Camp NaNoWriMo: April 2020

So Day #1 is upon us.

I decided to set a goal of 15,000 words. That's not too easy, not too hard, just enough to get me back into the habit of counting my words again. I can do 500 words/day in about half an hour, so that's an easy romp.

Day #1 total: 716 words.

I have a goal of 2000 words (probably a bit low).

Day 1: 258 words.

Day 2: 257 words

Just wondering... have any other participants found their way to the forums on the NaNo site yet? They're a mix of casual writing-related chat, serious help with stories, how-tos for navigating the site itself, and a way to connect with fellow writers from your own geographical areas. We can't have write-ins this year (they usually take place at coffee shops or casual restaurants or libraries), but there are some online events that will be happening.

Someone pointed me to a couple of good reference sites so I can finally give Count Chocula a proper name! :dance:

Day 2: 325 words

I don't interact with my local network at all. I've yet to see anything or anyone of any possible interest. But it seems inactive in general; there's five figures of writers but the actual chat gets a message every couple days. I imagine most are like me and simply ignore it.

UOTE="Synsensa, post: 15721579, member: 104883"]Day 2: 325 words

I don't interact with my local network at all. I've yet to see anything or anyone of any possible interest. But it seems inactive in general; there's five figures of writers but the actual chat gets a message every couple days. I imagine most are like me and simply ignore it.[/QUOTE]
Red Deer doesn't even have an official region. We're lumped in with either Edmonton or Calgary and I occasionally get email addressed to me that starts out, "Dear Wrimosaurs" (an homage to the fact that Alberta is rich in dinosaur fossils). I ignore it, since I don't know of anyone local who's into this. There are probably a few but I've never met any.

Anyone who has posted word count both yesterday and today should have received this badge:

NaNo-Streak-2@2x.png

to indicate that you have a 2-day writing streak (hey, we have to start small and work our way up, right? :D ).

Day 1 total: 716 words.
Day 2 total: 1323 words (total written; I certainly haven't been that ambitious in just one day!

I'm still setting up what I'm actually going to be writing about. It's not what I thought it would be. This is material that has been plotted out in my mind for over a year but not written down into story form. I should do this before I forget what I'd intended with it.

I didn't get the badge. I went to update my count just before midnight but the site glitched on me so I didn't get to update until the day had already passed.

Day 3: 303 word

Day 1 total: 716 words.
Day 2 total: 1323 words.
Day 3 total: 1930 words.

The site is still somewhat buggy; they rolled it out in a hurry last fall and I think a lot of people spent as much time on the support forum complaining about it as they did with their stories.

My dashboard is still pastel on grey, it's still hard to read, and the graph still defaults to that weird thing that makes no sense. It's still nagging me to update how I feel when I'm writing, where I'm writing, how many words per minute I'm writing, and I wish it would just shut up about that.

I received two badges today. The first is for a 3-day writing streak ("a triumphant triumvirate") and for passing the 1,667-word mark (this badge should properly be given in November because that's the number of words per day needed to complete 50,000 words in 30 days).

NaNo-Streak-3@2x.png

The other badge refuses to let itself be saved. It's like a black chalkboard with the number 1,667 on it in white chalk.

Aimee, there are badges you can award yourself, based on how you like to do NaNoWriMo - such as if you like an outline or if you like to just wing it, and there are quite a few others. One that I expect everyone will have is if they're writing at home, rather than attending a write-in. Due to isolation and social distancing, in-person write-ins won't be possible this time.

I was actually able to fix the dates on my Stats page and thus get my badges.

I look at those badges. I....sort of have an outline but its very barebones and only goes ahead a few chapters because I really don't know what's going on.

Day 4: 356 words

Its my Mass Effect fanfic. It changes the ending of the third game. It's kind of hard to explain without spoiling the ending though.

Spoiler Mass Effect 3 spoilers :
Shepard takes the "Control" ending....and immediately tells all the Reapers to self-destruct. She survives the process, but just barely.

There's other stuff going on too, but I'm still trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Not sure how to do this because my medium format that I tend to go with is comics and visual novels. I have been itching to start my little fanfic chop-suie and been just world building.

The problem I have is I am in a roadblock of how to start off my character, let alone getting the story going.

Not sure how to do this because my medium format that I tend to go with is comics and visual novels. I have been itching to start my little fanfic chop-suie and been just world building.

The problem I have is I am in a roadblock of how to start off my character, let alone getting the story going.

Writing guru Michael La Ronn advises: Put a character in a setting with a problem. :think:

e.g. My Ali Baba story:
“Is this the end of Ali Baba and his forty thieves?” sighed the legendary bandit as he paced the Devil Wind’s quarterdeck. His sleek ship was cutting swiftly through the night sea as they headed for the crusaders’ fortress-city of Acre.

Day 1: 258 words
Day 2: 257 words
Day 3: 303 words
Day 4: 423 words

The progress bar thingy is 3/4 full already. Maybe goal 2000 words was a tad too short.

I managed to mix up my days. Here's what the site says.

April 1:
258 words
April 2: 257 words
April 3: 303 words
April 4: 356 words
April 5: 423 words
April 6: 255 words
April 7: 251 words

I exceed 2000 words. Maybe I should've made bigger goal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom