1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cain Suspends Campaign

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Antilogic, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Well, it's official as of a few minutes ago. Didn't see a thread already, so I figured I'd make one.

So, does anyone think this changes the race? Given how much he fell in the polls due to the scandals already, I think his supporters have already picked their seconds. If Gingrich can pick up a few of them and not go through the non-Romney crash, he seems well-poised for the early primaries.

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

This was clearly coming for some time now. Suspend isn't even the right word. He's done.

So we have an odd situation. We no longer have a competitive race. The front runner is not attractive to the majority of the primary voters. It's practically too late for more entries. And the primaries haven't even started yet.

As a whole, not good news for the Republicans. :p

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Well, I never took him seriously anyways.

4. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Yeah, considering that his supporters, well, picked him, I doubt they would run to Romney. Gingrich probably gets the most benefit from this.

Sad to see $9.99 pizza go though, fun to see his answer to everything in debates surrounded those three numbers.

5. Silurian

Silurian Deity

So does this mean that Obama will win unless there is some surprise.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

No, I'm pretty sure it hurts Obama politically. :)

7. Cutlass

Romney is still thought to have even odds in the general election if he's the nominee. Despite the Republican base only being lukewarm for him. But if Romney loses the nomination, it's Obama in a walk on win.

The election could still turn on the economy come next summer and fall. Signs of improvement will help Obama. If it gets worse, Romney would likely win.

I really had thought Perry would be a stronger candidate. But he just can't seem to manage to look like he has a clue in public.

8. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I hope Newt suspends his campaign now.

9. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

It's an unusual year that the debates have been so many and have shaped the field that the Republicans currently have. Rick Perry probably has the best ads of anyone (Romney is not really even advertising until later) but the debates have, as you said, shown the clear his clear ineptness.

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

This helps Newt and hurts Romney which has a chance of helping Obama as Romney would have a much better shot in the general than Newt.

11. anandus

anandus Errorist

So the people lefet over are Romney, Paul, Huntsman and Gingrich, right?

I don't know how it works, but could there be a surprise? Someone saying "I'm going to run for Republican candidate too!", or is this all there is?

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

You still have Bachmann, Perry, and Santorum, but I think it is basically down to Romney vs. Newt. WIthout out Cain there taking up not-Romney votes, Newt's chances just improved.

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

There are other candidates like Gary Johnson and Buddy Roemer (sp?) that never took off. Bachmann and Santorum are still in as well, although her campaign hasn't moved anywhere since she took the non-Romney plunge, and Santorum is just... well, Santorum.

Strictly speaking, there is no barrier to entry at this point, but anyone entering the race might not be listed on early primary ballots (deadlines have passed). Additionally, everyone currently in the campaign has been building up funds, getting endorsements, etc., so anyone entering now would be significantly behind the curve. I don't think there will be any more candidates.

EDIT: I forgot about Perry too, I guess I am terrible at counting. :)

14. mangxema

mangxema I

At this point, new entrants to the race is doubtful. You're coming up against filing deadlines to be put on the ballot, so people who join now aren't going to be playing with all 50 states on the table. Thus, they'd be at an inherent disadvantage, in addition to the disadvantage from joining the race so late.

So at this point, there's mainly Gingrich and Romney. It is possible that a not-Gingrich not-Romney (i.e., Santorum or Huntsman) might see a surge, but my feeling is that this won't happen b/c their core constituencies (social conservatives and um... sane people) aren't powerful in the party this cycle.

15. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

What about Perry splitting Gingrich's followers? And there's still time for Gingrich to do something silly.

I think there's room for a dark horse to emerge/re-emerge now.

Seems funny if Romney doesn't get the nomination a second time though. It'd make me feel the GOP is irreversibly split, except in antipathy to Obama/democrats.

16. madviking

madviking north american scum

The title of this thread should be "Cain pulls out."

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

or

"Cain Train Derails"

18. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Prince

His speech coincided with my breakfast this morning, so I actually watched some of it. I don't see how that man had a chance in the first place, he has the personality of wet bread.

I had to turn the TV off at the "I have made peace with my God" part. What the hell is he even talking about? Is he becoming a suicide bomber?

19. madviking

madviking north american scum

Except this isn't a sexual pun.

20. Cutlass

He made peace with his wife too. And he seems to think that his wife is at peace with him. Which I somehow kinda don't believe....