1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Call me completely crazy BUT: I think I nailed Celts as viable Civ

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Pavel Chichikov, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

How is that relevant? Trajan was before Diocletian.

2. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

And now that I think about it, having Augustus as a profile picture when my name is "The Diocletian" is a little nonsensical. :crazyeye:

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Oh that's Augustus? Busts of Roman emperors all look the same to me.

Or rather, that picture doesn't look like the typical Augustus you usually have in mind, and I had no idea what Diocletian looked like.

4. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

This is a bust of Diocletian: (you're right, Roman busts tend to look the same, maybe as a virtue of the medium they're working)

Spoiler :

5. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Well, it would certainly make the GB much more interesting than it is right now; while giving some incentive for France to gobble up Brittany the good old fashioned way.

Should the Celts be included, and allowed to exist up into the Modern Age as Ireland... Could their Civ Music be Riverdance? :D

Come on, it would be cool :D

6. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

So, if the Scots actually do vote Yes next week...maybe we could celebrate their independence with the inclusion of playable Celts? :)

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

At least there's time for a little easter egg :lol:

8. VGL

VGL Deity

so,when the Scots get their independence so i go out and get a new map

9. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Could try and colonize surely, just do a better job than the real Scots whose failure bankrupted the state and lead to the union with England. Which begs the question, would that spot on Panama be historical for the Scots or red with a big warning sign :D

Plus you could be like Robert the Bruce invading England and Ireland and forming the Auld Alliance with France

10. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Actually yes, playable Celts ought to be settled Scotch/Irish Gaels/Picts rather than wild nomads of Pannonia and Gaul who barely had cities. They could spread Christianity through savage Europe, create illuminated bibles, fight the English for control of Britain and perhaps later navigate to the New World and settle Newfoundland. However, there are three or four other, more interesting civs that could be added rather than stuffing another civ into Europe (albeit the western fringe).

11. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

Yeah.. it would prevent the English from completely steamrolling (anachronistically, at least) the Isles.

12. SeekTruthFromFacts

SeekTruthFromFacts King

I don't think we have a UB yet for playable Celts. What about a souped-up monastery that gives a trade route, or gives 100% bonus for trade routes that cross water? Something that represents the era when the Celts were the beacons of Latin/Christian civilization in NW Europe.

13. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Why not a UB called Mainistir (Irish for Monastery)? I know that all Celts were not Irish, but that is the closest I can come up with a term in a Gaelic language, sorry. If you guys feel the Scottish word it to be more accurate, or even better, find a more accurate name for it, I'm all ears.

Oh, and I support having the Celt core area in Ireland. As to keep them alive even after the lose the rest of their belongings on the European mainland. That would make England bother to occupy Ireland the good old fashioned way. They'd be yet another player in the whole state of affairs, not a largely relevant one, but still one.

If England chooses to go full United Kingdom on them, then so be it. But make it with a fight.

Revamping the islands would be cool though, as to make Wales and Scotland more dynamic as places to think about. Maybe to the point of being able to settle up to one city in Wales, two cities in England proper, and two cities in Scotland. If there's space, maybe even two cities in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast much?)

I'll try and post an image as to see if that could be viable. Umm, how do you post images again? (Sincere question, I wanna help :) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Christianity

14. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

[IMG:)][/IMG:)] insert link to image. Use spoiler tag as well.

15. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

The Isles are already blown out of proportion. To expand them even more? Questionable.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

On the contrary, out of the question.

17. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Ireland shouldn't be rich and if we're being technical about what an urban area is, it should barely even have cities until 900 AD (i.e. well after the golden age of the Gaels). Celtic cities there would be rather anachronistic since, unlike Scotland, they were glorified monasteries until the Vikings arrived.

18. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

Again, I think this would be fun, unique and practicable if the winning of Celtic UHV comes roughly the same time or shortly after England spawns. I don't think they'd work for a 600 AD start. Another one of those very intricate, rapid Classical-era playstyle civs where every turn counts and there's no dull slog-outs or epic Empire management.
    I don't think crowding is an issue, they'd be sharing Europe with Greece, Rome, Carthage & the Norse before the UHV is up.

Core would be Ireland, Brettony and Wales. Scotland would be historical (out of England's core now), France, North Italy, Catalonia & Central Anatolia contested.

19. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

And the Scots vote no. Boo-urns

20. Novicenoble

Novicenoble Prince

Then another alternative history scenario here! :D