1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C Political Compass Continued Expanded GOTY Prepare To Die Edition

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by janboruta, May 10, 2016.

1. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

PDMA - Public Discussion of Moderator Actions is expressly forbidden. Let's not do that this time.

I will not take the mantle of uploading/restarting the Political Compass myself, as that priviledge falls only on SnowyNix's arms. I do hope he will be able to restart the thread when he's un-banned, and all will be back to normal - with 100% less "problematic" phrasings.

What I can recommend is to not discuss previously deleted topics. This thread is dedicated to the freedom of speech and the esprit-de-corps of the Civ 5 modding community. A recommended course of action would be to privately message CFC moderators in hopes of clarifying the matter.

Whatever good that happened in the course of this issue, is that it displayed how cohesive and bonded together the Civ 5 modding community really is, despite our differences. Let it stand as a testament to our collective power and optimism, against the forces that be.

Also, and probably as a main topic instead, this should be a starting point on discussion of however the C&C subforum could be redesigned, in order to accommodate the potentially "off-topic" threads. (whichever threads are considered "off-topic" - since threads with a defined topic - let's say politics - cannot go "off-topic" if all the posts within them are about - let's say - politics). As it was mentioned in the recent "reaction" thread, the Civ 5 modding community almost never ventures outside of the Civ 5 C&C subforum. Therefore I think creating a subforum dedicated to loose talk would be a good idea, allowing us to vent off after days or weeks of hard modding work, without clogging up the main subforum's thread list.

Either that, or allow "off-topic" (whatever the meaning of the phrase is) threads to persist in the main subforum's thread list, and only moderate it when it really devolves into a 4ch lookalike, and we know how vile it would have to be.

With regards,
    Jan (Boruta) esq.

[citation needed]
    1) Continued Expanded : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543208 | https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438187330
    2) GOTY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards
    3) Prepare to Die Edition: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420

2. Hypereon

Hypereon He was a Consul of Rome!

Geezus Jan, plain awesome!

3. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

Amen! This is an excellent community and I am extremely glad that I became a part of it. You guys are the coolest strangers I've met and I hope to continue having such interesting and entertaining discussions with all of you!

4. Danmacsch

Danmacsch Geheimekabinetsminister

5. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Ditto to what Uighur said, despite not really contributing much (or anything at all :p) to this community, I certainly feel that it's damn great to be a part of!

6. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

Even though I haven't been heavily involved in the community I will say bravo just for the hell of it.

7. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

A forum I went to solved it by having a No Topic Thread in it. Really fun thing. Wasn't monitored at all, anything goes. Had plenty of interesting discussions in there

8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

This would be a really good solution. Everyone needs to vent off at some point. Being only one thread, it would not encroach on solely mod-related threads on this subforum, while it would perfectly serve to provide some diversion to our modding microcosm and improve our relations even more.

[you have 1 Diplomat(s) available]

9. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Perhaps you should consider starting a Social Group where you can discuss the issues of your choice. They are still subject to forum rules for language, trolling and flaming, however, you may discuss the topics of your choice. You can make them invite only, so you can invite those you wish to have join.

10. lordrj15

lordrj15 Manx Modder

Kudos to Jan for his organised proposal! The social group idea may be a useful one, though we may want a more general thread where other/new modders who are not part of the "social group" can chime in.

Though, would I be correct in assuming a social group is less inclusive in that respect? Would we need to personally invite all the modders?

11. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

I am in support of an off-topic subforum for C&C only. I am not in support of a political discussion, nor of it being a "no-moderation" zone.

12. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

They can ask to join and the group creator gives them permission to join.

The group can also be set up to be open, but you may run into the same issues that you experienced in OT.

13. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Aye, it seems like an issue would be that the conversation, and the community in general becomes difficult for new members to join if it is invite only.

14. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

Yeah the exclusivity would be the worst part. I personally believe an off-topic subforum in the C&C subforum would be the best option since it would be open and allow for a multitude of off-topic threads to be active at once.

15. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

Honestly, I think a C&C Meta style forum could be pretty sweet. Not that it's my decision.

16. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

What went wrong with the OT thread from C&C denizens? I looked through it and it seemed fairly normal by OT standards, and something like the Political Compass thread would be fine there so long as the parts about 'awards' were omitted.

17. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

It's in a completly different part of the forum so we forget it's even there.

That and the fact that the OT regulars tried their darnest to turn it into their thread anyways. But I think C&C really could use a subforum for off-topic bussiness, all too often someone just wants to comment on his modded game, but just ends up with his topic moved here where it promptly dies abruptly. There's simply no space to talk about Civ5 games if they are modified, that's without a doubt an issue.

18. COF

COF Emperor

I agree, this part of the forum seems far more active than any other, so I think if any part deserves it it is us, especially since this community seems to be bigger than the other ones on the site. Although, rather than a meta forum I would prefer an Off-topic sub forum

19. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

Off Topic regulars were kind of instrusive. Trying not to sound dumb here, but i think we'd like our off-topic thread to also be on-topic. So basically C&C people only.
    I don't see why all the mods are offering alternatives to our own off-topic thread here on C&C, is there an issue with that? just outright tell us we can't have an off-topic section rather then give us other options. THEN we can work from there.

Also was that really the problem? the 'awards' that no one complained about publicly. the awards that could of been edited out in a moment. that was why Nix was banned and a thread shut down?

20. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

At least, that is dedicated toward C&C people - exclusivity is a bit heavy-handed. The point being, the OT forum has its own regulars (from what I could tell on the C&C OT thread) that undermines the familiarity that we have amongst ourselves here, and that's why - at least for me - the OT thread is insufficient to discuss off-topic topics in comfort.