California to teach gay history and rights in school

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, Apr 16, 2011.

1. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

In American History? Can't recall any. I don't think there was ever a very strong Chinese Rights movement in America.
    What is your point?

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I find it odd that some people apparently still think that science is an enemy of any church, much less that it can have martyrs and saints. But then again, back then the RCC wasn't just any church. Official church dogma specified exactly what should be believed and what should not. Nobody was allowed to contradict it without risking an inquisition where draconian measures would then be taken to silence the heretic.

Fortunatly, the RCC is finally reversing those charges of heresy against Galileo nearly 400 years after the fact:

A Message to Galileo: All Is Forgiven

3. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Wut? o.O

Mutual incomprehension? :lol:

4. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Yes. Back then, the RCC didn't even understand the basics of our own solar system. And Galileo didn't properly understand the implications of pointing that out to them.

5. Aegis

Aegis Deity

By "pointing it out to them" you mean by writing his book? Where would the world be if any book/person contradicting the church's teachings had never been published/spoken out? The misunderstanding & incomprehension was all on their part, not Gallileo's.

By saying that it was mutual, the Vatican is saying that it's partially his own fault for his punishment, which is ridiculous. Just because it was cause-and-effect does not mean that his punishment was just. It just goes to show how unreasonable the church can be and how unrepentant their "apology" really is.

6. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Is this really your only objection to studying gay rights? That it won't fit in the curriculum? Somehow I doubt it.

Another thing, I have seen Chinese mentioned in American history textbooks. Covering gays in a history class is still pretty much a taboo subject and it shouldn't be.

7. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

Teaching children how LGBT people have been mistreated, attacked, abused, and discriminated against is obviously the best way to encourage them to be gay. Who wouldn't want to be gay with a life like that on offer?

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

1850-1920.

9. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Different? Please quit with your homophobia. Who are you to say being gay is different. A gay person could just as easily say being straight is different.

Also, people don't choose to be gay. When did you chose to be straight? Or were you always attracted to females and not males? People are born with an attraction to a certain gender or an attraction to both genders.

Sigh...

10. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

So Celtic, if sexuality is a choice, when did you choose to be straight?

11. SimSimSalabim

SimSimSalabim Chieftain

If by choosing to be straight, Celtic means choosing to live a lie and deny their true feelings about their same gender - please explain to us how you fought off being attracted to both sexes and why you chose to be attracted to solely women?

12. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I have never been attracted to men, only women.

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Why did you choose to be attracted to women, when to be asexual is more virtuous?

14. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

how is asexuality virtous?

15. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Remember, ParkCungHe is Catholic...

16. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

1 Corinthians 7:8

17. Behind The Mask

Behind The Mask King

I'm not Catholic and I feel asexuallity, or a life of celibacy, is quite a virtous road to follow...

18. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I don't think that its "More virtuous", in the sense that you say. I think it means that single people have an opportunity to serve God in ways married people can't. Of course, the reverse is also true...

19. Behind The Mask

Behind The Mask King

My feeling is that it is more virtous as it is, in my opinion, a heightened state of self control and responsibility (the Celibacy, that is); the individual takes it upon himself to utterly deny all forms of carnal sin and attempts to follow such a path.

Some people would argue that the only guard against 'sin' is religion and to repent, I feel that to many people (Atheist or Theist) just plain disregard the good old concept of personal responsibility and control.

20. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Interesting how you dodged the question.

But I guess you already gave the answer
    You never chose, you just were.