1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Camp NaNoWriMo (July 2018)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Valka D'Ur, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Sunday is both Canada Day and the first day of Camp NaNoWriMo (the July event).

So I will munch on maple fudge and continue on with the story I began in April, about a group of park rangers in a national park that somehow is located both in Washington state and Jasper National Park in Alberta at the same time (due to the developers "borrowing" a photo of Maligne Lake for one of the scenes in the game).

Is anyone else thinking of participating?

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Monday is Canada Day. :p

I won't be participating. I have nothing to write about. Good luck with your story continuation!

3. Valka D'Ur

Thanks.

You could always write about those games you've been buying. After all, that's what I'm doing, except it's only part of one game.

4. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I've had some desire to begin work on a fantasy project and have been reading fantasy works to gain inspiration and figure out what works in the genre. I've yet to read one that I enjoyed, however, so I'm starting to think being involved in the genre as anything more than just an occasional reader is not for me.

I have also had some desire to try writing another Star Wars fanfic to try and regain some semblance of my passion for the franchise but I've been mostly apathetic when I try reading or watching previous material. As for other franchises... I'm not sure I know enough about any of them to write about them.

Most of my writing these past couple months have been entirely business related. But even if I were to just track that instead of fiction, I'd still come out as a loss on the camp word count. I had a "good" month for May and only reached 19k.

5. Valka D'Ur

You can set your own goal in Camp events.

And you don't actually have to write fiction. There used to be an event called Script Frenzy, which was to write a script in 30 days. I tried it once and realized that I'd started out waaaay too ambitious. But some people do use the Camp events for scripts, as the actual event was canceled several years ago (likely due to not enough participants).

So if scripts and poetry are acceptable, why not non-fiction? Part of my Hulzein project a couple of years ago consisted of notes on the general timeline of the series, as preparation to create a wiki. That's when I found out that F.M. Busby couldn't do basic math with his own characters' ages even if they weren't the ones being affected by relativity. The only way to make my fanfic work with his source material is to throw his chronology out the window and start from scratch. I'm getting the impression that he didn't intend for the original experiments with parthenogenesis (the method by which Hulzein women procreate) to take place in the 1940s, but that's what my calculations say.

Synsensa likes this.
  6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Maybe.

Right now I'm aiming to finish Comes Erebus this month. I'm at 7,000+ words and need to get to 20,000 +.
    That's roughly 500 words/day...or 1 page [I rough draft in single-spacing, 12-pt font].
    I think that's doable. :yup:
    Hard science fiction is slow going. :whew: I'm having to invent far-future alien, energy systems, vehicles, weapons, architecture, agriculture, etc...and make it all feasible. However, most of it is already in my head, I hope.

7. Valka D'Ur

Okay, so that's enough to qualify, provided you get your word count submitted and validated by 11:59 PDT July 31.

My average daily word count last time was well over the daily minimum I needed, so I don't think that's a problem.

I just wish they'd move this back to August, because the last thing on my mind on July 1 should be a writing competition.

8. Valka D'Ur

Day 1 almost didn't happen because Open Office was determined to be an <unmentionable>. But I finally did get it working, and managed 511 words.

Everybody's in a staff meeting, and I figured out an in-story solution as to why people are looking for miscellaneous stuff in addition to their normal Ranger duties (this story is based on a Hidden Object game).

9. Valka D'Ur

Day 2 total: 946.

The staff meeting proceeds apace. Now we know the fire index is low, which is a very good thing. I do not want to have to write anything depicting a forest fire.

10. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

My plan isn't working at all. :shake:
    Pushing this forward under a deadline is counterproductive. :badcomp:

11. Valka D'Ur

You have an outline, right?

You set a goal of 500 words/day. That's a normal output for me (though I only got a bit over 400 yesterday... call it a case of not noticing how fast midnight Pacific time was coming up, and I'd gotten involved in a conversation over on the Star Trek forum).

Do you do your writing in a single bloc of time, or do you space it out? I got some done earlier today before going to bed (and slept a lot longer than planned, so that's good). So there's less to worry about now.

The key to making it through this contest is pacing yourself. Some people say, "Oh, I'll catch up on the weekend" and some do, but most don't. They get frustrated and angry with themselves, and give up.

I know what I can easily do every day, and what takes more effort. I push myself to do at least 5000 beyond my Camp target because the main event in November takes 4 times longer each day.

So... if you can do 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there (not sure how many paragraphs you can do in 10 minutes), next thing you know you're much closer to the daily goal than you realize, or you might already have passed it.

12. Valka D'Ur

Day 3 total: 1493 words.

I need to research rockslides and mudslides. Otherwise, things are working out so far. Maybe the staff meeting will be over by tomorrow.

13. Valka D'Ur

Day 4 total: 1949 words.

The staff meeting will wind up tomorrow, and then it's on to the Visitors' Centre.

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

I hope there's some conflict in there somewhere. :scared: I've had to sit thru staff meetings and they're horrible.

15. Valka D'Ur

Day 5 total: 2420 words. The meeting is still going on. Nobody has committed any acts of violence other than trying not to roll their eyes in exasperation.

Day 6 total: 2825 words. The meeting is over. The conflict I've decided on is that there's some reason why the mentor assigned to my main character is such a disagreeable <person>. It was almost instant dislike and my main character has no idea why.

Actually at this point I don't have any idea why, either. It just seemed to write itself that there would be antagonism between these two. They just met, so it's not like there's some past grudge going on.

Or maybe there is, and the main character just doesn't know it yet. Or maybe the other character sees her as a rival.

Probably a combination of both, actually. It'll come out at some point, and since the game series has them interacting pleasantly at a later time, I'm going to have to figure this out sooner rather than later.

As for other kinds of conflict, much later on there's a problem with poachers. Since the game is family-friendly, no humans were shot and no dead animals were depicted on-screen.

16. Valka D'Ur

Day 7 total: 3308 words. The souvenir shop has been inspected, introductions made, and an argument started. Like the main character, I'd love to know what set this off and how it's going to get resolved. Right now it's like the characters are actually typing this.

17. Valka D'Ur

:confused:

Looks like the person asking me for an update posted in invisible ink...

Well, to answer the question that was sent in my email notifications, it's been slow and frustrating. Some days I'm getting just a few words above the minimum, and that's really not good enough. I should be farther along than I am. Maybe after the distraction of The Handmaid's Tale goes away (2nd season wraps up this week)...

Day 8 total: 3739 words
    Day 9 total: 4082 words
    Day 10 total: 4428 words
    Day 11 total: 4828 words
    Day 12 total: 5275 words
    Day 13 total: 5637 words

Currently the protagonist is off to check one of the docks by the lake, to make sure the tourist boat is ready for the guests who want to take a sightseeing trip, make sure everyone who intends to do some fishing has a valid license, and so forth. I have not yet decided whether if she's going to fall in, due to tripping over something or getting accidentally pushed by a rambunctious pack of rugrats.

(such accidents do happen; one of my own experiences at the interpretive centre I worked at included being interviewed by a sopping wet supervisor who had just fallen into the lake when she was getting some food for one of the animals in the room where they keep small snakes and amphibians)

Prior to this, the Visitors' Centre was inspected, and it seems the person who was supposed to be supervising it came down with food poisoning from eating the wrong kind of mushrooms... pretty dumb for someone who's supposed to know the good ones from the bad, but this is turning into one really accident-prone week at this place.

Maybe I'll have the other ranger fall in the lake... the one who's the argumentative one. *evilgrin*

Anyway, thanks to a conversation with @Takhisis in one of the OT threads, I've decided to drop in a group of Society for Creative Anachronism people somewhere. This place would be perfect for one of their annual tournaments, since it already has an archery range and plenty of room for camping.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

I'm… glad I helped?

also, /subscription post.

19. Valka D'Ur

The conversation about sword fighting gave me the idea to include a Society for Creative Anachronism-centric chapter in which the Kingdom of An Tir holds a tournament at Pinecreek Hills (the campground where the story takes place). I was once a citizen of that kingdom, since it included Oregon, Washington, Idaho, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the Territories. It's solely an American kingdom now, though, since the Principality of Avacal was made a Kingdom (Avacal was the Canadian portion of An Tir).

Since the story takes place in that general area, why not have my Ranger character run across some people engaging in fighters' practice, or step into a campsite and be greeted with bows and a kiss on the hand? :queen::king::viking::c5war:

20. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

:coffee: [i have nothing intelligent to say, but I'm here]