C3C Load Errors – The game will now exit.

ejday

King
Okay, am I the only guy that keeps running into "Load Errors"?

Some are reasonable – like trying to get DYP to work right. That's a complex beast, so errors aren't that surprising.

Some are less so. Using a map created on an 1.21g editor, I was just handed a load error that I could quite decipher and correct. What in the world is the missing the entry "./Conquests Game Data\text\PediaIcons.txt": _LARGE ...? Large what? Does the error window just cut it off? Or is there something that's actually called that? Or does this mean that since C3C has been Conquests upgraded, it's going to have issues trying to run vanilla civ .bics? I wouldn't see why, especially since it comes with vanilla civ bics... so any thoughts on this one?

ejday said:
Using a map created on an 1.21g editor, I was just handed a load error that I could quite decipher and correct. What in the world is the missing the entry "./Conquests Game Data\text\PediaIcons.txt": _LARGE ...?

E-mail me the problem file (brad@aspyr.com) and we won't have to speculate. ;)

My guess is it's trying to construct the name of a .pcx file. A lot of the image files come in different sizes and the software has to choose the large or small version of the picture. So it takes the name of the object - improvement, resource, unit ... and sticks '_LARGE' on the end of it and then looks it up in the pediaicons.txt file. If you look at this file in TextEdit you'll se it's full of text keys like #TECH_Bronze_Working_LARGE etc. and they point to actual files like Art\tech chooser\Icons\06-bronzeWorking-large.pcx.

In this case it seems the object name is empty, so it's looking for an entry that doesn't exist. Brad will need to use your file to track down where the object name is going missing.

Brad Oliver said:
E-mail me the problem file (brad@aspyr.com) and we won't have to speculate. ;)
Okay, this was a learning experience for me in a few ways...

First of all, like an idiot, I played a different game – this one a Conquests bit. It was under the same flag so autosaves were named the same.

I saved over the offending file. Somehow, I'd stashed away other saves from earlier and tried to play through to reach and reproduce the same error. I was sure it would work, every time I fired up that one particular save I got the above error.

Well, I played and played and played. No error. I can't figure it out.
But if it comes back, I'll hop on. Maybe I'll try another map mod with generic civ and see if it does it again.

On the bright side, I learned that the saves are no longer in Civ folder but are rather in a dedicated save folder in the documents folder.
...Learn something new everyday.

Sorry guys.

I have the same problem, repeatedly. Running the Byzantines. Things are going well, when in 1862 the world comes to an end with that particular load error. Have gone back to saves from 2 - 20 years previous, and I get the same load error.

nylarthotep said:
I have the same problem, repeatedly. Running the Byzantines. Things are going well, when in 1862 the world comes to an end with that particular load error. Have gone back to saves from 2 - 20 years previous, and I get the same load error.

As before, e-mail me the problem save (the earliest one you have that exhibits the problem if possible) - brad@aspyr.com. Also, let me know if you are playing a scenario or have installed any third-party content.

Brad,

Thanks for looking at the file, I have emailed it to you. I also installed Civ III complete on my laptop, moved the save over to it, and got the same error message.

I'm having this problem as well, getting the same error message as ejday. I will e-mail the problem file when I get home tonight. I haven't installed any third party files though, it actually happened on my first game out of the box

nylarthotep said:
Any word on what is not right, and perhaps a fix?

I haven't dug into it too deeply yet, but the support guys tell me it can be temporarily worked around by repairing permissions.

nylarthotep said:
Any word on what is not right, and perhaps a fix?

I've been able to reproduce and fix this for the upcoming patch. As you might expect, repairing permissions (the "rebuild desktop" of the 21st century) does nothing useful for this bug, so don't bother with that.

Dear Brad,

I'm happy to hear the problem has been isolated and a fix is on the way. Could you say when we might expect the patch to be available?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 154
Ambrosius said:
I'm happy to hear the problem has been isolated and a fix is on the way. Could you say when we might expect the patch to be available?

It's winding its way through our QA department now. I'm told there are some multiplayer issues that have cropped up, so likely once those are fixed, it'll be ready. I can't imagine it being more than a week or so away at this point.

Brad Oliver said:
I can't imagine it being more than a week or so away at this point.
Every time I say something like that about my code, it turns out that it's months away. Guess my imagination isn't very good. :lol:

(Although that's most often because my advisor decides that it's suddenly critical to do ten times as much work for an improvement of 0.01%.)

Brad Oliver said:
It's winding its way through our QA department now. I'm told there are some multiplayer issues that have cropped up, so likely once those are fixed, it'll be ready. I can't imagine it being more than a week or so away at this point.

The problem appears to be happen just as a player attains "Code of Laws". I have been deliberately not selecting that option and have had no crash (so far). It's not ideal, but it does seem to be a workaround until the patrch fix is released.

KingGeoff said:
The problem appears to be happen just as a player attains "Code of Laws". I have been deliberately not selecting that option and have had no crash (so far). It's not ideal, but it does seem to be a workaround until the patrch fix is released.

It's actually related to having multiple items in your research queue. On occasion, the queue gets whacked and out of sync. The crash then presents itself the next time you achieve a tech and it removes the old research from the queue.

Ive been having the same load problem as the others here, but I'm now having a problem where I can load up the PBEM game, but it won't let me save it. The program quits to the main screen when I try to save and exit. Are these problems related?

@Akhhorus: See my thread on FileValet (linked in my signature). It's due to incompatible data left behind by the Windows version. FileValet removes it, but unfortunately you have to do it before you play. I know of no way to save once you've played from the incompatible save.

AlanH said:
@Akhhorus: See my thread on FileValet (linked in my signature). It's due to incompatible data left behind by the Windows version. FileValet removes it, but unfortunately you have to do it before you play. I know of no way to save once you've played from the incompatible save.

Thanks, I dled the program and the PBEM game works fine now. I'm having the problem that is the main topic of this thread(scenario PBEM refusing to load up) would FileValet work for this also?

Top Bottom