1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Call me completely crazy BUT: I think I nailed Celts as viable Civ

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Pavel Chichikov, Apr 23, 2014.

1. VGL

VGL Deity

So are you happy or not? it seems like you're not since you hate the Brits(after all, you're username does have Irish in it).

2. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

There's more people in the city of London than Scotland.

3. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

I don't hate the Brits at all. I do think the Scots have missed a once in a lifetime opportunity though, not many countries get that sort of opportunity at peaceful independence from a stable, wealthy foundation. But the yearning for independence has to come from deep within, which it didn't for enough Scots. I do think they'd be better off in the long run though, there's no reason why they couldn't have been as successful as any other Northern European country. If they were independent when oil was first discovered you'd imagine they'd be like Norway now.

Still, their independence wouldn't have been ideal for Ireland and they might help keep Britain in the EU if that ever comes to a vote.

There's more people in London than over half the countries in the world :confused:

4. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

Jumping to conclusions, are we? Why would he automatically hate Brits just from being Irish? It's not like if I were to call myself a Texan, then I would detest every other State in the USA. Anywhere one may identify his/herself as a certain ethnic or cultural group; only in a miniscule minority it supremacism or xenophobia implied. (Ex. KKK or other radical group)

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

If Scotland is better off in the long run strongly depends on the outcome of the next British referendum.

6. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

What if England became independent from Britain. The United Kingdom would be a little wonky, wouldn't it?

7. SeekTruthFromFacts

SeekTruthFromFacts King

Isn't that what the OP's about....? :)

8. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

Aaaaand... the Scottish respawn has been voted down. Nearly 50% in favour of 'yes' isn't a bad result considering practically all the world's media was screaming about all the terrible things that would happen if Scotland went its own way.

Is anyone interested in trying a modmod for this? I would but I'm no good with computers.

9. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

"They can never take away our FREEDOM -- but we can!"

10. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Any French or Danes here? You'll be glad to know you can relax, you'll no longer have to worry about the might of the Celts bearing down on you as the Irish government have announced they're formally withdrawing the declarations of war against Denmark in 1666 and France in 1744 :c5faith:

11. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Oh that's good, I was really worried that Ireland was going to take France and Denmark by tank and battleship.

12. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

To tell the truth the Irish army has neither tanks nor battleships. Which wasn't a problem when it came to the French they surrendered anyway, it was the Danes that worried us

13. sebzilla

sebzilla Warlord

Did there used to be a Dye resource in Britain that's been removed? I was bored at work and came up with this, but without at least one accessible Dye resource it's all for nothing! Sharing anyway as I think there are a few ideas that could be reworked.

UP: Power of Druids - Priests provide +1 Culture and +1 Science while running Animism

UB: Hill Fort - Replaces Walls, available without Masonry, +2 XP with Dye (woad)

UU: Gallic Axeman(?)

UHV1: Control at least 2 cities in Gaul, 1 in Britain, 1 in Ireland, 1 in Iberia in 50BC - Reflects Celtic expansion over Western Europe
    UHV2: Be the first to discover Metal Casting (plus another tech maybe?) - Reflects the advanced and beautiful metalwork the Celts were famed for.
    UHV3: Control 2(?) Dye resources and chop [x] forests by [date] - Reflects the loss of ancient woodlands chopped to make way for widespread farming of sedentary peoples in Europe.

Stonehenge - Prebuilt in Indy city of Old Sarum (Southampton Cows tile) - gives ability to build Plantations without Calendar tech. City will autoraze on English spawn to make way for London as per Thai/Khmer.

Gameplay: Spawn Vienna (Hallstatt) in 800BC(?), chop forests to hurry 3+ Settlers, conquer Old Sarum for Stonehenge to allow Dye hook up for UHV and veteran units. AI will likely collapse either under pressure from Romans or spawning France/Spain/England. Shift core to Ireland with historical in Scotland/Brittany etc if possible longer game for human play is desired. No flip of Scotland for England or Brittany for France (maybe stability dependent?)

Leads to a continual cycle of invasion in Britain that reflects history better: "Indigenous" Britons->Celts->Romans->Anglo-Saxons.

edit: Oh, is the Dye just there in 600AD start? Didn't see it in WB when I went to check out before in 3000BC.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The dye spawns later to avoid cheese with the old Carthaginian UHV.

15. sebzilla

sebzilla Warlord

Ah, that makes sense. No reason it can't be permanent these days though, right?

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah, but a while ago there was the reasonable proposal that the resources in northern Europe should spawn later in general to discourage ahistorical Roman settlement and such, so if I ever get around to it I would probably change more resources into that direction.

Of course things are a bit different if you want to include the Celts.

17. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

That uhv with forest chopping & 'representing anglo-saxons' (who seemed to have practiced a conquest as genocidal as any in history, according to recent linguistic & dna data) isn't found to work though. Celtic paganism has been subject to all kinds of romantic nonsense, when in actuality they were the main Christian culture in North Europe. The height of Celt civilisation was in Ireland before the endless calamities starting with the Norse.

I considered my suggestion feasible mainly because it deals with the emptiest era in europe, between roman collapse and the viking era. Ending uhv exactly at English spawn is appropriate. Similar with Khmer/Thai.

18. sebzilla

sebzilla Warlord

The Anglo-Saxons in my plan are represented by a) Roman collapse leading to Indy/Barb city in England and/or b) English spawn.

Point taken about paganism being overplayed, but it's definitely one of the key aspects of Celtic culture, at least in the times prior to Christianisation (as represented by UP of Druids only being active under Animism). Perhaps UHV3 could be to build a Catholic Monastery in Ireland by the English spawn date?

19. Publicola

Publicola Prince

All right, the Celtic civilization came up again in the "Suggestions and Requests" thread, so I figured it'd be worthwhile to make something more official.

After looking at the others in this thread, here's my proposal:

Civilization: The Celts
    Starting Date: circa 800 BC
    Leader: Brennus (to start) Vercingetorix (after UHV 1), Bouddica (after UHV 2)
    Starting City: Halstatt (on or 1 tile west of the Vienna site). Core includes most of central Europe and Gaul. Core will move to Ireland and western France after second city in Ireland is founded, a la Phoenicia becoming Carthage)

Unique Power: all units receive Woodsman I and II promotion.
    Unique Unit: either use the current Gallic Axemen, or borrow the 'Pictish Warrior' from Civ 5.
    Unique Building: either a Hillfort (replaces Walls, gives Exp) or a Ceilidh (replaces Monument, gives +10% unit production per unimproved forest beside a city)

UHV 1: control Gaul, Galicia, and Northern Italy by 250 BC (2 cities in France, 2 in Spain, 1 in N. Italy
    UHV 2: control the British Isles by 1 AD (2 cities in Ireland, 1 in Scotland, 2 in England)
    UHV 3: build a Christian cathedral by 600 AD

20. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

Christianity was spread to Ireland by pagan Irish pirates raiding Welsh kingdoms in northern England for slaves just after the Romans left but just before the Saxons invaded. St Patrick was from Cumbria IIRC.

Also there needs to be some definition between ancient Celts and the later Brythonic/Goidelic medieval Celts, a Pictish warrior UU is ridiculous for a continental Celtic Halstatt or Gallic as is a Gallic axeman for the Irish/Scottish as is a monastery being a UU that early and the Scottish building an iron age hill fort in 1300

This is why, when I think about the idea of a single Celtic civ representing everything from the Hallstatt culture and the Roman-Gallic wars to Brian Boru and Robert de Brus I increasingly dislike it.