C3C Patch Rev. A Is Out

Yeah!!

From Inside Mac Games:

Here's a list of changes and fixes:

- Provides a Universal Binary for both the Civilization 3 Complete and Play the World applications.
- Fixes error "Load Error: Error Reading file: Missing Entry in: Game Data\text\PediaIcons.txt"
- Fixes instances where game would sometimes fail when completing research, giving an error about missing Civilopedia entries or other strange behavior.
- Fixed sporadic crashes when music cues were being stopped.
- Music stuttering should be greatly reduced.
- Custom scenarios (such as the SGOTM at civfanatics.com) are now properly found if placed in "~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios" (searched first) or "Conquests Game Data/Scenarios" (searched second)
- Saved files are now compressed. (Autosave files are never compressed, which is the same as the PC version.)
- When playing fullscreen (as opposed to a window), you may now temporarily leave the game by using either Cmd-H (OSX's hide command) or Cmd-Tab. Clicking on the game icon in the dock (or using Cmd-Tab again) will return you back to where you were.
- Compatibility fixes for several third-party mods. In particular, the "Rhye's of Civilization" mod now works. As a side effect, network games will not work with previous versions.

they don't mention the sound issues... uh oh! Downloading now to report. =)

Unfortunately, it seems the sound issues have not been resolved - at least not completely. I noticed that some units with .amb files now do have sound, but others still don't (heavy machine gunner e.g.)... it's really strange.

Well, anyway, great that it has been released. The other problems were more important, anyway (subjectively). Thanks, Brad! =)

Quasar said:
Unfortunately, it seems the sound issues have not been resolved - at least not completely. I noticed that some units with .amb files now do have sound, but others still don't (heavy machine gunner e.g.)... it's really strange.

I thought I caught them all. If you notice any others, let me know.

Some sounds specific to mods may not play, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Brad Oliver said:
I thought I caught them all. If you notice any others, let me know.

Some sounds specific to mods may not play, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Hi,

if you could tell me, approximately, what things were changed to make the sounds work, I could distinguish between original and modded units. It weren't the .amb files themselves, so it must be something "deeper". ;)

I just tried playing a self-made (vanilla) mod (in C3C of course), and for example a certain modded unit now did have sounds although the according .ini file does not cross-reference to files of a standard unit, which I first thought might have been an explanation for the sounds now working...
Another modded unit (in the aforementioned case the HMG) still didn't play the sounds, though, and the prerequisites are practically the same.

Cheers,
Q.

Quote from here
Brad Oliver said:
The preferred way to install mods and third-party stuff with the Rev. A patch is by using the ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete (or Play the World)/ hierarchy in your home directory. Doing this should keep your game data pristine as the app now looks in your home directory first and then falls back to your game install. This has the added benefit of allowing you to have per-user mod installations, which is particularly helpful if you're not using an administrator account.
I don't understand this thinking. This would require me to have game elements such as BIQs, unit animations, etc. in different directories, on different drive partitions, rather than all within one Civ-related directory structure. Wouldn't the scattering of files called on during the game slow it down even more?

Blue Monkey said:
Quote from here
I don't understand this thinking. This would require me to have game elements such as BIQs, unit animations, etc. in different directories, on different drive partitions, rather than all within one Civ-related directory structure. Wouldn't the scattering of files called on during the game slow it down even more?

I'm not quite sure if it has to do with this, but I'm indeed experiencing noticeably longer loading times. (turn times are the same, as far as I can tell)

Quasar said:
Unfortunately, it seems the sound issues have not been resolved ... The other problems were more important, anyway (subjectively).
I experience two primary problems that we were told this mod would address: load/path errors, and sound problems.

Certainly load/path errors are critical. But these errors relate specifically to mods we (Civ Fans in general) have created, and we have been working out solutions to these errors by copying appropriate subdirectory structures.

On the other hand, I don't remember any of us being able to solve the problem of sounds that shipped with the game not working when we installed the game as Aspyr directed, without modifications.

Which is more important to correct: faulty functioning as shipped; or errors resultant from trying to adapt modifications made by third parties using another platform/OS ?

Blue Monkey said:
This would require me to have game elements such as BIQs, unit animations, etc. in different directories, on different drive partitions, rather than all within one Civ-related directory structure.

It's optional, so no - it does not require that. ;)

What it does allow is for you to put all the files into ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete (or Play the World)/ and use that hierarchy instead. This directory mirrors the layout of the game data, so you can have Scenarios, Art, etc folders in there. The installation is then no more complex than what you were doing before.

It makes me uncomfortable seeing people replace the actual original game assets to get some mods to work, and it's not easy to go back and tell that you've replaced these files. If you keep all these changed files in one place - your home directory - mod management becomes a lot simpler IMHO.

Wouldn't the scattering of files called on during the game slow it down even more?

Not in my tests. There is some loading slow-down in this new build, but it's relatively minor and caused by the switch to Xcode.

Blue Monkey said:
I experience two primary problems that we were told this mod would address: load/path errors, and sound problems.

OK, so what sounds are *you* missing still in the Rev. A patch? The only one I've heard about so far is the Heavy Artillery as mentioned a few posts above. Let me know what's still broken and I can take a look.

If you don't tell me, I can't fix it. ;)

Blue Monkey said:
Which is more important to correct: faulty functioning as shipped; or errors resultant from trying to adapt modifications made by third parties using another platform/OS ?

I agree with you, actually. Notice the word "subjectively"? ;)

I didnt't think of faulty file paths as real problems, as they could easiliy be solved, and the sound... well, it is annoying, but there are worse things.
I was more concerned about the PTW feature practically missing, and certain crashes occuring which seem to be gone (except for one, but that's when winning a self-made mod, so...). The hiding-option comes in quite handy, too.

Quasar said:
if you could tell me, approximately, what things were changed to make the sounds work, I could distinguish between original and modded units. It weren't the .amb files themselves, so it must be something "deeper". ;)

The game code changed. ;) Not all .amb sounds will play properly (primarily .amb files that are totally unique to 3rd party mods, like some of the dinosaur ones) but the Firaxis-supplied ones (for lack of a better term) should play.

Again, let me know which do not and I will take a look.

Brad Oliver said:
The game code changed. ;)

I say! ;)

Brad Oliver said:
Not all .amb sounds will play properly (primarily .amb files that are totally unique to 3rd party mods, like some of the dinosaur ones) but the Firaxis-supplied ones (for lack of a better term) should play.

Again, let me know which do not and I will take a look.

The units I found so far (both run and attack .amb files don't work, but I think that should be obivous):
  • WWII Paratrooper
  • Heavy Machine Gunner (or MG Btl in WWII in the Pacific)
  • Knight
All these units are placed in the Civilization 3 Game Data folder.

Brad Oliver said:
OK, so what sounds are *you* missing still in the Rev. A patch?
My comment was more of a reply to Quasar's "subjective" priorities. Looks like he and I actually agree. So far I hear sounds great (Thank You!). But I'm proceeding slowly.

1) I copied my whole Civ 3 Complete path to a scratch drive internal to my Mac and applied the patch to it. The game starts up fine (Play Last World > an RoC random). Only played a couple of turns, but noticed sounds I didn't hear before the patch. I noticed the + & - buttons on the sliders in the domestic advisor screen are blacked out, but are functional.

Currently starting:
2) Erase scratch disk, and do clean install of C3C from DVD to which i will apply patch & start standard game.

To Do:
3) Install mods (RoC, TAM, Mughals to start with) one by one and see how patched install handles them.

I will post my results as I go.

Brad, let me say to begin with how much I appreciate all the blood, sweat, and tears you've given to our indulgence. Any criticisms I make, or shortcomings I point out are definitely pointed at the product, not you or your effort.

Blue Monkey said:
Brad, let me say to begin with how much I appreciate all the blood, sweat, and tears you've given to our indulgence. Any criticisms I make, or shortcomings I point out are definitely pointed at the product, not you or your effort.

I can only second that. =)

OK, did step 2. Played 24 turns of a standard game. I'm hearing sounds. No +/- black out as before. For Brad's reference: 450 mhz G3, 1 gb memory, OS 10.3.9.

I'm now going to start the mod installs. I'll probably start with TAM, then Mughals, since RoC seems to be well covered.

Blue Monkey said:
OK, did step 2. Played 24 turns of a standard game. I'm hearing sounds. No +/- black out as before. For Brad's reference: 450 mhz G3, 1 gb memory, OS 10.3.9.

I'm now going to start the mod installs. I'll probably start with TAM, then Mughals, since RoC seems to be well covered.

Maybe we can split our efforts? ;) I don't have the Mughals mod, but TAM.

I just reinstalled the TAM (probably nonsensical, but just to make sure), loaded a (tam-) saved game and played for some turns. Everything went perfectly, sounds work. (The aforementioned three units are still the only ones I found that don't play them, atm).

Empiremaker said:
From the website that dojoboy provied, is there anything that needs to be done (ex. Register) since it says I don't have permission do download, or is there a mirror site (I couldn't find one)?

Click (download should start directly) :thumbsup:

OK, I've taken a quick look at TAM (didn't see Quasar's post) and Mughals v.2.

TAM: I didn't install, as Quasar did, since I had already applied the latest mod patch and didn't want to go through that whole process. I just copied the BIQs and folders to the \Conquests Game Data\Conquests\ path on my scratch drive. Note that the TAM thread specifically states that TAM must be in that path. Game loads fine and I'm getting sounds. I've only played a couple of turns, to check I could get that far.

Mughals v.2: I tried copying the files to first \Conquests Game Data\Conquests\ , as with TAM (and where I had it working before), and then in \Conquests Game Data\Scenarios\. I get the load/path error I originally discussed here . I don't think that
Brad Oliver said:
applies, since the path and files being searched for are part of PTW. I can probably solve the issue by applying the known solution, but I was hoping that that patch made it so that C3C could find the PTW stuff.

Top Bottom