1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Call To Arms: CBO Weekly Civ Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Funak, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Funak

Funak Chieftain

After the success of my first weekly (even if it was just 1 day) Washington challenge I felt inspired to make another one. So every week I'm going to rotate for a new civ that I will encourage you to play and then report back about your experiences with.
    Yeah, this is not solely for your entertainment, this is for Science, Balance and the glory of the empire. Hopefully feedback received here is going to help strengthen balance over all.

Anyways the challenge I present to you is to play the weekly suggested civ, any maptype any victory condition any gamespeed and any difficulty, then you report back to this thread with anything from a detailed let's play to a simple overview of what you think of the uniques or the civ in general. There definitely isn't any experience-requirements necessary to post feedback but if you think your experience is coloured by the difficulty to chose to play on, mentioning that in the post would probably be helpful (for example claiming Arabia is overpowered because you played on settler and got all wonders :D).

As you might have expected this is also a contest, but not a contest in the normal sense, this is a contest of wits, skill, strength and character. The contest is writing the best possible story to go with your play-through, role-playing is encouraged but not required, just keep in mind that I'm going to be the one reading them, and I'm not known for my patience when it comes to long texts :D. Still if you keep it interesting I'm probably going to keep reading. I'm going to be acting Judge, Jury and Executor for this contest and I'm extremely bribable and weak to flattery.
    The exclusive price for this illustrious contest is bragging-rights and the title of 'King of RP' for the week.

Now for this weeks challenge:

The challenge this week takes you deep into the heart of the jungle, there you must master the way of the rivers, the lakes and the swamps. You must take up the mantle of Montezuma, leader of the Aztecs.

2. Myrrdin_Emrys

Myrrdin_Emrys Chieftain

Well i'm still playing the american game started the 4th July but not finished yet cuz meanwhile my computer went K.O (im sure its a communist sabotage !)

Can we talk about the strenght/weakness/balance of the civ in this tread too after seeing a couple of game, or hte posts must have been only game report ?

ANd please for the next week great Funak, select a challenge with France for the 14th july national day !

3. Takagi Hiro

Takagi Hiro Chieftain

I love how this is pretty much the sheer opposite of G's thread. :lol:

4. Funak

Funak Chieftain

Unfortunately by the nature of these things the 14th of july is this week and I'll be switching next Friday. But we can definitely go with France at that point even if it is slightly late.

As for balance-talk, Absolutely write it here, as long as it's for the current challenge (if you're still doing Washington for example, please keep that discussion in the America-thread).

Glad you guys are enjoying yourself so far.

As for the Aztecs themselves, I'm not entirely done with the game but most of what I suspected was the problem with the Aztecs still seems to haunt them. There seems to be very little synergy between the Aztec uniques. They have a UB that's a okay and mostly promotes peaceful play, it used to be REALLY strong(vanilla) then fairly good when it was moved to CPP and now after the science-nerf it feels underwhelming. They have a fairly strong unique unit that shows up so early that there is very limited time to use it. They have a unique ability that rewards victory in warfare without giving them the means to actually win.
    Some synergy exists between the UA and the UU, you can hunt barbs for faith and you can declare a really early war to try and get a free golden age out of it, but once that's over you're kinda out of synergy.

5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

It is really difficult to judge the success/failure of a Civ without some control elements. As such, feedback in this thread is of limited use. I'd also recommend that the civ in this thread match the competitive thread (or vice-versa), as the community is not active enough to support two separate weekly challenges with two different civs.

G

6. Funak

Funak Chieftain

I disagree.

7. Gazebo

And that's your prerogative. You get to chime in on every thread I create with critical feedback, so it seemed almost required that I return the favor. Nevertheless, I remain steadfast in my conviction that there's no reason for the challenges to compete against each other – if using the same civ, we divide it into players that want a scoreboard v. players that just want to play. Fracturing the community for no discernible benefit seems petty.

G

8. Funak

Funak Chieftain

They aren't competing, this is a project of love and science, and love of science. In fact no one competes with anyone here, other than in poetry and storytelling.

If you believe that this is enough to fracture the community then I believe you're really not giving the community enough credit, they are probably capable of bookmarking two different threads depending on their disposition.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being petty, people asked me to do a rotating 'civ of the week'-challenge and I made one. I'm not planning on limiting or adjusting my civ-choices based on your wishes.

9. Gazebo

I'm not the one being fractious, as you did not read what I wrote:

The challenges should coordinate. I'm not asking anyone to do anything 'based on my wishes' (and the mere implication of that on your part is shameful). I'm asking for coordination.

Please reel in the sass. You are better than that, man.

G

10. Funak

Funak Chieftain

I'm not sassing, I just don't see this as being a big deal at all.
    I don't want to coordinate because I want to in charge of my own project. As soon as I'm not in charge of my own project I get bored of it and I don't like that.

11. Gazebo

Wait, what? Really? Then why are you still part of the Community Patch Project. You aren't making any sense.

Nevertheless, no sense arguing with the stubborn. Suit yourself.

G

12. mikes61293

mikes61293 Chieftain

I agree that there should be only one civ of the week. Personally I like Funak's method a little better but I see no reason that we can't have both a challenge and a free play. The biggest issue I have with the challenges is that it encourages unnatural gameplay. You are forced into one victory condition and it encourages players to only play the best starts and to do everything possible to cheese. But that's just my 2 cents.

13. Gazebo

I think have one competitive/structured and one unstructured is fine. Some players like structure, others do not. Matching civs feels pretty natural, though.

G

14. Funak

Funak Chieftain

I don't see me as being a part of the community patch project, if I'm not coding I'm not contributing. I do from time to time make suggestions, sometimes in the form of screaming in a hallway until someone reacts to it and sometimes by actually making lists and working on something like a sub-project (like the yield rework or the natural wonders thing for example) and from those experiences I can tell you that the only way I can actually stay motivated is by having personal control over the project I'm trying to do.
    This is the main reason why half the projects I've started ended up half-finished and I don't feel like repeating it.

That being said I have absolutely no problem with suggestions, but I want to be able to on a whim switch the civ of the week to whatever I wish while I'm writing the weekly update message.

Good, then we are in agreement.

15. Gidoza

Gidoza Chieftain

Question: What's the difference between giving game feedback here or in the main thread about games played? I tend to post any info on my games there.

16. Gazebo

Ah, nope.

At this point, none whatsoever.

G

17. Funak

Funak Chieftain

The difference is that we can share feedback here and less experienced player can feel more comfortable posting their thoughts without fear of being taken too seriously in the main leader thread, we can then work with the feedback and stuff here and post actual full suggestions in the leader thread. Of course if you feel confident enough in your analysis to post a direct suggestion in the leader thread then you can absolutely skip the step of posting here.

Anyways I'm not exactly one hundred percent sure if this middle-step thing is actually going to make a difference but I felt like there was no harm in trying it out.

EDIT: I misunderstood your question, for the Games played thread there is absolutely no difference at all, other than that the other people responding here is going to be playing the same civ as you. Also you're in no way required to actually finish a game here, giving up halfway or getting destroyed by Askia also counts. So we accept partial game analysis and feedback here I guess :D
    We also accept things like "I was playing Austria but I never got to her uniques because I was bored out of my mind" ^^

18. Aristos

Aristos Chieftain

I wonder where Txurce is now, he that thinks I AM the one that tries to get under G's skin...

On topic: I will say it as usual, PC crap aside: Having two "whatever of the week" is stupid. There, you got it. Gazebo should be the one that manages this, as he knows best what he wants to test/balance/achieve with every iteration.

Thanks.

19. Dawnbringer

Dawnbringer Chieftain

20. Funak

Funak Chieftain

Don't do it for me, do it for love and for science.