1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C3C lan lag caused by CPU usage!!?!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by zoulias, Dec 26, 2004.

1. zoulias

zoulias Chieftain

Recently I tried my first multiplayer game when a friend game over and plugged in to my lan. The game worked fine, technically, but whatever game mode we played there was HUGE lag. I looked at my CPU usage and civ3 was at 50%. As I'm hyperthreaded this basically means 100% cpu usage. The same applied with my friends laptop. (He was at 100%cpu). There werent any other apps running, and considering my system is 3.0ghz i doubt its a power issue....
    There were some ways of returning the cpu usage to normal - if my friend looked at an advisor screen duting my turn for instance and other wierd things like that. We both have the most up to date patches. (1.22) and are XP. Any ideas?

2. MikeLynch

MikeLynch Just a Baker Street Muse

I also request help with this. I have run into the same issue, having now just started my first LAN game. For me, the lag manifests itself when I order a unit to do anything -- there's about a second of lag before it does anything.

I should mention that I am playing a scenario of my own design with totally non-animated units, so if anything, it should be faster!
    :sad:

Do we just have bad network configurations or something?

3. Shadow Phoenix

Shadow Phoenix Warlord

me playing normal one....no programs running in the background ....3.0 too

4. sadu

sadu Warlord

Generally speaking, running any game will suck 100% cpu usage - the game will use whatever is available to give you the best game performance. This is a good thing, if games only used 50% cpu, then you would just buy a 1.5GHz instead of a 3GHz chip.

I get the lag on 100mbps LAN as well, I don't think it's CPU related as single player civ will run perfectly on processors much slower than mine.

Edit: does anyone NOT get that 1sec lag in multiplayer?

5. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

I do get the lag on my ethernet lan games with my brother. It's still fun though!

6. azzacanth

azzacanth Warlord

sometimes I will get a second to several seconds of lag in multiplayer, especially doing things with multiple units at a time. Sometimes I will get none. For some reason the lag always seems to be on my mom's computer when we do our big games (3-4 people or more), for example I fortify a stack of workers and then all players get a flashed message waiting on player #2....

Her computer also causes problems with the turns turning over, sometimes will even lag for 50+ seconds..