Calculation of bombard damage (catapults vs city)

civfnaticfan

Chieftain
Dear mates, i have difficulty calculating the actual damage my catapult will deal to a city. The bombard damage is 35 , vs a city with a strength of 55 (without walls), i am only dealing around 15 in damage. How exactly is it calculated in civ vi rise & fall? :queen::queen:

So you know the city strength shield thats says 55?... well for a start that may be wrong but it will be right in the combat panel. Have a read of the city strength link in my signature. Buts let's assume it is really 55.
So if you had a Bombard which is 55 vs a city strength of 55 which is a difference of 0. There are no modifiers for vs a city because this strength is what it is designed for.
If you look at the damage table linked in my signature at the 0 difference row, te damage dealt will be along that row (random chance) which is 24-36 damage.
However a catapult only does 35 so 35 vs 55 is a difference of -20 so look at the -20 row and it shows you are only doing 10-15 damage.
There does seem to be a lot of high end damage nowadays like they may have changed the randomiser, I'll have a look at it.
anyway, does that help?

There does seem to be a lot of high end damage nowadays like they may have changed the randomiser, I'll have a look at it.

Funny you say that, because my bombards / artillery have been shredding cities in my current game, and I was thinking I didn't remember them doing that before? However, it's been a while since I played slow paced warfare complete with building and then upgrading bombards, so it may just be my memory that's faulty.

Funny you say that, because my bombards / artillery have been shredding cities in my current game, and I was thinking I didn't remember them doing that before? However, it's been a while since I played slow paced warfare complete with building and then upgrading bombards, so it may just be my memory that's faulty.
The bombard will hits the wall first..(well for simplicity here) and typically walls are only ancient and therefore have 50 HP. So one shot at 0 difference and over half the wall is often gone. This is the reason rams are better than catapults, rams attack the 50 HP wall, catapults hit the 200 HP garrison.
Ah just realised you may be discussing high end damage, yeah will check it.

Thank you it is so much different from civ v! Civ vi really provides myriads way to invade a city rather than just using the conventional siege engines which is fairly nerfed in civ vi if you cannot keep up with the highest strength of Ai units through tech advancements .:goodjob:

Top Bottom