Camels Invent Things: A Portugal Photojournal

I should have guessed because you said you didn't use Rationalism :O
Btw why not Rationalism? Not saying it is wrong, for me Industry is usually a default choice for Diplo cause you need that extra gold and production. But in your particular case you may take Rationalism because you already dominate all City-States and you want to get to Atomic Theory ASAP to unlock UN...
I think Rationalism is a bad policy tree currently.

It gives a lot of +% to science, which won't affect my trade routes anyways. Industry's +2 trade routes alone give me 80 science from UA, and even more science and culture for the trade route itself. Though honestly imperialism would probably have been better. I am building everything really quickly so I didn't really need industry, I settled two cities with pioneers and they have basically caught up to my other ones.

I can try Tradition Venice, i did it in the past and despite the fact i didn't win it was one of my mo0st powerful Tourism games. I should have won on turn 268 (which should have been my record), but those asses sanctioned me and i lost 20 traderoutes that were targeting the only civ that i wasn influential with!

If Tradition France into later warring is a choice, that would be fun. I don't think I'd be picking Rationalism with that tho. So if not, I vote for anybody-but-Arabia.

I think Rationalism is a bad policy tree currently.

It gives a lot of +% to science, which won't affect my trade routes anyways. Industry's +2 trade routes alone give me 80 science from UA, and even more science and culture for the trade route itself. Though honestly imperialism would probably have been better. I am building everything really quickly so I didn't really need industry, I settled two cities with pioneers and they have basically caught up to my other ones.

Define bad, though - objectively bad or bad for your current game? It performs well for the AI.

G

I'll throw in another vote for Tradition Korea. I am playing one right now, and just watching your turn numbers and what you are building.....your cities seem to have so many more hammers than mine do. I'm curious is that is progress vs tradition or other aspects of your land....or just the raw diety level optimization that puts my poor efforts to shame!

Define bad, though - objectively bad or bad for your current game? It performs well for the AI.

G
:c5science: causes :c5angry:
:c5food: causes :c5angry:

I have more :c5science: and :c5food: than anyone else, so I have the most :c5angry:.
Maybe I could build stuff to deal with the :c5angry:, except I have no :c5production: and no :c5gold: to use on buildings. I'm unlocking research labs, but I haven't built stock exchanges, hospitals, museums or military academies yet. My :c5gold: and :c5production: are barely enough to keep a somewhat modern military running, in a time period where the AI loves to fight. Science victories come so late, you have to stay afloat both in military and in :c5angry: until it happens.

Industry and imperialism both have pretty good science anyways, I just don't see the benefit to making infrastructure and military so hard to acquire.

Last edited:
:c5science: causes :c5angry:
:c5food: causes :c5angry:

I have more :c5science: and :c5food: than anyone else, so I have the most :c5angry:.
Maybe I could build stuff to deal with the :c5angry:, except I have no :c5production: and no :c5gold: to use on buildings. I'm unlocking research labs, but I haven't built stock exchanges, hospitals, museums or military academies yet. My :c5gold: and :c5production: are barely enough to keep a somewhat modern military running, in a time period where the AI loves to fight. Science victories come so late, you have to stay afloat both in military and in :c5angry: until it happens.

Industry and imperialism both have pretty good science anyways, I just don't see the benefit to making infrastructure and military so hard to acquire.

I think its also good to note that no other policy tree has one of its main advantages shut off when you go unhappy. I still think that should be removed, it is a vestige from vanilla....and one that is absolutely not needed for balance.

I didn't understand what you are trying to say .

(rationalism provides too science/food which create unhappiness and there isn't enough hammer or gold to sustain an army and the buildings to fight the unhappiness) ?
Pretty much. (I may have written this response after a few drinks)
I think its also good to note that no other policy tree has one of its main advantages shut off when you go unhappy. I still think that should be removed, it is a vestige from vanilla....and one that is absolutely not needed for balance.
Exactly. It has the worst happiness and punishes you for being unhappy.

+1 to Rationalism currently being quite bad compared to Industry and Imperialism due to the reasons mentioned in this thread.

I've heard repeatedly how Austria mid-game and late-game is extremely powerful, and how Austria is best played Authority/Progress, not Tradition, so I'd vote against Austria for this playthrough.

Venice is so unique that it wouldn't give a good general tutorial on how to play Tradition.

Arabia is the ultimate Tradition civ, so again it wouldn't be a good general Tradition tutorial.

France is best suited for Authority/Progress and later Imperialism, whereas CrazyG said he wants to go Tradition/Artistry/Rationalism. Plus France does have quite strong warfare bonuses, whereas I'm interested in how to survive&thrive in a Tradition game without warfare bonuses/strong early/mid UU.

I'd love Korea against an early strong&aggressive AI neighbour, with the rest of the AI including at least one strong science civ (perhaps Babylon) and one strong culture/tourism Tradition/Artistry civ (perhaps Arabia).

Last edited:
I personally would like to see a Brazil run, since I play this civ a lot and want to improve. Fits tradition/artistry/X well, and can work with one of the recently buffed pantheons.

I'd love Korea against an early strong&aggressive AI neighbour, with the rest of the AI including at least one strong science civ (perhaps Babylon) and one strong culture/tourism Tradition/Artistry civ (perhaps Arabia).
I was going to just do a random continents or pangea. I don't know to make one neighbor an aggressive civ and I don't want to reroll starts until it happens.

So this Portugal game really is just click next turn until the UN unlocks. Russia tried to war me, but its caravels versus cruisers.

Looking at the next game, I will try Korea if he is popular choice. Be warned, I don't like Scholars of the Jade Hall, like at all. Its probably the worst unique ability, unless you count Venice. I'll do my best to win and try not to be biased against him.
your cities seem to have so many more hammers than mine do.
Its because I'm investing in about 9 out of every 10 buildings that I build. The Portugese Unique Ability is extremely good. My capital also earns 56 hammers every turn from trade routes to city states with Feitoria. I also earn 280 culture per turn for trade routes with city states.

I understand. Maybe you can make the (early) game more difficult for yourself by manually selecting more aggressive/expansionist AI civs? Thanks in any case!

Looking at the next game, I will try Korea if he is popular choice. Be warned, I don't like Scholars of the Jade Hall, like at all. Its probably the worst unique ability, unless you count Venice. I'll do my best to win and try not to be biased against him.
Whats wrong with him? I haven't played him for more than a year, but on paper he seemed pretty good and easy to execute....
I think i need to do a Venice journal, cause Venice is pretty damn strong! If everything goes well it seems OP.
Its because I'm investing in about 9 out of every 10 buildings that I build. The Portugese Unique Ability is extremely good. My capital also earns 56 hammers every turn from trade routes to city states with Feitoria. I also earn 280 culture per turn for trade routes with city states.
Also Portugal was buffed some time ago to have +5 per turn from Trade Routes instead of +4. I personally think this was not needed...

Last edited:
Also since i haven't started - i have two options for Venice:
Tradition>>Tourism and Authority>>Diplo/Science depending on situation.
Those are two very different approaches feel free to ask

Whats wrong with him? I haven't played him for more than a year, but on paper he seemed pretty good and easy to execute....
I think i need to do a Venice journal, cause Venice is pretty damn strong! If everything goes well it seems OP.
See the Korea thread

Do you feel that you gained too much science from your TRs?
Yes, I feel like I had too much gold and admiral points as well. I distinctly remember doing the math when it was at 4, and you earn more science than Korea ever will until the industrial era (even without Petra or Colossus).

Top Bottom