Call to Service - Chief Justice

Strider said:
Well... this is fun.

First thing I'm doing when we get a working Judiciary, launch a JR on how the hell we can burn the code of laws. In other words, find out what is needed to replace the entire thing ;).

Afterwords, we can have a ceremony.

Thank you for correcting yourself on which part needs fixed. ;)

The same solution can be applied here as was available in DG6 but never successfully used. One only needs final language for a total replacement, and 60% voting yes.

Curufinwe said:
C-doggity or c-dawg or whatever? Is that me? If so, rather good nickname
Yes thats you:goodjob:

Also to answer the Legislative thing. It is only the name of the branch. NO WHERE IN THE CODE OF LAWS IS THE POWER TO DRAFT AND IMPLEMENT LAWS ALLOWED. This is what i was attempting to get at. I think that the Legislative should have it(hence the name), but it does not currently have it. The President, the Cheif Executive has it by way of that clause. I think that by exploiting this once, we can set things right. Thats what i was saying.

Also, I as the Censor, took this upon myself, because i you said, i needed to guide this through the process.

I also think that we should have a poll(since we i guess are not accepting the validity of Nobodies appointment) and have the citiziens assembly decide who the CJ should be. This would go over the 72 hour thing, and allow Chill to pick the citiziens vote.

Also was Alpha permabanned? Or can we bring him back.....

Interesting argument, but I still maintain that since the citizens' assembly is comprised of the people it could declare what was needed, but your interpretation seems to be rational, since all residuary powers reside in the presidency. Really, both arguments could be correct, so perhaps it would be best to say that the two bodies hold the concurrently, with the Presidency free to act where the people do not.

To further support my argument, i point out that the code of laws says that the CA may only decide: Declare War/Make Peace/Alliance, to change civics, to begin construction on a Great Wonder/National Wonder/Project, a change in Taxes (the science/treasury/culture meter) greater that 10% more than once every 10 turns, and where to build new cities.

No, it reserves those to the sole discretion of the people, to the exclusion of all others. In that sub-section it further says that "The Executive Branch must enforce a vote of the Citizens Assembly even if they disagree with the decision." Implying that a declaration by the people will bind the executive, presumably including the Presidency's residuary authority.

Its the 9th today, if we wait 72 hours extra from now it is the 12th. But it will probably be atleast a day from now before the new 72 hours begin and then atleast a day after the 72 hours to decided who gets the job. hald way into the term.

We should of just had a snap election

Swissempire said:
Also to answer the Legislative thing. It is only the name of the branch. NO WHERE IN THE CODE OF LAWS IS THE POWER TO DRAFT AND IMPLEMENT LAWS ALLOWED.

Hint - Section 10.B.1, first sentence.

-- Ravensfire

Nobody said:
But when i was apointed by cheiftess, there was a argument that it legal so i was going to take up the position but then "recuse" myself and let a JR say if my apiontment was legal. But you would have none of it.

Who decideds if a apointment was legal enough to get a chance to have a judical review of whenever or not it was legal??? It seems you do

Didn't realize I had so much power. ;)

I opposed your appointment because Chieftess did not put a call out and wait 72 hours before appointing you. For those of you not paying attention that's the same reason I've been saying Chillaxation's appointment will not be legal (unless he puts forward a new call and actually waits out the 72 hours without discouraging applications). If we throw our hands up and say, *hey, we don't really have to wait 72 hours* then what makes CT's appointment illegal? Now we have to start talking about if and when the SoS can assume presidential powers. Looks like either way we're headed for a judicial review of whether whatever CJ takes the bench is actually entitled to take the bench. :crazyeye:

Since this term started out with innovate ideas let me run a couple up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes:

1) Why don't the two judiciary members who were actually elected do something? One can grab the bench, the other can get the gavel they can set up shop and we can have a JR party. [party]

2) Why don't we pass a specific law right here and now to get us out of this mess? Something along the lines of A special election is to be held to fill the position of CJ for the remainder of term three. Nominations are open to any citizen, wil begin on ____ and end on ____. The election poll will begin on ____ and end on ____. Probably should put something in there about this temporarily over riding section 8 so as to avoid conflicts. :hmm: Oh wait, can the assembly even pass any laws since we don't have a judiciary to review proposed laws nor a CJ to post the poll?

3) Let's just leave the CJ post unfilled and elect a judiciary next term to sort this all out. We got through term two without a judiciary, can't we do the same again? (Yeah, I know we had a judiciary last term but we didn't do anything. Might as well not had been one.)

Or how about a goverment offical keeps the title until the next offical is elected/appionted. It isnt like when all the controversy happened in the american election that bill clinton just stood down the day of the election. He was president until all the court crap was done. This would have solved all of the problems

Nobody said:
Or how about a goverment offical keeps the title until the next offical is elected/appionted. It isnt like when all the controversy happened in the american election that bill clinton just stood down the day of the election. He was president until all the court crap was done. This would have solved all of the problems

Not quite - the US has a fair amount of time between the election and the assumption of office. In the case of the President, the popular election is on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November and the electoral vote is the first Monday after the second Wednesday. That's over a month of time to resolve disputes.

The easiest solution, of course, is for our citizens to run for office, and not allow an office to remain empty. That's the true travesty here.

-- Ravensfire

Swissempire said:
Also was Alpha permabanned? Or can we bring him back.....

he wasnt perma banned you can tell that much because he still has a profile and from what i remember when someone is perma banned you can no longer click on their profile like 'stalla converter' but anyways what use would there be in bringing him back.

he wasnt perma banned you can tell that much because he still has a profile and from what i remember when someone is perma banned you can no longer click on their profile like 'stalla converter' but anyways what use would there be in bringing him back.

What did he do?

ravensfire said:
Hint - Section 10.B.1, first sentence.

-- Ravensfire

I don't get it, that only says I. A Citizen posts an idea about the amendment as a thread.

My ideas were a solution to the problem we have here. I'm talking about the power to legislate in my posts, not to amend the code of laws, but to pass a law(which is allowed and specified in the constitioin). Laws regulate things and allows things with out having to be amendments.

I still can find nothing giving that power to anyone, so its the presidents by the code of laws. If someone can show me that it is given, then i'll beleive them, but saying that the name is legislative doesn't mean anything. We could call it the "8 gold" branch, and that would neither make it 8 gold, or chnage what it does.

Nobody:

Alpha made I think, it was 12 accounts and operated them.
But he has done his time, his accounts are gone, and i think it would be in the best interest of the demogame if he were back.

Alpha made I think, it was 12 accounts and operated them.
But he has done his time, his accounts are gone, and i think it would be in the best interest of the demogame if he were back.

LOL That old dog, he was a corlone after all. Mr didn't want his good name tared with La Cosa Nostra goes and breaks the rules apart. Ever wonder why this stupid code of laws got in? Because we bloodywell voted 12 times. Alpha Wolf was the corrupted one our of us all, *salute Alpha wolf*

Nobody said:
What did he do?

hush hush and all that ;), suspicion of him creating numerous DL's to rig votes in elections which was surprising seeing as he had no need too, the fact that he hasnt returned to answer questions led everyone to believe that it must have been him.

SwissEmpire - you're talking about the "lower forms of law", right?

First, the Code of Laws IS a lower form of law.

I think, however, you're talking more about the "laws" that you see passed by most governments - Patriot Act, for example. Personally - that's a initiative by another name. Initiatives can be done by any citizen, so I'm not seeing the problem. You call it a law, I call it an initiative. I don't see a problem.

-- Ravensfire

I know we're having trouble generating widespread interest in the demogame, but surely we don't need Alphawolf's 12 personalities back just to boost the numbers! :mischief:

So... yeah. It's been 72 hours, do we have a Chief Justice yet, or is a new thread going to be posted?

I see no real reason to post a new one, we have 3 (that I can think of) candidates. I say it's time to einey meeney miney moe them.

ravensfire said:
SwissEmpire - you're talking about the "lower forms of law", right?

First, the Code of Laws IS a lower form of law.

I think, however, you're talking more about the "laws" that you see passed by most governments - Patriot Act, for example. Personally - that's a initiative by another name. Initiatives can be done by any citizen, so I'm not seeing the problem. You call it a law, I call it an initiative. I don't see a problem.

-- Ravensfire

Thank you Ravensfire, you were right. I just looked right past intiative. Cool, thanks!

Swissempire said:
Thank you Ravensfire, you were right. I just looked right past intiative. Cool, thanks!
No problem - glad this was an easy question!

-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom