Turkic civilization (Khazars)

Also, Zimbabwe or some other East African maritime Civ.

Top Bottom