C2C Status Promotions

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
From the most recent commit:
TB said:
Adds Status Promotions for voluntarily negating invisibility on the unit, a set for the core, Hide and Seek, and one for both H&S and Size Matters. (Status (Stand Out) and Status (Removes Stand Out))

Status promos may be selected whenever a unit qualifies for it but to select a status promotion is to end the unit's turn. A unit that has moved may not select a status promo. It is thus a full turn taking action to change status.

Statuses may be grouped within a promotionline and if one is selected along a promotionline while another from within the promotionline is already applied to a unit, it replaces the other in the same promotionline category.

There are many more status promotion concepts that have been floated on the forums throughout the years, mothballing naval units, formation promos etc... so there's a lot more potential here than the one status promotionline I've established with this commit.

Therefore, I figured I'd open up the brainstorm as to other ways to use this feature so as to collect a number of status promo concepts.

One thing of note, I created a Diamond shaped promotion background and alpha channel to denote status promos.

So? Any questions, comments, concerns, concepts to discuss?

There were two status promotions that I suggested to do with movement which should not end the units movement and perhaps should be available if the unit has any movement left. These are
  • Quick March - doubles the (remaining) movement but makes the unit have 50% or less defense/combat strength and surprise attacks on the unit do more damage. Negates any invisibility the unit has.

Designed to get across friendly territory quickly but can be used anywhere with caution.

• Forced March can only be used to get the unit to an existing fortified position or other stack of the same nation. Effect ?

These promotions could be used for units no matter what combat mod is in play or none.

There were two status promotions that I suggested to do with movement which should not end the units movement and perhaps should be available if the unit has any movement left. These are
  • Quick March - doubles the (remaining) movement but makes the unit have 50% or less defense/combat strength and surprise attacks on the unit do more damage. Negates any invisibility the unit has.

Designed to get across friendly territory quickly but can be used anywhere with caution.

• Forced March can only be used to get the unit to an existing fortified position or other stack of the same nation. Effect ?

These promotions could be used for units no matter what combat mod is in play or none.

I'd suggest forced march just gives the unit +1 mvmt but a combat penalty (eventually would be represented as fatigue once that's been better worked into odds.)

I'll have to add another tag to denote that the status update doesn't cost the unit's movement for these but removing these statuses should as it would mean the unit takes the turn to rest to get over the effects.

While many of the intricacies of these requests would be difficult and data consuming to implement, I have implemented Forced March and Quick March concepts here. Once I get them onto the SVN, see what you think.

OK what is the purpose of QM and FM (see pic) also, when i click on one for a "promotion" it gives that promo to me but then changes back to the other one, and that keeps happening back and forth back and forth??

One has a -25 str and the other -25 str, man o man, thats horrible for an attacking force, IMPO??

One has a -25 str and the other -25 str, man o man, thats horrible for an attacking force, IMPO??

It is supposed to be. You are trading speed of movement for combat readiness.

Those promotions are there so that you can move your troops faster when it is safe eg when moving towards the front line to combat an invasion force. They need to stop being quick march to go back to combat ready.

OK what is the purpose of QM and FM (see pic)
They are to give a movement boost to the unit at a cost of combat effectiveness.

also, when i click on one for a "promotion" it gives that promo to me but then changes back to the other one, and that keeps happening back and forth back and forth??
It's supposed to do that as switching between them is free and costs no time, but its also supposed to be giving you the option of the promo that removes the status, however, that promo takes up the whole turn for the unit and can't be selected if the unit has moved at all that round. (You can't switch out the same round you take one of those statuses.) Please let me know if the option to remove becomes available for the unit in the next turn. If it doesn't it's bugged.

Yeah... it's best for emergencies and to hurry along units in safe territory only. Can also help a unit escape a unit trying to catch them.

EDIT: looking at the screenshot closer, 2 things show:
1) Spies should not be available to take these statuses since they don't have any combat ability.
and
2) It looks like there may be a bug since the unit in the second pic doesn't have the removal promo available and also looks like it hasn't moved this round.

They are to give a movement boost to the unit at a cost of combat effectiveness.

It's supposed to do that as switching between them is free and costs no time, but its also supposed to be giving you the option of the promo that removes the status, however, that promo takes up the whole turn for the unit and can't be selected if the unit has moved at all that round. (You can't switch out the same round you take one of those statuses.) Please let me know if the option to remove becomes available for the unit in the next turn. If it doesn't it's bugged.

Remove Enhanced March Button never available, for now, even for a unit that didn't move.

When the stand out status is selected, does the Remove Stand Out Status promo become available the next round? The answer to this determines whether it's an xml or code problem.

When the stand out status is selected, does the Remove Stand Out Status promo become available the next round? The answer to this determines whether it's an xml or code problem.

yes, it's working for stand out.

for march, it's always switching between forced et quick march

yes, it's working for stand out.

for march, it's always switching between forced et quick march

Well.. again, that's supposed to be possible. But if it's working for stand out that's good news because it means its purely an xml error. I'll have to take a look at what Toffer did with that stuff. He might've removed something he thought unnecessary that wasn't. Either that or I made a goof with it. That's possible too because I might've forgotten that promos NEED a unitcombat prereq to be selectable.

Either way, fixing xml is always easier than code ;)

Well.. again, that's supposed to be possible. But if it's working for stand out that's good news because it means its purely an xml error. I'll have to take a look at what Toffer did with that stuff. He might've removed something he thought unnecessary that wasn't. Either that or I made a goof with it. That's possible too because I might've forgotten that promos NEED a unitcombat prereq to be selectable.

Either way, fixing xml is always easier than code ;)

Yep, its working by adding unitcombats to PROMOTION_REMOVE_ENHANCED_MARCH_STATUS (tag was missing).

as it hasn't the bQuick Tag, it appears as intended when the unit has all its movement points.

About that, for the moment, it's possible to activate Quick March (giving +2 movement, -50% strength), moving the unit, et then activate Forced March (to only have the -25% strength).
It would be great if the unit cannot change status with 0 movement left.

Yep, its working by adding unitcombats to PROMOTION_REMOVE_ENHANCED_MARCH_STATUS (tag was missing).

as it hasn't the bQuick Tag, it appears as intended when the unit has all its movement points.

About that, for the moment, it's possible to activate Quick March (giving +2 movement, -50% strength), moving the unit, et then activate Forced March (to only have the -25% strength).
It would be great if the unit cannot change status with 0 movement left.

Good point. I can correct that.

A possible bug : I had a unit with Quick March activated during a turn. I saved the game. On reload, that unit still have the promotion , but all the Status promotion buttons didn't show (there are available for the other units).

I tried both normal save and auto-save.

Edit :
I tried by saving a unit with Force March : on reload, I can change to Quick March (and back to Forced March), but not Remove enhanced March.

Same problem with Standout (Unit with standout during the save cannot remove it)

What happens if you go another round?

EDIT: I think I found the bug. I've also resolved the other point made here about bQuick functionality. If the unit has either moved but still can move or hasn't moved at all and the status is quick, the unit can still select it but once the unit has fulfilled its full movement, even a bQuick status will be made unavailable.

Oh, and thank you for getting the unitcombat settings absolutely spot on Calvitix! You da man!

@Toffer: Brilliant move with the help info tag on the status promos that aren't bQuick. I added it to the Remove Enhanced March promo as well.

Also... I made spies unable to take Standout and Enhanced Move statuses as Standout might be a bit confusing since spies are ALWAYS and irrevocably invisible (and need to be) and a movement modifier at a cost of combat strength seems not-so-much a tradeoff for spies. There's a few other notonunitcombats assigned to those promolines based on some similar thinking.

What specifically would make a unit not qualify for this prereq? bPrereqNormInvisible

Edit: I noticed that you recently removed the bForBuildUp from all build up promos, what's the difference between that tag and bBuildUp?

What specifically would make a unit not qualify for this prereq? bPrereqNormInvisible

Edit: I noticed that you recently removed the bForBuildUp from all build up promos, what's the difference between that tag and bBuildUp?

1) If we're talking Hide and Seek, it's if the unit has a positive on any form of invisibility it qualifies for the prereq. This asks for the base amount of invisibility that the unit would have as tallied as if the unit has no negation on any invisibilities. If it's under non-Hide and Seek games it just asks if the unit normally has any Invisibility type.

2) I saw both were there and was confused as to why so I checked the schema and apparently only bBuildUp is in Promotionlines. The bForBuildUp tags apparently shouldn't have been there all along.

Top Bottom