Camp NaNoWriMo 2018

I've already been mentally envisioning parts of the story taking place on the Trans-Canada highway between Alberta and British Columbia, so maybe this is some alt-universe where the countries' borders are different.

Reminds me of my South Park fanfic,with Kenny in the role of Dorothy, and Canada as Oz.
Spoiler :
"Following the white on green signs, Kenny hobbled down the Trans-Canadian Highway on his new, ruby slippers. How did women manage to walk in these things?! His feet were killing him; his ankles were killing him; his calves were killing him; his knees were killing him, his thighs were killing him. On the other hand, his butt was quite cute."

^Is that available to read?

Regarding NaNoWriMo... I reached 9379 words last night. I could finish tonight, or more likely tomorrow, and then carry on for a couple thousand more to make sure, since the NaNoWriMo site always cheats me on words.

:yup: It's on FanFiction.com under by nom de plume of Runt Thunderbelch. The title is "We’re Off to See the Wizard (A South Park musical)."
Okay, I'll look it up. :)

As for my NaNoWriMo project, I met and exceeded my target word count yesterday. :D Validation isn't available until April 20, so I'll keep on writing (I plan to to continue on to April 30 anyway, just to see how far I get; it's good practice and discipline for the big competition in November).

And now it's the final weekend. Current word count is 15,002. I am aiming to make it to at least 16,000 by Monday, and hopefully even 17,000 might be doable.

:yup: It's on FanFiction.com under by nom de plume of Runt Thunderbelch. The title is "We’re Off to See the Wizard (A South Park musical)."

I should have warned you: As a South Park fanfic, it's crude, laced with profanity, juvenile, and offensive. It's also anti-Canadian and anti-ecology. Far from my normal writing. :shake:

I haven't read it yet.

Later tonight, after 1 am, my time zone (about 12 hours from now). The final validation has to be done by 11:59 pm, Pacific. I'm in the Mountain time zone, so that gives me an extra hour.

17,000 words is within reach, if I get a move-on this afternoon and evening. I'm close to 16,000 now.

And... DONE! :dance:

I validated about 15 minutes ago, with a word count (by my software) of 18,397 words (I really pushed it tonight - even skipped watching Star Trek! :D). The NaNoWriMo website credits me with 18,258.

I'm not sure if this is my best Camp result, but it's definitely farther than I expected to get.

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement, guys! It really helped. :yup:

Well, it's not science fiction, and it's not fantasy.

I'd describe it as a juvenile/young adult-category fanfic based on a series of computer games I've been playing for the past few years.

It's pretty tame stuff, about a group of park rangers in a fictitious national park in the Rocky Mountains. It's supposedly set in the U.S., but I noticed the people who created it were borrowing shamelessly from some well-known scenes in Canadian national parks, so maybe I'll just hijack it across the border.

Since the last few games have actually had a basic plot, I wanted to see if I could string the rest of them into an actual story of some kind.

It's a different kind of challenge than turning a solo 2nd-person pov D&D-type gamebook into prose. Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger is what's known as a Hidden Object Game, and the 7th installment came out a couple of months ago. That one had a plotline of trying to catch a poacher, so I figured, why not flange up a plot for the whole series?

Inventing new characters and fleshing out the established game characters has been a challenge, and I've been winging it a lot of the time. This project is going to take research, but I'll admit that I'm drawing on my own experiences traveling in the Rockies and the Alberta/British Columbian national parks to describe the setting.

So... as I said, it's really tame, compared to other projects. No humans are going to get killed, nobody's a mage, it's not dystopian space opera, and it's an attempt at a real-world vacation adventure. The biggest challenge is trying to figure out how and why all the hidden objects got scattered around where they are. Why is there a pizza on the roof of the entry to an abandoned mine shaft? Who brings a fancy violin along on a camping trip, and why? What's the reason for part of the park entrance sign being found in a nearby bush? How do the Rangers get around that huge place, to all the different locations, since logistically speaking it's too far to walk the whole way?

In essence, it's a fanfic based on a series of games. But I've played and replayed this series more than once, and felt like trying something different that doesn't require so much prep. Of course I'll be using the time between now and the summer NaNoWriMo to do some more research, and jot down some ideas for characters' personalities and backstories. Haven't decided on whether to include any sort of romantic subplot. I gave the Chief Ranger a wife, but she's never a character in the game, so maybe that will have to do.

Top Bottom