1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I'd've put this in humour and jokes if it weren't for the fact that it's sadly real.

http://boycott-thor.com/

They are upset that a guy, who never existed and thus never had a race or a face, is being played by a black guy. Ignoring for a moment that CCC is considered a hate group, is there any reason to be upset over this?

2. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

Would they cast Dolph Lundgren to play Haile Selassie?

3. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Uh, it's not that hard to believe. I mean, hercules's cousin is Purple, and considering that the Celestials created all of the eternals, as well as deviants and normals, of course that's getting into the always akward connection of the Eternals to the Asgardians.
    At any rate, it's no more offensive then them casting a white guy to play Loki.

4. emzie

We're talking about people who never existed?

5. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

I think you have fail to understand Marvel Comics. In the Marvel Universe, the first Thor was a disabled medical student who later discovered the Mjolnir, thus transforming himself into the Thor in Marvel way of merging the mythology of Norse legends with a superhero twist.

So it is plausible in Marvel Universe to cast a black human character with the power of Thor. Not much different as having Rodney Rhodes being Iron Man for a time, and then later War Machine as an example.

6. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Well, if you read the comics you'd know that "Thor" isn't really Thor, but rather a mild mannered dude that discovers Thor's Hammer in a cave while on vacation in Scandinavia. The hammer then imbues the man with the powers and responsibilities of Thor. Therefore, as with, for example, The Green Lantern, Thor can technically be any race Marvell bloody well chooses.

7. emzie

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

No, that's a common Misconception. Doctor Donald Blake and Thor are and always have been two seperate entities. Originally when he found the hammer and him were merged into a single body and mind. This was because Odin thought Thor was getting a bit arrogant and wanted to stick him with being partially mortal for a bit. Most of the time since then, he has a Captain Marvel (SHAZAM! Captain Marvel mind you) effect where Doctor Blake is transposed and replaced by Thor, while residing in an alternate dimension, presumably hanging out with the Living Laser's body and Captain Marvel (Not-SHAZAM! Captain Marvel).

9. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I should note that the black guy is Heimdall, not Thor. Thor being some blonde guy.

Anthony Hopkins is Odin! :crazyeye:

10. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

I don't think Scandinavians from 1,000 years ago felt a lot of pressure for interracial inclusiveness in their religion.

11. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I don't think Marvel Comics has ever given a damn about what Norse Pagans thought about their writing, but I think they would probably object to Dr. Doom vivesectioning their gods more then depicting one of a different skin tone.

12. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Mind you that they weren't two seperate entities. Donald Blake alter-ego is Thor, meaning they are both of the same person. The same archetypal comic heroes as the likes of Superman/Clark Kent, Batman/Bruce Wayne, Spiderman/Peter Parker, and many others.

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

That's precisely what they are. Thor has lived for Thousands of years before Donald Blake and has had face to face conversations with Donald Blake.

14. emzie

And that matters for what? Is the film supposed to be historically accurate? Is it the retelling of Norse mythology?

For some reason I doubt you have any of the same concerns with every Jesus you see being some European white guy with long straight hair.

15. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Those are memories. In a sense they weren't a direct result of some kind of a dual personality within Blake's Mind, but memories implanted into Blake's Mind that sometimes lead Blake confronting it as it is actually Thor's Mind.

16. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

If they were trying to represent actual Norse mythology it would be stupid. My understanding is that they're basing it off a comic book series that loosely follows it.

Kind of like the movie 300.

17. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I wonder, what race would be acceptable for the casting of Beta Ray Bill? Or MODOK?

18. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I gave up reading comics years ago because of the annoying "progressive" commentaries and agendas they pushed.

No. This is such an idiotic thing to get angry over. It's a freaking comic book character.

19. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

The usual token black guy in american movies.

20. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Most comic book series adapted for the screen pretty much get gutted, and rarely show anything remotely close to what people see in the movies.

I seen the preview a few days ago when I at the movies to see Tron. And my impression so far is that there isn't anything about David Blake, or any scenes where he works in a hospital.