1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Camp NaNoWriMo: July 2020

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Valka D'Ur, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:trophy: :high5::popcorn:

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Last day :wavey:

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Things are chugging right along. Duke William is busy drafting copies of the attestation all seven dukes are going to sign to confirm that the newborn baby snoozing in a basket in the kitchen is the true heir to the throne, Duke Edvar is at his wits' end because he has six other dukes in his living room and suddenly acquired an extra child before his own firstborn is born (and the Duchess is pissed off about it, since she's in labor and nobody asked her if she wanted an extra kid to take care of), and in the meantime the heir's mother is lying dead in her little room across town (but Duke William, et. al do intend to give her a decent burial after they have the paperwork taken care of - priorities are to secure the succession before everything else). The burial/crypt is part of the game, so I have to include that; 30 years later, it's where the heir learns that he's the true heir.

And Duke William will finally be able to encounter someone who isn't going to look at what he's carrying around with him and saying, "That's a baby." By the third time, the duke is rather annoyed and tempted to yell, "I KNOW IT'S A BABY!".

But of course he doesn't do that since what he's doing with the baby is highly clandestine and if the king found out, the dukes would all be in a lot of trouble and the baby would probably be murdered.

Oh, and the nurse who William hired to look after the heir is in the kitchen, making tea and raiding the cupboards to put together some kind of late-night snack for the dukes (no alcohol, since they need clear heads for this). After all, secretly planning the next 30-40 years of the royal succession is hard work.

(I really need to think about whether or not the Duke and Duchess would have had a housekeeper; I know he hired one after the Duchess died, but I suppose they should have one before... okay, the reason she's not in the story right now is because he gave her the night off, not realizing that he'd have a houseful of court intrigue going on the same night that his wife gives birth... whew, this is much more exhausting than the game, since it just shows the baby being passed from Duke William to Duke Edvar through a window...)

Anyway, to catch up:

Day 24 total: 15,828 words.
    Day 25 total: 16,923 words.
    Day 26 total: 17,548 words.
    Day 27 total: 18,184 words.
    Day 28 total: 18,688 words.
    Day 29 total: 19,202 words.
    Day 30 total: 20,246 words.

I'm going to keep going and try to get the papers signed and Duke Edvar's firstborn child actually born.

And later, I'm probably going to write a whole different version of all this that isn't quite so chaotic and that's more in line with the game. I don't have the times coordinated properly, and half the dukes don't have names. I also need to decide what's going to happen to the two midwives, since one is suspicious of Duke William and the other is suspicious when she realizes there are two babies but knows full well that the Duchess only had one child.

And while I've been writing all this, a different part of the alternative version has been playing out in my head, that takes place over 30 years later.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Well, since July has 31 days, I did some more:

Day 31 total: 20,966 words.

I didn't quite get where I wanted to go, and realized that I've misplaced the notebook with the game script. It's easier to redo it than look for it (since the floors are still wet and I've got chaos going on in the living room thanks to the upstairs neighbors; see the Rants thread in OT for details).

I am considering reposting the video walkthrough here in a separate thread, and providing some annotations - not as part of the videos themselves, but to summarize the events of the game and give my own spin on it - like an explanation of what I've kept, what I've changed, and what I'm ignoring in the interest of having a story that flows well and isn't bogged down in the mechanics necessary for a Hidden Object game.

I have a selfish reason for this, in that it would be more convenient to have the entire game here to reference, instead of having to hunt it down on YT. But I thought it might be of interest to anyone else who might want to try converting a computer game to prose form, or even to just have a look at what's kept my attention for these past couple of years. There are definitely things to consider in the game that you can safely ignore in prose, and vice versa.

Of course it would contain massive spoilers, so it's read at your own risk. I've lived with this game for nearly 2 years now, have played it through multiple times, both Collector's Edition and Standard Edition, and have seen the demo version on YT, which contains some elements that are different from the final release.

If anyone wants to ask questions, make comments or observations or suggestions, that would be much appreciated. After all, you never know what might spark a new branch of the story or give insight into a character (or suggest a real name for Count Chocula - who doesn't appear in the game; he's a character I invented).

Thoughts?

Oh, btw... this is what the winners' badge looks like:

Attached Files:

5. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

The proposed video walk through would be most helpful. :yup: Right now I have no "feel" for the story. I don't know the main characters, their goals, backgrounds, or personalities. :dunno: Count Chocula--who is he? Any name suggestion I would make at this point would be an uninformed one, pulled out of the ether.