1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Campaign Idea

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Vikramaditya, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Chieftain

Hey guys,
    I m a new civ fan and i was thinking of making a campaign ( a series of scenarios) based on something and i just wanted to ask for some ideas and help on making it.

I am planning on basing the campaign about the Indian Civilization, From the time where there were multiple emperors battling for the control of the nation, holding off a few invaders such as the mongols and later the british. Say from 0 ad to 2008 ad.

Also i was wondering if some one can provide me with a south or Southeast Asia mod so i could use some units for the campaign. A Standard map of india would be very usefull.

Thanks a lot,
    Vik

2. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Chieftain

Sorry i didnt give the proper details the first time i edited the post to give the full info.:D

3. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

I think you would be setting yourself a very difficult task!

The Indus civilization is clouded in mystery and conjecture. Nobody really knows how the society was organized, what the basis of elite power was (secular kings? priest-kings? an oligarchy?), any personalities at all, what their beliefs were, or how their military operated. Nobody even knows whether it was ever a unitary empire or just city-states. The whole civilization is just a big question mark.

So, too, is the Aryan invasion. Nobody's sure if it was the Aryans that brought about the downfall of the Indus civilization, or if they took advantage of a collapse. It's even possible that some sort of climatic change caused both the collapse of the Indus, and the migration of the Aryans. The nature of the invasion is similarly mysterious. Was it conquest by arms? Was it a combination of limited raiding and migration? Or was it peaceful settlement and assimilation? Nobody knows. There's no evidence for any of the above scenarios. No layers of ash to indicate war, no signs of assimilation either.

This is an archeological frontier that hasn't yet been explored much, which is part of its allure: the mystery. It will be very exciting when they finally do start to find things that will tell them more. So I think given the lack of information available you will have a difficult time presenting an Indus civ.

4. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Chieftain

Thanks for letting me know, I changed it so as to make it easier and now its based from 0ad to 2008ad

5. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

You could go back farther than that. We have some records and history of the area starting with the Mahajanapadas around 1000 BC. We know the names of cities and regions, a few kings, etc ... there are 16 principal kingdoms of this era, so if you were ambitious, you could even do a scenario based on the Mahajanapadas with each kingdom as a civ.

After that you've got much better documented eras, like the Magadha Empire (700 BC) and then the famous Mauryan Empire (300 BC).

6. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Chieftain

K thanks for the info. I m not gona do it for a while got a lot of school work.

7. John_Deere

John_Deere Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Since you're not going do it for a while, I would recommend you spend your free time researching the era. Then, you could outline, in a post or word document, all of the aspects of your campaign. It would help to flesh out the direction and elements of your work.

And good luck. As Frekk said, the Indian civilization is complex, and you'll want all the luck you can get to finish this. It would make an awesome mod.