Camp NaNoWriMo (July 2021)

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
I nearly decided not to bother this time. For anyone unaware of my lamentations in the weather thread in OT, this region of Canada has been experiencing a killer heat wave, aka a "heat dome." As in temperatures in the high 30s - mid 40s (Celsius).

It's been very difficult to handle without AC - so life's goals have been to keep hydrated, make sure Maddy eats and drinks (she wasn't drinking enough, so thank goodness for moist canned cat food) - and keep as cool as possible. The day Camp started I woke up with symptoms of heat exhaustion and seriously considered skipping Camp this time.

But then my fan arrived, I tried a few "stay cool" tips suggested by various folks here and on TrekBBS, and decided to give it a try.

Normally I do 15-20,000 words for a Camp event. But even though things have cooled down a bit, it's still far too hot for real comfort, so I decided this time around I'd take it easy.

My goal: 5000 words in 30 days. That's 167 words/day, or the equivalent of 2-3 paragraphs (or maybe half a dozen if dialogue is going on).

I chose part of the story that's so far just been in the background, but is actually a rather significant bit that introduces a slew of characters, the Kingdom of Ravensmoor (my own invention since the game this story is based on only had the kingdom where the game took place and there was no mention of anywhere beyond other than a vague reference to "a crusade" happening 30 years prior), and sets up relationships and situations that will help or hinder the main characters 2-3 years later, in game time.

As usual, I'll keep a running total of my progress (these are cumulative totals).

Day 1: 218 words.
Day 2: 404 words.

It isn't too late to enter, if anyone's interested.

Feel free to comment or ask questions (about NaNoWriMo; general writing comments should go in Zkribbler's thread). Otherwise, I'll just sit here and talk to myself...

Day 3: 639 words.
Day 4: 1117 words.

I had a pretty good day of writing for Day 4. It helps that it's much cooler here now and it's easier to both think and write.

The part of the project I'm working on is a wedding. Having a smaller goal is turning out to be handy, as I just realized that I need more information about 11th century wedding customs among the nobility of this time and place. Time to do some research!

I'm pleased to say that the story is moving along. It's a bit slower than intended, but that's what editing is for. The main thing for now is that I'm ahead and according to my stats page, I should finish on July 21, 10 days early.

Day 5: 1364 words.
Day 6: 1589 words.
Day 7: 1819 words.
Day 8: 2064 words.
Day 9: 2247 words.
Day 10: 2433 words.
Day 11: 2619 words.
Day 12: 2888 words.

I've been receiving badges for updating 'x' days in a row, one for updating twice in the same day, one for making it to 1667 words (sounds a bit arbitrary during a Camp event, but that's the number of words/day necessary to make it to the end of the November NaNoWriMo, which is 50,000 words; I'm only doing a tenth of that this time), and one for reaching the halfway point.

Top Bottom