1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Galactic Era

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Hydromancerx, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Though i should re-post the stuff that Civ Fuehrer and I brainstormed back for The Ascent of Mankind since its going to be used for C2C's Galactic Era. Note that some things need to be changed since he is no longer around and C2C is different than AND.

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Part 1

3. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Part 2

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Part 3

5. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Part 5

6. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Part 6

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

One problem with the Galactic Era is the space ship victory. Since we assume spaceships much more advanced that this will be in the game and we will colonize planets like Alpha Centauri. So I am thinking of changing them to a time machine or interdimensional ship. Here are some ideas for what techs should enable what parts. course the pats would need new names.

- SS Casting = Megastrong Alloys
    - SS Cockpit = Galactic Federation
    - SS Docking Bay = Attometer Engineering
    - SS Life Support = Advanced Seedships
    - SS Stasis Chamber = Cryogenics? (maybe something completely different so no slumbering)
    - SS Engines = Endogenous Euclidean Propulsion
    - SS Thrusters = Endogenous Euclidean Propulsion

8. Schwarzbart

Schwarzbart Prince

How about a Maschine that help the Humans to become a Higher Liver Form of pure thought?

But how do you whant to display or even Manage the new Colonies?
    I doubt that I will ever reach past Indusrial age in any of the slow games with this mod so I probably won't see this era at all.

9. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Originally Civ Fuehrer proposed a new menu which kept track of all this info. He called it the "Spacepedia" and it listed all the planets and colonies and stuff. However with him inactive we will probably have to abandoned that method and use buildings or projects or something.

I was hoping by posting this thread people like Koshling might be able to help with advanced stuff like that. In short I will put in all the stuff I am capable of doing and hopefully along the way the other more advanced stuff can be added by someone who knows menu stuff.

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

How is an off-world colony intended to show up in map terms? Is it just a conceptual thing (so only shows up as statistics in one or more screens) or does it actually have map associated with it somehow?

11. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Civ Fuehrer did start on the menu for civ4. I cannot get th files to work but here they are. Also he seemed to get a working menu for Civ 5 based on the Civ 4 ones. So here are some screenshots he took of them.

Note that this was the incomplete version of AToM so there are things in it alike the techs and splash screen. See if you can recover any of the stuff he did for the new menu. Note it was made more for Rise of Mankind so things may need to be changed.

EDIT: Apparently the mod is too big to post. I will try to post the specific files for it soon.

12. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Not really my expertese Hydro. Screen layouts and logic are all Python stuff.

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Ok here are the files minus a whole bunch of large graphics files. I know its not your area but perhaps you could take a look anyways.

If not that's ok too. Mabye someday Civ Fuehrer will return to help out again.

14. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I highly recommend looking at the Genetic Era for Warlords and the Planetfall Mods, for loads of well developed ideas and units for the Galactic Era!

15. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Sorry for sounding dumb, but what is "Genetic Era for Warlords"? Do you have a link?

16. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Here are some ideas I had the other day.

As you can see from the picture the end game units would work up to the 4D Infantry.

So Disintegration Tech -> Anti-Matter Tech -> 4D Tech.

We would need stuff between the current limit and the disintegration tech. Also perhaps time phasing tech between anti-matter and 4D tech.

It would be nice for all of them to eventually merge into very few units. Sort of like how the many archery and melee units merge into gunpowder units.

I also need to find new unit graphics to fit all these things.

In addition there are some no so future units we should put in like a modern ambulance before the medevac transport. I also like the idea of a space freighter as the last type of merchant unit.

Also we already have so many mech and robot units, we should fit them in somehow.

Please give feedback there is lots we can do for these late game units.

17. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Having Space Marine as a singular, superior upgrade seems a bit odd: a marine is a specific form of military unit used for a specific purpose. Generally, a marine would be more adept in certain forms of combat than regular infantry (much like special forces), but they would never make up the mainstay of a realistic military force, be it one which wars with muskets, rifles or lasers. A Space Marine would thus tend to suggest either a detachment of infantry aboard a large spaceship used for initiating and combating boarding actions or an elite force of shock troops used for rapid and decisive assaults from the air against key strategic targets on enemy worlds (think the Stormtroopers from Star Wars). Or, most likely, a combination of both.

Thus, instead of Modern Marines upgrading to Dropships (which are air units incapable of capturing cities), I would suggest they upgrade to Space Marines. Dropships would be the vehicles which carried them, not the occupying force themselves. It would also be excellent if boarding actions (perhaps a greatly increased chance of capturing an enemy unit that can be countered by other ships themselves possessing marine detachments) could be simulated in Civ's combat model. And, of course, they should start with City Raider IV.

The same issue applies to police units, who wouldn't even be part of the military in most societies (incidentally, how about making Police an upgrade from City Guard? Maybe even adding an Early Police unit to represent things like the Victorian Bobbies which can serve as a garrison unit in the Industrial age). Also, what is 4D Infantry? Surely fighting in an alternate dimension is simply a different form of terrain, much like the Snowtroopers in Star Wars. If it's meant to be something akin to the Chrono Commando from Command and Conquer, I think that would make a clearer name (though obviously, Time Travel would have to be a prerequisite).

I'm also not entirely clear on what a "Ghost" is meant to be. The name seems to vaguely suggest a stealth commando unit akin to the Mutants in Command and Conquer, but for all I know it could be an urban combat force modeled after those creepy albino twins from the second Matrix movie. I suspect that in either case, Special Infantry would be better off upgrading to them.

18. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Genetic Era for Warlords - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=184182

It looks like a old ,well developed mod that had incorporated future era ideas like sea colonies and had done it well. The old thread had hundreds of replies stopped being actively developed when BTS came out.

It was recently restarted.

19. cha dawn

cha dawn Warlord

can you make the transhuman area visible. It can be done within the file gameoptions.(set no future area to 1)
    Some interesting units are availeble within this area.
    peace maker and plague weapons and other things.

20. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Here is a list of mods that can be used for transhuman era/ apocalyptic era/ galactic era ideas.

Genetic Era for Warlords - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=184182

Planetfall mod - basically an awesome port of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=252829

Conflict on Chiron - a newly developing fork of planetfall - since planetfall's development slowed down.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426026
    Which adds the alien factions from sid meier's alpha centauri crossfire expansion and other goodies.

Star Trek Mod - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233074
    The Federation could be a new galactic civics - idea of future collectivism. There are lots of technologies to mine, from the mod and all the series also. Technologies I loved, transporters, warp drives, wormholes, temporal technologies, sub space, warp field shields, spatial distortions, the borg, androids, to name just a few.

Star Wars mod - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=157016
    The idea of a galactic empire. whether old republic nice, or facist Empire could be introduced as a civic or Era unlocked new spawing countries. Lot's of new technology ideas here too! Lightsabers, sub light drives, holograms, landspeeders

Final Frontier Plus? - improvement of the Final Frontier official civ iv scenario. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351012
    new resources, technologies, events for the future eras? Pirate factions?

MOO2 Civ - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=267295
    Mod based on technologies and aliens from Master of Orion 2. It would be interesting to take aliens and technologies from there. Loved the races and the incremental technologies from moo1 and moo2. Tech tree from the original games has an immense lot

Babylon 5 Mod project- http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261551
    This project looks like it has some good ideas, jump gates, hyperspace, they have invested an extrordinary amount of time on ship graphics. Love the Minbari race

Not to forget the
    Dune Wars mod - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335213
    Ships from the Dune books series look like the flying craft in the Disney John Carter (of Mars) movie.

and

Mars Now! - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=312246
    both have units and technologies that have been developed

NecroCristi Mod- Apocalyptic mod.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237238
    might be interesting to have a fall of civilization/ apocalyptic era,
    may have been caused by a virus, like Stephen King's the Stand or Amc' tv series The Walking Dead based on popular series of Graphic Novels.. Or more Mad Max like, like the breakdown of civilization through a scenario like peak oil, or even after nuclear war. Could be a masssive check for a civilization after things get stagnant. Disaster events could be triggered like volcanos, earthquakes, floods, The Great Earthquake that could destroy California or the landslide that could happen in the Azores/Atlantic Ocean, could be interesting challenges to gameplay. One of the biggest things that made Sim City fun was watching your city adjust after disasters struck. Rebuilding civilization not a bad idea for an Era.
    Just an idea.