1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

This isn't a religious thread, so I'm not going to comment on whether or not the Norse gods actually existed, but it's pretty clear that the Norse gods as envisioned by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby (who were Jews, in case any Neonazi scum happens to be reading this) are entirely fictional characters, with only lose resemblance to whatever "real thing" there might be.

2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Nor would you need to, of course- paganism is essentially animistic, and so Thor is, fundamentally, the spirit of thunder itself, rather than a walking, talking superbeing. Norse mythology, like most mythology, does not demand factual accuracy to be of use or relevance to adherents, presenting an expression of the Norse perception of the word as much as any attempt at literal record. Thor-the-red-headed-hammerer is a anthropomorphic personification of a force of nature, rather than a standalone character. As such, the proof for Norse neo-pagans of Thor's existence is the simple fact of thunder; all else is ultimately a matter of individual belief.

3. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I thought we had Crusaded your butts into dust in the 8th century! :mad:

I guess we're gonna have to do this again... :evil:

4. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

what

5. Yared

Yared That Guy

Take it easy. Chill to some good music:

Link to video.

Which sources? :D

Doesn't white mean "hvítr" and god "áss"?

6. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

The Movie Industry has a history of confusing racial groups in it's pictures. In the old days of silent movies and the early "Talkies" white people donned faceblack to act as negroes (ie., Amos and Andy) until the advent of Black Cinema. White men have frequently played Indians or Chinese in Westerns. A white actor, Warner Oland, played Chinese detective Charley Chan, though the bit parts went to real Chinese Los Angelenos. My favorite - John Wayne as Gengis Khan in The Conqueror. I suspect it had to do with the actor's union back then. But even in modern times, this practice continues. Remember Carl Anderson playing Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar? Or Jeff Goldblum and Julianne Moore having a black daughter in The Lost World? Or all the Japanese women's roles played by Chinese actresses in Memoirs of a Geisha?

So why not a Black actor in Thor? As long as he's a good actor.

7. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

Classic logic fallacy: Argument of the Beard. :crazyeye:

8. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I don't think it calls for a boycott, but it is kinda weird to have Thor be black, especially if Odin and the rest of the Norse gods were white. I don't care that much, though. It was weird too when Goku was white in that one movie.

EDIT: oh wait, this is a superhero that's not actually the real Thor? :p just read the first page. It's not really unrealistic at all, then.

9. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Submitted for approval are the following characters who are possible choices for a second thor movie or the avengers, so those of you who have an issue with Heimdal's reincarnation after the last Ragnorok can have your views taken into consideration.

Thanos, The Mad Titan.
    Mikaboshi, the end that was before all.
    The Executioner.
    Galactus, Devourer of Worlds.
    Molecule Man.
    Dormammu, ruler of the Dark Dimension.
    Mephisto, fullfiller of executive decisions.

We would not want to pander to minorities, so we want to hear your opinion.

10. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

I have to say that it's nice to see somebody else who knows who all of those people are.

11. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

MarvelComics4life