1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron and Asylum Appeals

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Truronian, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

UK politics time!

Did anyone see Cameron on the news earlier talking about his plans to make people appealing asylum cases pay? I can't seem to find anything on it... it's worrying. At lot of asylum seekers win on appeals that they would be unable to make if there was a fee.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Hmm that's pretty bad.

Not as bad as his "Iran has nuclear weapons" gaffe earlier today of course ;)

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

[Disclaimer: This is obviously an internal UK thing and not my business, so not trying to tell you guys what to do here, rather just voicing opinion]

Very disturbing. Asylum seekers are not in any way the same as illegal invaders. If they are truly needing asylum, there's a reason behind it and you shouldn't be shackling them with monetary requirements to request asylum. For one thing, they may have had to flee with nothing but the clothes on their back.

4. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I wonder where these Asylum seekers come from? We don't exactly border any war-torn country.

Are there lives really that difficult that they can afford to reach the UK from Afghanistan/Iraq? Through Turkey, Europe, Calais to get here?

5. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Most asylum seekers spend whatever little money they have on getting to the UK. The reason we're attractive as a country is because we have links to many of the countries already from colonial times, we are a western democracy, we speak English (which many refugees will already know a little) and we have a very diverse society already.

Asylum seekers can come for a number of reasons, not just to escape war.

6. Arwon

Arwon

Who cares? People have a right to seek asylum in a country. The fact that they may have slightly more resources and mobility than the people who don't make it that far matters not a jot.

7. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Are you suggesting that we should discriminate asylum selection based on wealth?

8. Arwon

Arwon

No, that's what Quakers is suggesting. I'm suggesting that we deal with the asylum claims that get made in the country, as per international law. "If they came here they must be rich" is a tricksy way of implying asylum cases aren't genuine and allows a country like Australia or the UK to shirk their responsibilities to accept asylum claims.

9. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Cool, glad to see we're reading from the same page. :)

10. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Not really. It is more of a: "Britain is at war - I'll flee to Ireland or France - not fly around the world to the USA".

11. Imrahil91

Imrahil91 Prince

So they just pay to appeal an already processed asylum request they got declined, but still get the first request for free? Then it's not that bad. A lot of people stay in the country for many years by just appealing, becoming a big drain of money, because they can't really do anything while applying for asylum. Many asylum seekers also don't have any identification, and their home countries are very slow in helping to get that ID. On top of that a lot of people lie about their age, name, country, destroy their finger prints etc. So it can be quite hard and expensive to do a completely fair trial without any prejudices for everyone. There are so many people searching for asylum anyway, so IMO, only the ones who are little doubtful should be let in, and the others sent back fast without wasting years of their lives doing nothing. A fee would make it a little less resource draining for the authorities, but I'm afraid some will get that money in criminal ways if there are no other options.

12. Arwon

Arwon

Show some numbers on the "drain" caused by appeals and processing, or your post is meaningless.

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Ah, this is the appeal not the initial request. Nothing wrong with that.

I get the impression that most people are seeking economic asylum, or in other words not asylum at all.

14. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

It seems he actually said that people applying for visas should be charged for appeals... still not great, but not as bad as what I thought.

15. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

VRWCAgent is now officially the most reasonable right winger on the board.

16. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

That's a good question Quackers. And I can't answer that. I wonder who can?

17. Arwon

Arwon

What is that impression based on?

18. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

A documentery on the camps at Caen.

19. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Eh, maybe the fact that we screwed their country up, and made it impossible for them to live there means we owe them?

20. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

We made them breed like rabbits? Colonalism or no, the simple fact is that many of those countries would still be hell holes regardless. The details might be different, but the reality the same.