1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera panning freeze

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by Pilotis, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Pilotis

Pilotis Chieftain

When playing 'huge' maps I get occasional/ frequent lock-ups when the camera pans large distances to show me units that can still move. Please can we switch it off while you fix the prob. Ta.

2. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

I'm experiencing the same problem. It is far from occasional for me in the latter stages of the game on a huge map. I've pretty well stopped playing because of this one. The lock up is so tight that I often have to do a hard restart of the system to get out of it. I have the .20 patch and have attached an autosave.

My system is a little behind the times, but I think it meets the minimum specs so I don't know it is the problem. My system has an Intel Core 2 1.86 GHZ process, 4 gigs of ram, an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE with 512 MB of ram. My operating system is Windows XP. I have the latest driver for my video card.

Attached Files:

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Minimum is a 7900, the 7300 LE is under the min. requirements.

4. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

Well maybe that's the problem, but others are reporting this problem too so maybe it's not the problem.

5. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Chieftain

Mine does this as well, but it just lag spike for a while and rarely freezes. There are severzal threads on tne subject. I have found it always happens when it goes to a worker, but not for every worker. The 6 times it happened, it went to a worker every time, except once, when it went to a Great Artist, but it has the ability to build as well. I found deleting some of my workers alleviated the issue, but didn't fix it. I'm at 23 workers and get the lag only during the next turn phase for about 8ish seconds each turn, but doesn't happen during the normal turns.

6. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Chieftain

I have extreme lag while panning the map, and I have a Radeon 4850 on a Phenom 9600 system (4x2.4 GHz system) with 4 GB of RAM. It does this even in strategic view. :/ The camera pan does seem to be buggy.

7. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

Mine has done this when panning to combat units. Moreover, I don't keep a lot of workers around during the game. I usually have 10 or less.

8. Azalnubizar

Azalnubizar Chieftain

I'm experiencing the same problem.

my system specs are:

Processor: Intel 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
    RAM: 3.5 GB
    Video: GeForce GTX 260 896 MB

It hasn't been fixed with patch 62.
    Also it is not the same problem as reported by MarkJohnson as it isn't a very very long lag (I have waited for over 30 minutes) - it seems to be a freeze (also the mouse cursor still works).

I even have regular crashes during diplomacy when playing in full screen, playing in windows-mode removed those.

still looking for a solution...

9. Kaygee

Kaygee Chieftain

This happens to me as well.
    The game has crasehd at turns 396, 430, 440, 441 and 454.

The crash seems to happen when the computer "jumps" me to another unit from another unit to give it orders.

Extremely frustrating bug! The only way I can get out of the whole thing is to hard boot my whole computer. Unacceptable, in my opinion! Didn't they beta test?

10. dlk

dlk Chieftain

I have a huge map with Dale's True Start Location mod. I am at 1,162 turns and as it moves from one location to the next the background does not re-color totally and most of the background stays gray and it freezes..It has been doing that for about the last 20 turns..I have to do a total re-boot. This is a great game if only one could play it.... :( I have run the Steam file verifier and it found one corrupted file and fixed it....BUT, it still doesn't work !!!! I have tried different screen resolutions to no avail. My computer is almost new so, that isn't the problem.

11. zimmah

zimmah Chieftain

my sysytem doesn't freeze, but occasionally it happens that my whole main screen becomes corrupted. i will see nothing but colored stripes and things.

it will become totaly unplayable that way when it happens, and the only way to actually play is switch to strategic view once it happened. and then i have to finish the game in strategic view. (which is really annoying)

12. Azalnubizar

Azalnubizar Chieftain

at least I'm not the only one xperiencing this problem...
    @Zimmah: I believe yours is a different problem that the rest of ours... (might think about opening a different post). I had this problem in other games... have u checked your GPU temperature?

13. nightspydk

nightspydk Chieftain

Just want to chime in here, that these are bugs, not hardware.
    I remember well commodore 64 days and this game is the most bugged I have ever gotten to play. Not counting those that I never got to run.

On a I7 GTX460 6 gigs in triple.

Tired everything on both XP and Windows 7 x64.

Compatability mode. Administrative priviledges. Ingame settings etc etc..
    Even moved on to the more technical solutions. Page files, stratup programs, mobo drivers.

This is an embarrasment and it needs to be fixed or nobody in heir right mind should pay for this even if Sids mark is on it. No pun...

My cents. :)

14. Kaygee

Kaygee Chieftain

I know it won't resolve this issue, but where might one find this Steam file verifier?

15. averagedan

averagedan Chieftain

File verifier - go to your steam library, right click on civ5 and hit properties. Under one of the tabs there's an option to verify the game cache :)

I also have the same prob with huge maps. I posted on the 2K forums and no reply - It's driving me crazy! I paid good money for a game that's broken :(

16. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

Had the same problem, until I updated the driver for my lousy Nvidia card. That fixed the scrolling crash for me. Version 260.99.

Ok, it didn't fix it completely, but I only had two freezes in the time I would have had twenty.

17. Azalnubizar

Azalnubizar Chieftain

I have updated my NVidia drivers to 260.99 now.
    Verified my game files through steam.
    Updated Civ V to 1.0.0.621

and still the camera freezes when moving around.
    Might be it happens a little later but I am not sure.
    ATM huge maps are unplayable and I am back to standard size maps until someone there feels that it might be a good idea to fix this bug.

attached my save file - will freeze within 5 turns of play, probably earlier.
    (uses Shigg's Earth Mod)

Attached Files:

18. tokala

tokala Chieftain

The civ5 graphics engine is a mess, and it has a special dislike for nVidia DX10 chips, it seems.
    Have a GTX260 as well, and for me this tweak was quite helpful in reducing the lagginess when scrolling around, which could in rare cases escalates to a crash. I play with most settings on medium, AA disabled in DX10/11 mode and don't get crashes in full-screen mode, as long as i don't alt-tab. In windowed mode on the other hand, I get occasional crashes.

19. Mac2411

Mac2411 Chieftain

Not really a solution, but since I've started playing standard maps instead of huge I've not had this problem.

20. Kaygee

Kaygee Chieftain

This issue plagued me every two-four turns.
    Ever since I installed the new NVidia driver for my video card, the game hasn't froze in over one hundred turns. Now it just crashes at the same turn, but that's a seperate issue.

..........what a mess. :(