1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2c- Guilds and Corporations Discussion and Ideas

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Azurian, May 4, 2012.

1. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

This thread is to discuss suggestions for new Corporations and Guild, and suggestions on how to improve the,. With the arrival of many new resources in C2C its possible to create new Corporations and Guilds and add more diversity to the game.

How Corporations Work in Civ 4 BTS
    Spoiler :

Current Corporations
    Adventure Tours
    Aluminum Co.
    Big McDowells
    Bullseye [Grocer]
    Burgerworld
    Cereal Mills
    Civilized Jewelers Inc.
    Creative Constructions
    East West Traders
    Emperors Clothing
    Fashion House
    Mallwart
    Mapster
    Milehigh Travels
    Mobby Meats
    Moonbean Cofee
    Red Curtains
    Safari Hunters
    Sid Sushi Co.
    Standard Ethanol
    Ultimate Soilders
    Wonka Confectionaries

Current Guilds
    Apothecaries Guild
    Artists Guild
    Bakers Guild
    Blacksmiths Guild
    Butchers Guild
    Carpenters Guild
    Clerks Guild
    Drapers Guild
    Equestrians Guild
    Fishmongers Guild
    Glassblowers Guild
    Goldsmiths Guild
    Grocers Guild
    Masons Guild
    Mercers Guild

1. Corporations and Guilds consume resources.
    2.Corporations and Guilds require A TECH for them to appear
    3.Most Guilds have a TECH that makes them obsolete and require a Specific Guild Hall
    Guild halls
    Crafts
    Servant
    Victualler [Food]

List of Resources in C2C - May 4. 2012 (Big Pic)
    Spoiler :

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

My wife and I have discussed the Corporation structure quite a bit and I do plan to make some serious suggestions here at some point when I decide to really focus in on some brainstorming for it. But I think we might be wanting to rework the Guild system soon so perhaps we should put guild ideas on hold for a bit? My beef with them is that they can compete at all with corporations later in the game, thus I rarely ever initiate one as it just takes too much to go through and make sure I won't be conflicting with my eventual plans with corps.

A few things I think we should consider is creating corporations that give unique resource access, corporations that take existing resources and further refine those resources into new resources, and then corporations that can build on those new synthetic resources as well. We also need more options similar to the ones we already have so as to allow for more nations to capitalize on the awesome benefits corporations provide as they catch up to the corporate era.

Perhaps the best way to go about brainstorming new ideas here would be to go through lists of real world corporations and create alternative reflections of them.

Also... just a generic thought... but I'd like to see the mechanism of corporations tweaked a little. Corporations that compete do not push out their competitors absolutely but capture market %s from each other. It'd be nice to see a bit more of that sort of dynamic rather than the black and white competition we have in play from base BtS.

But how can we make that work? Lets say that we get corporations to 'split' the available resources they compete over. Then what game metrics could be used to make one corporation more or less successful than another? Extent of spread? Is there a way we could establish a power rating for a corporation that represents how well the corporation provides its needs and pit those power ratings against competing corporations to determine how the % split of shared resources would be divied up between competitors?

Such a mechanism could be manipulated with unit activities to introduce the concept of Corporate warfare that is so everpresent in genres such as Cyberpunk as well. And it could give the player the ability to promote one competing corporation over another as well.

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Hydro has started a discussion on Guilds elsewhere. I agree we need to do something about Guilds and probably first. They are an interesting idea but I don't play with them on because I find they do not improve game play or fun.

I would also prefer not to have corporations on. Zappara did a lot in RoM to make them work and add fun but I always found myself founding the same three Sid's Sushi, Aero Metals (or whatever) and Civ Jewellers as these three gave a good return on investment in food, research and money respectively. I do not play with the options Advance Economy nor Modern Corporations on.

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@MrAzure

See this topic.

All I have to say is I will eventually get to redoing them. But other more important stuff comes first.

5. anunknownman

anunknownman Warlord

say has anyone played the game with realistic corprations???? does it affecs guilds and is it any good????

6. hotrodlincoln

hotrodlincoln Upasaka

It does affect guilds. Speaking for me personally, I am not a fan of that game option. Corporations will be founded in a city one turn, then leave literally the very next turn before you can do anything to encourage them. You can run every single civic that grants corporations subsidies, have all the technologies and resources needed to found every single corporation and still not end up with corporations. Or they do show up, then immediately leave despite you having done everything you can do to make them stay. I think that game option needs some more work to be made into a viable game option. On paper it sounds like such a nice game option, too.

7. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

ahahahaha, reminds me of a cartoon "Which Way Did He Go, Which Way Did He Go?
    Another words, the above statement is a contradiction of a contradiction. Meaning YES it needs alot of HELP in this area as far as gameplay. "I'm Just Sayin.":p

8. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

bump since it is being discussed so much.

9. CiverDan

CiverDan Warlord

Only two guilds I have an issue with is the one that gives the Servants Quarters and the Blacksmiths Guild. On a Gigantic Map you need 7 Servants Quarters in order to build it, but I can only build 3 (if I build the FP and Versailles). Of course I could move my Palace 4 times.... Either get rid of the guild or remove the Palace restriction on the building. The Blacksmiths Guild seems like it goes obsolete too soon. Would rather not lose my Forge before I can use the forge hammer bonus to help build my Foundry.

10. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@CiverDan

Servants Guild its has those as a placeholder until I could think up a better building.

The second was to avoid people complaining that they could not build the guild because the forges got replaced by foundaries.

11. strategyonly

This is the only thread i could find about guilds, so here goes:

How about the following guilds:

Architect's Guild - hire a new architect (help build up our infrastructure)
    Artisan's Guild - hire a new artisan (improve our nation's beauty and culture)
    Luxury Craftsman's Guild - hire a new explorer (seek out and secure resources for the glory of our realm)
    Woodworker's Guild - constructed a new trebuchet (siege equipment will prove very useful)
    Smith's Guild - hire a new worker (more hands to help improve our nation's infrastructure)
    Merchant's Guild - hire a new caravan (bolster up our trade and commerce)
    Theologian's Guild - training a new Inquisitor

All of this will be done through EVENTs only, except a very very small python code:

Spoiler :
    Code:
    ######## Guild Civilian Hire ########

def canTriggerGuildHire(argsList):
    	kTriggeredData = argsList[0]
    	turn = kTriggeredData.iTurn

if (turn % 5 == 0):
    		return true
    	return false

It will needs units for the first 2 is all since we already have a caravan.
    These of course will be civilian units and no fighting str.
    Will be triggered every 5 turns?

Somewhere in the area of this:
    <ObsoleteTech>TECH_CORPORATION</ObsoleteTech>
    <PrereqTech>TECH_CURRENCY</PrereqTech>

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The events will be considered each 5 turns but they will be up against all the other events that turn as well.

I have been looking at having buildings produce a unit every x turns after they have been built. It is only slightly more complex code. I was going to have Holy Shrines build a missionary every 10 turns (game speed adjusted) after they have been built.

I was also considering having a bonus caravan type for ingots. Which reminds me, I think Hydro may have the buildings not quite right, it just seemed odd in my last game but I was going to play another to see. I think it should be:-

Mine provides copper ore
    Copper Mine building provides copper requires copper ore in vicinity.
    Copper Smelter building provides copper ingots requires Copper Mine.
    National Copper Smelter building provides copper ingots requires copper ore anywhere and roads(?)
    Copper Smith provides copper wares requires copper ingots and roads

The reason for the copper resource is for the National Copper Smelter for those times when the copper you have is not in the vicinity of any cities.​

The copper smelter buildings could then provide a caravan of copper ingots every now and then.

The question is do we want them as part of the event system or do we want them every x turns? We do have AI for this sort of caravan and the AI players should know how to use them. Or we did in RoM:AND:mischief:

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@strategyonly

Here are all the guilds so far ...

- Apothecary Guild
    - Artists Guild
    - Bakers Guild
    - Blacksmith Guild
    - Butcher Guild
    - Carpenter Guild
    - Clerks Guild
    - Crafts Guild
    - Drapers Guild
    - Equestrian Guild
    - Fishmonger Guild
    - Glassblowers Guild
    - Goldsmith Guild
    - Grocers Guild
    - Mason Guild
    - Mercers Guild
    - Potters Guild
    - Servants Guild
    - Tailors Guild
    - Victuallers Guild
    - Woodcutter Guild

The stuff at the top of the thread is out of date.

What form is "Copper"? It obviously not in ore or ingot form. So what is it? I don't think you need this step.

You would not need it. You could have a National Copper Smelter that required Copper Ore. And the produce Copper Ingots.

14. GT Ranma

GT Ranma Slowest of the Slow

I really wish these buildings did not make so much +fire, with how many new +fire buildings there are, I've never made any of these as the are just much too dangerous to be worth it. And in very slow game speeds, it makes it even more painful when something burns down. So I almost feel like it is an aspect of the game that is completely ignorable, rather then what I would like it to be. A strategic choice of what city builds what, because they need too.

Same with corporations, if the game last long enough to get to them, I pretty much completely ignore them...

So I'm glad to hear that you guys want to make it more dynamic too ^^

15. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I noticed the GUILDS options is no longer present. So they are now compulsory? I don't like guilds and never usually play with them, how come this was changed?

16. strategyonly

So in OTHER terms, your saying, do these ALSO with events? Or what exactly are you trying to imply?

17. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

About corporation, look like they dont use all the new ressource
    Cereals Mills dont use Barley, WallMart use some random fruit instead of Fruit and Legume Ressource, Fashion House use Cow instead of Leather...
    The bigest problem is Safaru Hunter, using 2 obsolete ressource (Whale and Fur) and not Mammouth or Kangooroo

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Guilds are not like corporations in any way. They are now just a national wonder that provides a free building in every city at a large increase to the maintenance in the city you build it in. IMO most are useless.

1) post a full list on the bugs thread to get it fixed

2) neither Fur or Whale obsolete in C2C.

19. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

How does realistic corporations work? They don't seem to be founding any in the cities.

20. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

For me, it s not a bug. It's just the fact there are lot of new ressource, but Corporation dont change.
    I can make a list of suggestions for Corporation/Ressource, but that's all

[/quote]
    In plastic, there are a "Obsolete Furs". But it's true, the name of ressource is "Fur" without the s... It's not the same thing?