1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

Don't you see anything wrong about the fact that a god who is described as "the whitest" is being cast as a black?

Your idea that a non-existent character doesn't have a race or face is patently absurd. Fictional characters have races, even if they do not possess existence. And all sense dictates that the god was white. There is a tradition of depicting the Norse gods, and they don't include blacks. Further, it's the mythos of a very white people, the Norsemen, and their description of their gods presumes that they are white. This is obvious enough that it did not have to be stated, for exactly the same reason that it is taken for granted that the mythos of a black tribe will have a racially black god (if humanoid and of a race not explicitly specified).

I don't like screwing with art for the sake of minority-appeasement, and I despise this craven behaviour by the film-makers.

EDIT: It appears that this is based on a comic. Note that unless the comic explicitly makes the god black through some contrived back-story, it's still appalling to make so.

2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I don't think they would've cared for Thor teaming up with Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk to battle Dr. Doom. The ship has long sailed on pissing off the Norse. ;)

Well, technically, he was the "fairest", not the whitest- it was a reference to hair colour and complexion, not ethnicity, these myths originating long before there was any such consensus on racial descriptors. Which, of course, wouldn't be all that relevant, except that Thor, a deity described as being a red haired man of ruddy complexion, is depicted as being blonde and evenly tanned, so they're clearly giving only the briefest nod to such details as it is.

Besides, the choice of Heimdall makes me think that this was a certain intentional irony to all this, especially when you remember that, at Ragnarok, specifically dies last. ;)

3. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

:eek: No! Could it be that Hollywood is breaking it's timeless rule?

4. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

THIS. IS. AWESOME.!!! For a year now my friend (who looks just like what you would think a skinny thor would look like) has been saying he wished he know about the movie, he would of buffed up and got the part.

Now I get to tell him " No, your white ass wouldn't have"

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

No, it's a composite of facial reconstructions based on the mortal remains of Jewish dudes from around the time period during which Jesus is supposed to have hung around in Galilee. It bears the same resemblance to Jesus' face as this face bears to any given modern white woman.

6. Tacitusitis

Tacitusitis King

What about when Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan!

7. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Oh...some obviously do...just no one usually pays them any attention...

8. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Quite. We should do that here, too.

9. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Americans that nicked the Enigma device.
    Commodus was seen in quite a high regard by the Senate at that time, for 13 years.
    No mammoth was ever used for building pyramids.
    And the Battle of Guilford? Sorry Mel, but you guys actually lost that one.

And finally, 2001, a Space Odyssey. Instead of Dave we got Windows. So yeah, great going guys.

10. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Patrick Stewart famously played Othello with an otherwise all black cast.

When I just looked up Hiemdall on wikipedia I saw that the Eddas call him The White God (hvíta ás) and the whitest of the god, which makes this casting more unusual. I don't know that the mythology specifically addresses the skin color of the other deities though. It might have been interesting to see him as the only white guy among otherwise all black Norse gods. I suppose I can just imagine that they are copying Patrick Stewart in this though.

11. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

:D

Edit: though, I didn't know Heimdall was the 'white god'. It would be totally cool if they shot him in negative film, and made the image truly white.

12. Tacitusitis

Tacitusitis King

There's also this. I know it was a terrible movie but even if it had been a good movie...

Hollywood mixing up the races of adaptations is seriously nothing new, but we're supposed to be offended because they made Thor black?

13. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Well done, racists! Previously, I would never have considered going to see such a film (Hollywood does Marvel superheroes yet again? bleh). But having investigated it a little as a result of your ridiculous campaign, I'd say it actually sounds rather entertaining. :goodjob:

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That's my guide for seeing interesting films. If the "moral authority" starts sounding off about it, it's probably a decent enough film. :)

15. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

Maybe they actually tried to cast a Norse god, but having to settle for a human didn't really pay much attention to the skin colour. Do gods have ethnicity? Why does anyone care?

16. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

This film is art and only a minority seem to seek appeasement by replacing the actor.

17. MobBoss

Art? Only if you squint really hard. Its entertainment, sure, but I don't know I would really call it art.

18. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Surely the decision to cast a black actor in this film is influencing what little of the senses, emotions, and intellect that some people have here.

19. MobBoss

I think it being deliberate kind of an assumption here....

20. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

One time there was a Horse Thor.

"Art" is a matter of opinion. Everything creative is "art" because "art" is an arbitrary term that means nothing.