1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calabim, Dragons, and Gurid

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Ennui, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Ennui

Ennui Chieftain

Is it possible to capture Abashi, Eurabatres, or Gurid with beastmasters/rangers/any unit with subdue animal, get the captured super-beast to level 6, and then (playing Calabim) gift it vampirism?

2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Subdue animal doesn't capture them; you'll need Subdue Beasts.

I don't recall whether Gift Vampirism would work on them or not, and I'm not at my computer so I can''t look up the code to see if they would be blocked. I remember a lot of people gifting Vampirism to Duin, so it might. Duin is an animal though, while those are beasts. The Dragons' magic immunity might block it, but I think it works though python so it probably wouldn't.

3. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

I think it's possible, but why would you want to? Seems rediculous to me. Think overpowered and you'll unnerstand why.

4. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

Well when the object is to win, if you have that option I don't see why you wouldn't.

5. TheGreatSteve

TheGreatSteve Warlord

Besides, the only thing better than killing your enemies with a giant monkey is killing them with a giant VAMPIRE monkey.:lol:

6. MagisterCultuum

There are no monkeys in FfH. Vampiric Monkeys would be stupid. Vampiric Giant Apes, on the other hand, are awesome.

Glancing over the code, I see nothing that would stop you from giving these beasts vampirism.

7. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

I prefer to win with strategy and treachery, not GIANT APES!

8. JeffSteel

JeffSteel Warlord

Hmmmmmm, gargantuan monstrosities of impractical proportions for world domination, brilliant!! I like how the OP thinks. About the only thing better would be capturing the Avatar of Wrath and vamping him.

9. MagisterCultuum

As a Demon, The Avatar of Wrath is not a living unit, thus it cannot become a vampire.

10. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

You used to be able to have vampire Eidolins, was that changed in .34?

11. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Well, they are demons. Therefore, not alive. Hence, no chance of vamped Eidolins.

12. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

But there was a way you could exploit the system by making ritualists vampires and then upgrading them to Eidolins.

13. Demus

Demus King

that, and having 1 unit in the stack capable of becoming a vampire allowed every unit in that stack to get the promo at lvl 6, alive or not. This is how you used to get vampiric sphener ;).
    Don't know about upgrading though, never tried that one out (i almost always go order as the calabim, flauros + order makes for huge empires).

Back o.t.: i would LOVE to see a 500 exp vampiric gurid beating on an AI city, sounds pretty serious (as in, easily kill AA serious).

14. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Yeah, it seems like every unit that achieves Level 6 can become a Vampire.

I remember my first recent game playing as Alexis when I had a bunch of vampire werewolves as well as the Three Stooges - somehow the thought of those guys being vampires doesn't make much sense, but it is a fantasy mod.;)

Honestly, there should probably be some restrictions on which units or classes of units can become vampires.

15. JeffSteel

JeffSteel Warlord

I dunno, Sphener is an angle and thus not technically alive, but he gets vamped all the time anyway. ;)

Edit: Whoopse, was beaten to that observation already!

16. MagisterCultuum

Sphenor cannot become a vampire anymore. For a time, the python Prereq checked to make sure there was a living unit of a high enough level to be given vampirism, but when giving out the promotion the spell only checked to make sure the unit has a high enough level and was not a demon or undead. This has been fixed.

17. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Hence, no demon vampires anymore, people!

18. MagisterCultuum

The old code didn't allow demons to be given vampirism either.

They can still, however, upgrade Vampires to Eidolons who will be both vampires and demons. Reading from the Infernal Grimorie or exploring a dungeon also has a chance to turn a vampiric unit into a demon. Vampire Lords can also turn into Liches, who will be both undead and vampires.

19. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

I know, I was jus bein rediculous. Cuz I could. And cuz I'm bored.

20. fuzzy_bunnies

fuzzy_bunnies Prince

Speaking of vampires, I think it could be kinda neat to have Blinding Light also have a side effect of damaging vampires.