1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Well, I will see the movie as I usually enjoy movies based on Marvel comics. I will simply have to suspend my belief of their being a black norse God just like I had to in realizing that the token black guy in the original Ironman wasnt the same token black guy in Ironman II. :lol:

2. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I'm confused as to why this dumb site is launching now. The film's been in post-production for five months. We knew about casting almost a year ago.

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Rasists tend to be behind the times, especially considering that their clocks are only right twice a day.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Still, different token black characters isn't as bad as the movie being pushed back three friggen years. (There were plans to make a new Dune movie that was to come out in 2011, imdb says it is not planning to be released in 2014.)

5. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

On an unrelated note; why is Thor not being released on a Thursday? Someone's missed a trick there...

6. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

The movie is about the actual entities that the Norse based their deities on in the Marvel Universe, so the experience of actual Norsemen isn't really relevant. While the casting move isn't really true to the comics, Heimdall's race was never really an important aspect of his character, and his face is usually obscured by his bigass helmet anyway. Idris Elba is a fantastic actor, so if nothing else these rasists have generated plenty of free publicity for the fact that he's in the movie.

7. Incodcito

Incodcito King

Funny how these people don't complain when a white guy plays Jesus, Moses, and other characters in the bible...

8. madviking

madviking north american scum

madviking heartily disapproves of non-Vikings protraying Vikings.

9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The Norse gods are not vikings. They were worshiped by vikings.

10. Beardy Dan

Beardy Dan Warlord

Umm District 9 did that a while ago and I'm sure there have been others.

Link to video.

As for Heimdall being played by a black guy, its a little weird but so was a female starbuck. It does seem a little tokenish though as he's the only black guy in the trailer.

For extra comic effect from the Wikipedia article on Heimdall:
    Got to wonder if that's deliberate.

11. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

QUESTION! Is Thor himself gonna be black, or is it just going to be his alter-ego?

Ten bucks says it's not going to be anywhere near as these people are making it out to be, and the series won't be ruined forever. On the whole Marvell has been on a role recently, I see no reason to doubt that this movie will be any different.

JUST SO LONG AS THEY DON'T TAINT MY BELOVED CAPT. AMERICA! :O

12. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Neither. Thor and his alter ego - or whatever the hell you want to call Blake - will both be white. The Norse deity that will be portrayed by a black guy is Heimdall.

13. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

This is even worse then the people who complained that James Bond had blood hair in the last 2 movies. I personally think Daniel Craig did very well in the portrayal of Bond.

14. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

So...what's the big deal then? I mean I understand that it's rather unorthodox, but that doesn't mean it's going to be RUINED FOREVER!!!11! :mad:

Also, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Nick Fury is played by Samuel L. Jackson. Even DC has done it; in the Justice League cartoons, I seem to recall The Green Lantern being a black dude (although that one is a rather easy explanation)

15. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

You have to understand that these are white supremacists. It doesn't have to make sense. While Thor being black would seem a bit stupid, a character who likely won't have very much screentime shouldn't matter too much in terms of racelifting.

To be fair, those both had some grounding in the comics. The Ultimate Universe Nick Fury was based on Samuel Jackson, and the Green Lantern was based on Jon Staurt, who was black, as opposed to the more famous and more pasty Hal Jordan. None of the characters in the Green Lantern legacy had any personality, so it didn't matter that much.

16. Clement

Clement Layman

That what Jesus look like? i think it's a beautiful face.

17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I watched a stage performance of Romeo & Juliet which cast a black man as Romeo. One reviewer suggested that this hinted at racism being the cause of the families' feud.

Personally, I'd happily see Othello as a white man, but then he would probably have to be amongst a cast of blacks, Asians and Hispanics instead.

18. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

If this was a result of colourblind casting I won't mind, but if they only did it to make it look like they don't discriminate I find the whole thing a bit pathetic. It's great they include black actors, but I think they should be hired for other reasons than just to make the producers look less racist. Like their acting abilities.

19. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

Why isn't anyone upset that these Norse gods are going to be speaking English and not old Norse?

Didn't Billy Dee Williams play a character in Batman that was white in the comics? Also I think Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Clarke Duncan also portrayed comic book characters who were white. I don't care because there's zero chance I'll ever see this movie anyways.

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I could suggest a reason relating to Amero-centrism and hating subtitles, but I think I'll hold off. :)