1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

California to get a 59% increase on insurance premiums

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Archbob, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

2. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

So basically this company is poorly managed and should go under soon...I'm sure there are other insurance companies that will be happy to fill the void....

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

There's good reason to think that conclusion is not true, and that there's actually a problem with the system.

:)

4. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

I think as in I think. But I am enough of an old fox to be quite sure that it would be most unlikely that somebody with such a cavalier attitude to this issue should be in such a condition.
    But judging from your answer, it seems that I was right. It seems like you most of the time is both sound and happy, at least enough to carry on your Cool Hand Luke routine frequently enough on an internet forum.
    How I should interpret your last sentence is beyond my poor imagination. I myself is chronically ill - as in every day. Sort of a walking medical textbook really. I am need of a lot of treatment and tests every year. I get those quickly and without any difficult procedures on the basis of it being my right as a citizen.They are performed by highly skilled medical people. What that should have with bureaucracy I can't really understand.
    I suppose you quite simply are quite clueless in regard to this.
    You see, in my country people don't face personal bankrupcy due to health problem. Neither do we have to quarrel with bureacratic knuckleheads in the insurance business regarding covering of medical treatment. We get easy access to this because it is our right. Which especially the chronical ill have reasons to be happy for. After all, health care is mainly for the sick.

5. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Very interesting post!! Makes a lot of sense, learnt something new here.

6. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

This is a rather poor comment to make and is in bad taste.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

You didn't read the article?

They are raising premiums because a substantial group of people has dropped coverage.

Again: If there were more people signed up, the costs would be less.

And by the way, if your insurance provider does this.. In the U.S... what is preventing you from going to a competitor, who charges less? That's what private healthcare is supposed to be all about, right? The free market? So why is this such a big deal?

8. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

His name is BasketCase, were his name something else I would concede your point that it is in bad taste. However, his name is BasketCase and on that note to your sir I say mlehhha :p :p :p

9. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Too many personal attacks and general rudeness, so this thread gets a time out. If anyone has something useful to post, PM me no sooner than 12 hours from now and I will consider reopening. If I do reopen, I expect better behavior.

Thanks

10. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Got a request to reopen, so here goes. Please don't make me come back to this thread again, because if I do, I'm bringing friends. Not the nice kind.

Good luck and behave.

Embargo OFF!

11. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

I can see the point in BasketCase posts about the cost of the care...If each time a doctor operates, he wouldn't cost thousands of $, HMO's wouldn't have huge care cost and people wouldn't have to pay high health insurance.

But since there is free market on care too, why doesn't health insurance ask for people to get to the cheapest doctor (on a price/result basis)?

I've never been in the US so i never experienced HMO's, but when i watched Sicko from Michael Moore, i was quite amazed by several things:
    -the amount of profit from HMO's (not the case of blue shield visibly)
    -how health insurance companies could reject care to people (and having them dying)
    -how health insurance companies could kick people out because of "pre-existing conditions" or whatever thing they would find and can use...

When i watch american shows linked to hospitals, there are always a third of a season about some people having insurance issues...I never watched that in non-american shows!

Are you american people afraid of being sick? If I were you and if what i know of your system is true, i surely would be...

12. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

I see no authority on which behalf one can decide what the customer has to care about and what not. And I see many reasons why a lie about whatever aspect of a product is not helping the free market to unfold.
    No, but to claim it has no influence is.

13. Aegis

Aegis Deity

I know that the health care reform bill made it so that the insurance carriers cannot hike annual rates any more than 10% per year, but I do not believe it kicks in until 2014. Here at the business I work at, rates have gone up by 15% for the last three years, however this year's renewal was only 5%.

Translation: Our profit margin is not as high as we'd like it to be since we can no longer collect premiums on healthy constituents who have dropped their policy, so we're raising your rates to make up the difference.

14. galdre

galdre Emperor

health care should be non-profit

15. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

Businesses have a right to privacy just like individuals. It just must not interfere with the proper function of the economy. The reasoning that a business uses to make decisions does not affect the economy. Only the actual choice does.

Now in this case there are some regulations, so the companies do have to be honest to the regulatory body.

Yeah, but that's not the case.

16. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Forcing the insurance companies to compete with a government-run rival flies in the face of the free market & capitali....Oh, wait.

17. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

Again, on what authority do you say so? Why should it be that way? On what grounds a consumer makes decisions does not depend on what grounds you or any other deems it to. It is a free market, remember?
    That is not to say I argue against privacy, I argue against deception.

So a company has every right to shut up about many things. Like why they increase the price. But does this equal the right to lie about many things? Why the hell should it? Now I know that you don't see the company lying about the price increase, but it certainly does. I'll get to that right away.
    So if I have a basket of apples and bananas and I ate 8 apples and one banana, it is a lie to say I ate no bananas but it is not a lie to say I only ate apples? How so?

To say increase x is caused by factor y even thou factor y only accounts for a part of x (which was the supposition used by me in the first post) is just the same thing.

This may not be a lie in its purest and simplest shape but actually in a deformed shape to hide that it is a lie, but it is a lie nevertheless (unless you can explain why in my example no bananas does not equal only apples regarding its dishonest and fraudulent essence).

18. Torgny

Torgny Warlord

Insurance companies in USA has made health care very, very expensive. Health care in USA is most expensive in the world per capita. Americans pay for example almost twice the price per capita for health care compared to Britain. In Britain health care is largely run by government, and it includes all people. If a politician misbehaves he can be sacked in the next election. But insurance companies can continue to run a system that makes health care very expensive

19. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

Well the American people could sack the politicians for creating a system that allows such a health care mess in the first place, or as it admittedly is a little late for that sack the ones that allow it's continuance. But constructing a health care of efficiency and being a fascist hell hole are not too distant, so their caution is warranted. Right?

20. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

Most people get health insurance from their employer who signs a multiyear contract so individuals don't routinely shop for health insurance per say. Sure, once every couple of years the employer will go over their choices and can change but that's a slow and inefficient version of competition.

BTW you're right that the larger the insurance pool (the number of people with the insurance) the smaller the cost to each person. That's why national health insurance works so well with such substantially lower costs; there is no way to get a larger pool then every single person in a country.