1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all Let's Play creators, readers and viewers!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by MadDjinn, Nov 29, 2011.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Calling all Let's Play creators, readers and viewers!​

The Content Staff would like to get your feedback on the following proposed changes to the Civ 5 forums (to take effect in approximately one week):

We want to give Let's Plays a more permanent place in the forums, and help out with the organization of them for the viewers.

So we're proposing to rename the 'Stories & Tales' section to the new 'Stories & Let's Plays'. At the same time, we'll adjust the description to: "Homer's odyssey, or War & Peace? Share your Civ5 stories and videos."
    - Succession Games will remain in the sub forums as per usual

We will also be creating new Prefixes for threads (usable anywhere in the forums - for Civ 4/3/etc LPs) to help people know what they're looking at, before they open the threads. Posters will need to choose the prefix when they start a thread (mods can help you with this if you pick the wrong one).

VidLP - For Youtube/other video service LPs
    LP - The oldy, but goody, text/screen shot style
    Story - Being Creative is fun!

We will also be posting a sticky thread of common courtesy requirements (modded/not modded, Civ used, difficulty level, and so forth) for the OPs in the threads, explanations of the posting rules, and so forth. Definitely let us know if there's something that should be added/not added to these requirements!

We will want to keep the thread spam down a bit, to allow LPs and stories to be found easily, so we're going to be asking you not to post new threads in that sub-forum unless it's an LP/Story/Video type thread. Each creator will be able to make a 'personal' thread for general discussion and requests unrelated to a specific story/LP.

Once the forum changes have taken place, we'll move over LPs from the other sections of the Civ 5 forums and add the prefixes as needed (authors will need to update their OPs with the basic information). We'll focus on LPs from the .383 patch first, then work our way back a few patches to bring everything over (suggestions for 'how far back' would be nice).

Finally, we'll be moving over and archiving Bibor's work on compiling the YouTube LP channels. It will still be viewable, but we're looking to have the forum work as that archive in the long run.

So let us know (here) what you think about these potential changes, as well as any adjustments/ideas you would like to contribute!

2. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Warlord

+1 ^^

3. Optional

Optional Deity

Let's Plays are a fairly new phenomenon, only logical to create a new entry in the forums for this. Just go ahead. :goodjob:

4. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

A great idea!

5. FornaxTorak

FornaxTorak Chieftain

A very good idea. How far back? - all the way baby! :)

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Thanks for the feedback :)

Is there anything specific you'd like to see in the OPs of LPs (heh) to help with understanding what setup they had?

7. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

all the way back :crazyeye:

I'm wondering if we should cut off the archiving at some patch point, given the radical changes to the game over the patches. At some point, with early patches, you wouldn't be able to utilize anything found in the LP due to it being way too outdated.

8. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

I would prefer that you put them under tips...

It seems that they fit better there, at least to me.

9. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

Perhaps an archive sticky for the threads as they become 'old patch'?

10. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

Identify the game style or victory condition in the title... Culture/Domination/Diplo etc.

11. w a i n y

w a i n y Let's Play Deity!

I like the idea of putting all LPs in a central location, but I'm concerned that people might not know to check in a separate forum, especially newer members. It might be a good idea to put a stickied thread at the top of the general discussions and strategy forums. Alternatively, there could be a link from the subforums section (though I'm not sure if it's technically possible to make something a subforum of multiple threads).

12. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

We'll communicate the changes. A sticky redirect in both of those sections might be useful for a few weeks or so. After that, we shouldn't need to worry about it (else the Hof and GoTM groups would also want/need to have those links, and everything would get messy, especially when you add the other groups).

Part of the reason for the name change to S&LP is to make it very clear what is in there.

Of course, there is potential for people to not read the whole index, but that's another issue. We've had a small discussion on that, but it'll be unrelated to this change.

13. JDR

JDR Chieftain

For information purposes;

I can understand why you would want to do this and I like watching the LP vids, but Strategy and Tips is the only section of the forum I ever visit. I can't see myself going to a stories section of the forum just to look for new LPs, so I'll likely just end up not watching any new creators beyond the ones I currently know.

I may be very unique in this or my usage type may be very common. Just thought I'd share the info.

14. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I am also against moving existing threads out of Strategy & Tips.

If the author feels that their game has Strategy & Tips value, let them post here.

15. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

I agree with JDR and Dave. I find a LP fits the Strategy & Tips department, because that's what they ultimately are.

Tbh, the Stories & Tales (or LPs as it is to be renamed) has a sort of a fictitious feeling to it. "Hey I am making up a story, I am telling a tale". Which is fun in its own respect, but it is not a "Let's Play", which - for me at least - has always had the background of teaching/showcasing strategies.

I have not created an LP yet, so I am not sure if I am entitled to an opinion though.

16. Optional

Optional Deity

Hey, Succession Games have a huge Strategy & Tips value as well. You learn from joining a game and exchanging ideas with your team mates about how to do things. So many players I've seen make a huge jump in level because they joined a Succession Game. It's something that you recommend to players that want to improve.

I've never seen anybody complain about Succession Games having their own entry, it's been like that for ages.

There will always be forum members that will only ever visit one section of the forums, that's them. I have a feeling a large section of the forum also never visits the 'Quick Questions & Answers', but that's not a reason to lump everything together. You can pick up a lot of strategy and tips in 'Quick Questions' also, by the way.

Things have been seperated because of different formats.

17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I think the LPs have rather been placed here, because a really fitting section was missing, but not because they are meant as strategic advice.

18. vanjito

vanjito Warlord

LP's definitely fit in stories and tales because of their length.

Sure, one can gather a lot of tips from a story but tips are short and LP's are not.

19. FornaxTorak

FornaxTorak Chieftain

Yeah, a part of me agrees with you. Still its nice to have some sort of library or archive to go back and see the early startup of civ5. Make it a historylesson of Civ5.

There is alot of education in those vids as well; unit movement especially. But with both RAs, SPs and techtree adjusted it should be marked as outdated or something.

20. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

If you like to watch them, would it really be that hard to go to another part of the forum? :confused:

The point isn't that they don't have that value. the point is to use that value and let them sit in their own area dedicated to them so that they are highlighted. Just like the succession games (+HoF +GotM +mods +...).

As long as you read/watch LPs, or make them, your opinion counts :goodjob: