C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

Why can't a religion do all of those simultaneously? Medieval Catholicism pretty much did.
- monks tending orchards/vineyards (and making booze of course)
- the Crusades
- taxes/legal discrimination and mini-crusades against 'heretics' and Jews etc.
- cathedrals, missae/religious music and other works of art
- the monasteries functioning as unis/libraries and producing illuminated manuscripts etc.

I suspect Shinto, Islam, Tengriism, Hinduism and others may have done likewise but I know relatively little about them...

They already do! Since your suggestion would make the same changes to all religions that is the same as making no change. Or I a miss reading what you wrote. I am not getting enough sleep these days so it is possible.
Any headway on the NEW way (at least i think) you are going to change these??

Progress is very slow. I am still figuring out the basics of the starting implementation. In fact my ideas may not be possible.:sad:

They already do! Since your suggestion would make the same changes to all religions that is the same as making no change. Or I a miss reading what you wrote. I am not getting enough sleep these days so it is possible.

Yes that's what I'm saying (I was talking about in 'real life'). Since some religions some of the time manage to do all five of those irl, and the game reflects that, why do you want to change it? It should be possible - albeit difficult - for one (game) religion to do all five of those simultaneously. Forcing religions to be one-dimensional is not only unrealistic, it also sounds pretty dull in comparison...

It's the self-contradictions that make religions fun after all...:D

I hope I'm mistaken, but I think I just read that Religious Victory requires you to have only one religion (in your cities). Normally a victory type is for people whose playstyles emphasise that area of the game. But you lose nearly all the benefits of religion (which are huge of course) if you only have one.

As far as I know that is not the case. I had to turn that type of victory off early on because it was happening when Druid/Shamanism were being founded as there were very few cities in the world.

As everyone knows, most of the leaders have one favorite religion, and when a new religion is found every leader that has it as its favorite gets that religion spread in his capital.
Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Why Hiram of Phoenicia doesn't have Canaanism as a favorite religion?
Also, why no African civilization has Ngaism as a favorite?
These are only two religions (except Scientology) that are not favorite religions of any leader.

Any chance of getting future-era religions? It's good that C2C's got new religions being founded well into the modern era, but why not go a bit further with this? Some suggestions for possible future religions:

Oprahism:
A formalised religion based on the wisdom teachings of Oprah Winfrey. Emphasises personal development, self-help and feeling good about oneself. Temples of Oprahism could be called "Book Clubs". Cathedrals might be called "Sacred Studios", and would be places where Oprah devotees ceremonially re-enact the most important episodes of Oprah. (Idea comes from Futurama).

Church of the Singularity:
Supposedly founded by its first and most revered prophet Ray Kurzweil (but actually founded decades after his death), this religion worships science and technology above all else. The ultimate aim of Singularitarianism is to upload every person's mind into a supreme Artificial Intelligence ("the God whom we shall create") so that all may live forever. Those who disagree with this aim are "Luddites" (heathens) who must be "modded" (converted) or else "deleted" (killed).

Pastafarianism:
Based around the worship of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Outsiders often have trouble determining whether Pastafarians actually take their religion's teachings and ceremonies seriously, or if they're just going to elaborate lengths to take the piss. As far as the Pastafarians themselves are concerned it doesn't really matter, because their aim is not so much to convert as to irritate and lampoon people of other faiths. Pastafarianism is the first major religion in human history to explicitly exalt irony and satire as the most important of human virtues.

Teachings of Surak:
A formalised religion/philosophy emphasising logic and complete eradication of emotions, just like the philosophy of its Vulcan namesake in Star Trek.

Jedi:
Descended from the modern fledgling religion of Jedi, with a formalised church and ceremonies. Jedis believe in The Force, which their detractors say is yet another form of Vitalism. Jedis regard George Lucas as a great sage, and their reverence of him is comparable to Taoists' reverence of Lao Tzu. The Jedi faith has two principle factions: the Light Side and the Dark Side. Jedi are required to memorise Star Wars Episodes 4-6 word-for-word in order to prove their faith and devotion, however there is fierce long-running internal debate about whether Episodes 1-3 should similarly be memorised.

Children of Gaia:
A faith based on James Lovelock's Gaia theory, a widespread sense that humanity needs to placate Mother Earth after angering her with centuries of environmental abuse, and a belief that "The Old Ways" (e.g. Capitalism, Christianity, Islam, and others) have led to global ecological catastrophe. Very meditation-oriented, the idea is to be at One with Gaia so that one's actions may be in harmony with the Web of Life. Sins against nature (e.g. not recycling, chopping down a tree) are considered far worse than sins against fellow human beings.

If we're going to go with some of those we might as well include the Church of the SubGenius (which oddly makes more sense than most religions if you read its texts very closely.)

There has been some discussion on this but one problem is lack of art another is getting the time to add them.

If you want to put some effort into coming up with some detail then I would be willing to spend some time on building them with you.

Why can't a religion do all of those simultaneously? Medieval Catholicism pretty much did.
- monks tending orchards/vineyards (and making booze of course)
- the Crusades
- taxes/legal discrimination and mini-crusades against 'heretics' and Jews etc.
- cathedrals, missae/religious music and other works of art
- the monasteries functioning as unis/libraries and producing illuminated manuscripts etc.
Does DH's modmod exclude the possibility of doing all of them by restricting you to only 1 aspect?

I think it's a good idea to give G-Prophets a new usage and to force the player to evolve his/her religion through the usage of G-Prophets, currently they are only used for the few Religious-wonders and to join city/invent tech.

Edit: @DH: Then it isn't that much of an evolving religion modmod as a specialized religion modmod....

Top Bottom