1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

So! Most religions started out in only a small area. Most took many years to start to spread beyond the state. eg Christianity and the Roman Empire.

2. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Dunno but Oprah dont saying that she is Prohpet or something and her fans dont prey to her. IMO her impact to the world outside America is almost null. There is tons more charismatic mans and womans live now in the world to be prophets of new religion.

I like Mr Azure ideas about new religions in the future. They are sooo futuristic :)

3. 0100010

0100010 Prince

There is a phrase for the hierarchy of fame.

"Sure he's famous, but he's not Benjamin Franklin Famous"

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

My point exactly, thx.:)

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

My comment about the Church of the SubGenius was meant to convey an opinion that we should NOT be attempting to include religions that would be ludicrous to believe. I can certainly appreciate the Church of the SubGenius or the Flying Spaghetti Monster but they are NOT serious religions - far more closely related to Atheism in that all they are is a thinly veiled attempt to cast cynicism over the entire subject of religion itself. This does not mean anyone who 'follows' these 'churches' actually believes a word of it.

This thinking applies to Oprahism in much the same way. Anyone who seriously wants to deify Oprah really most certainly needs a therapist more than a God. I'd say it's completely ridiculous to give such a concept any credibility but there ARE religions with just as little believability that have become quite powerful and real social factors on a global or at least national scale. I'd say Oprah herself would balk at the concept but so did the Buddha who told us not to worship anyone or anything and the first thing his followers did was worship him when he passed. Still... really? Could anyone imaginably take such a faith seriously? Particularly when she's such an outspoken Christian? (Wait... wasn't Christ himself an outspoken Jew?) lol...

I'd rather we kept our futuristic religions focused on very real possible emergent theories and envisionable sci-fi. I agree that Mr Azure had some very good suggestions. But I did like a few of the ones recently proposed - those that fell among the range of these design values.

6. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

The unaffiliated are gaining the upper hand, and I'm lovin' it!

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

How would you differentiate 'unaffiliated' from agnostic? I've also long been proposing for Agnostic to be an official religion.

8. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

The "nothing in particular"'s tend to have spiritual beliefs and a belief in a god. The religiously unaffiliated include atheists, agnostics and people who do not identify with any particular religion in surveys.

Agnostics are really atheists. ; )

9. strategyonly

Here is where he got it from:

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/ From what i read, one is a "looker" and the other is "not."

10. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Many people apparently identify as 'Jedi' on surveys etc., but I don't think it has much to offer the mod. It's just not new/different enough, nor is it sufficiently well defined.

I don't think agnostic would make a good religion either. It's good for a laugh (eg. in Hyperdrive), but agnostic means so many different things that it's just not coherent enough.

I do think that Atheism would make a good new religion. It is very different, and those who identify as atheists tend to all have a very similar set of doctrines...:mischief:

I've been reading a lot of Star Trek storylines recently. I think the Klingon and Ferengi 'spiritualities' have a lot to offer. Klingon brings an Asatru/Tengri/Zulu tribal warrior culture 'up to date', which I find fascinating. And Ferengi (similar to LaVey's Church of Satan which has been raised before) is unique in that it is a religion of pragmatism, greed/acquisitiveness and - above all - selfishness.

11. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Ofcourse classical Ferengi, before Grand Nagus Zek reforms, yes?

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

She can indeed be called a modern prophet (teacher) for a very old idea. One of the SMAC religions matches what she preaches.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

+1 no
    +1 No
    And +1 NO!

JosEPh

14. Raven Destroyer

Raven Destroyer Prince

I Won't mind having a Satanical Cult as my State Religion :D just for the Heck of it :)

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You mean Oprahism....... :rolleyes: :p

JosEPh

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Okay with SVN 7138 post v34 on Monarch current game I am getting beat out to every religion till Buddhism. And I got it because I saw I could get it in 4 turns and No AI had claimed it yet. Which is actually rather good that the player can't hog religions sort of. Now the AI is hogging the religions, not so good.

Now for the problem, after getting it I'm not getting any missionaries. I'm getting temples but no monasteries. My 1st temples are coming on line but still no missionaries, no Monasteries. New options to build temples are showing up in other cities now too besides the founding city. Is there a new spread mechanism?

So when was this changed? How many temples will I need to get a Monastery? Are monasteries as we knew them still in the game?

This is all very strange and just does not seem right. Is this intentional for a new way of spreading religions? The one DH has talked about? Sevo iirc?

If missionaries and monasteries are now gone what's the point of founding a religion?

This raises many many ????s.

JosEPh :confused::(

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There has been no change in the religions in a long time. You should be able to build monasteries once you have the correct tech. Unless they need some special resource - Shinto monasteries needs prime timber. That has been the case for a long time also ever since Praetyre's changes around version 17 or so.

18. strategyonly

I think he's talking about what i have seen lately, you are supposed to get them but dont for a short while for some reason, but then they show up like normal, later??

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Well I don't know what to tell you but after 5 turns of Founding Buddhism I'm building 4-5 temples, that spread from the Founding city to surrounding cities by it self. I have No missionaries and No monasteries in the build que.

I also do not have Hide Obsolete bldgs or units checked off in BUG either. I only check off Untrainable and Unbuildable. Is BUG messed up now too???

JosEPh

EDIT: Mr Azure broke Furniture Building away from it's Original tech and made it a single building tech. You Must have Furniture Tech and Furniture Bldg Before you can build a Monastery. Mr Azure's fiddling with the Tech tree should've been supervised better. Because Furniture tech is a 1 Trick pony that should've never been allowed to be placed in the tech tree.

20. strategyonly

The Temple of A Bon ??? for Voodoo movie is solid PINK?? can we at least have a blank in there, PINK really hurts the eyes, thx.