Call me completely crazy BUT: I think I nailed Celts as viable Civ

Oh that's Augustus? Busts of Roman emperors all look the same to me.

Or rather, that picture doesn't look like the typical Augustus you usually have in mind, and I had no idea what Diocletian looked like.

Oh that's Augustus? Busts of Roman emperors all look the same to me.

Or rather, that picture doesn't look like the typical Augustus you usually have in mind, and I had no idea what Diocletian looked like.

This is a bust of Diocletian: (you're right, Roman busts tend to look the same, maybe as a virtue of the medium they're working)

Spoiler :

Well, it would certainly make the GB much more interesting than it is right now; while giving some incentive for France to gobble up Brittany the good old fashioned way.

Should the Celts be included, and allowed to exist up into the Modern Age as Ireland... Could their Civ Music be Riverdance? :D

Come on, it would be cool :D

So, if the Scots actually do vote Yes next week...maybe we could celebrate their independence with the inclusion of playable Celts? :)

At least there's time for a little easter egg :lol:

So, if the Scots actually do vote Yes next week...maybe we could celebrate their independence with the inclusion of playable Celts? :)

so,when the Scots get their independence so i go out and get a new map

I think that would be a bit much, "the great migration" is main reason playing Celts would be fun in the first place. Playing as Scots would be no fun at all, you'd have nothing to do except turtle in the top corner being smashed by England (which is basically why I was always against Celts).

I think you can do it with AI, again Phoenicia now plays quite well for computer & human.

Could try and colonize surely, just do a better job than the real Scots whose failure bankrupted the state and lead to the union with England. Which begs the question, would that spot on Panama be historical for the Scots or red with a big warning sign :D

Plus you could be like Robert the Bruce invading England and Ireland and forming the Auld Alliance with France

Actually yes, playable Celts ought to be settled Scotch/Irish Gaels/Picts rather than wild nomads of Pannonia and Gaul who barely had cities. They could spread Christianity through savage Europe, create illuminated bibles, fight the English for control of Britain and perhaps later navigate to the New World and settle Newfoundland. However, there are three or four other, more interesting civs that could be added rather than stuffing another civ into Europe (albeit the western fringe).

Actually yes, playable Celts ought to be settled Scotch/Irish Gaels/Picts rather than wild nomads of Pannonia and Gaul who barely had cities. They could spread Christianity through savage Europe, create illuminated bibles, fight the English for control of Britain and perhaps later navigate to the New World and settle Newfoundland. However, there are three or four other, more interesting civs that could be added rather than stuffing another civ into Europe (albeit the western fringe).

Yeah.. it would prevent the English from completely steamrolling (anachronistically, at least) the Isles.

I don't think we have a UB yet for playable Celts. What about a souped-up monastery that gives a trade route, or gives 100% bonus for trade routes that cross water? Something that represents the era when the Celts were the beacons of Latin/Christian civilization in NW Europe.

I don't think we have a UB yet for playable Celts. What about a souped-up monastery that gives a trade route, or gives 100% bonus for trade routes that cross water? Something that represents the era when the Celts were the beacons of Latin/Christian civilization in NW Europe.

Why not a UB called Mainistir (Irish for Monastery)? I know that all Celts were not Irish, but that is the closest I can come up with a term in a Gaelic language, sorry. If you guys feel the Scottish word it to be more accurate, or even better, find a more accurate name for it, I'm all ears.

Oh, and I support having the Celt core area in Ireland. As to keep them alive even after the lose the rest of their belongings on the European mainland. That would make England bother to occupy Ireland the good old fashioned way. They'd be yet another player in the whole state of affairs, not a largely relevant one, but still one.

If England chooses to go full United Kingdom on them, then so be it. But make it with a fight.

Revamping the islands would be cool though, as to make Wales and Scotland more dynamic as places to think about. Maybe to the point of being able to settle up to one city in Wales, two cities in England proper, and two cities in Scotland. If there's space, maybe even two cities in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast much?)

I'll try and post an image as to see if that could be viable. Umm, how do you post images again? (Sincere question, I wanna help :) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Christianity

[IMG:)][/IMG:)] insert link to image. Use spoiler tag as well.

Why not a UB called Mainistir (Irish for Monastery)? I know that all Celts were not Irish, but that is the closest I can come up with a term in a Gaelic language, sorry. If you guys feel the Scottish word it to be more accurate, or even better, find a more accurate name for it, I'm all ears.

Oh, and I support having the Celt core area in Ireland. As to keep them alive even after the lose the rest of their belongings on the European mainland. That would make England bother to occupy Ireland the good old fashioned way. They'd be yet another player in the whole state of affairs, not a largely relevant one, but still one.

If England chooses to go full United Kingdom on them, then so be it. But make it with a fight.

Revamping the islands would be cool though, as to make Wales and Scotland more dynamic as places to think about. Maybe to the point of being able to settle up to one city in Wales, two cities in England proper, and two cities in Scotland. If there's space, maybe even two cities in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast much?)

I'll try and post an image as to see if that could be viable. Umm, how do you post images again? (Sincere question, I wanna help :) )

The Isles are already blown out of proportion. To expand them even more? Questionable.

On the contrary, out of the question.

Ireland shouldn't be rich and if we're being technical about what an urban area is, it should barely even have cities until 900 AD (i.e. well after the golden age of the Gaels). Celtic cities there would be rather anachronistic since, unlike Scotland, they were glorified monasteries until the Vikings arrived.

Again, I think this would be fun, unique and practicable if the winning of Celtic UHV comes roughly the same time or shortly after England spawns. I don't think they'd work for a 600 AD start. Another one of those very intricate, rapid Classical-era playstyle civs where every turn counts and there's no dull slog-outs or epic Empire management.
I don't think crowding is an issue, they'd be sharing Europe with Greece, Rome, Carthage & the Norse before the UHV is up.

Core would be Ireland, Brettony and Wales. Scotland would be historical (out of England's core now), France, North Italy, Catalonia & Central Anatolia contested.

Top Bottom