Camping Archer on Hermitage

Chepas

Chieftain
In my last game, my (always friendly, frequently Allied) neighbor Spain put a random Archer on my Hermitage. No big deal with open borders... until I got a great artist, and I could not move him to that square. He never moved it. It was deep in my territory. A random Spanish builder joined it for a bit and wandered off.

I let the alliance lapse, and the "open borders" disappeared from the status screen, and wasn't available in the diplomacy menu. But the archer never moved.

Was this a tactic or an error? I could have possibly purchased the square with the archer in it, but I don't remember and don't know. A clever tactic if it was one.

Could I resolve this short of declaring war and destroying the archer? I rarely seem to get friendly relations, but I benefited from getting them in on a joint war early to avoid the huge warmongering penalties for clearing out the Americans. (For what it is worth, I was playing Germany.)

--Pete

Could I resolve this short of declaring war and destroying the archer?
Put the work in another open slot (like a palace or art museum), wait 10 turns (which is stupid--why is there a turn cooldown on moving great works of art?!), move it to the Hermitage. :dunno:

Put the work in another open slot (like a palace or art museum), wait 10 turns (which is stupid--why is there a turn cooldown on moving great works of art?!), move it to the Hermitage. :dunno:

I had this problem with the Natural History Museum in one game. An ally decided to leave a unit on it and I had to create my Great Works in the Palace slot then transfer them to the NHM. This is a legit albeit passive-aggressive tactic, but I'm surprised they programmed the AI to do it. Since then, I've been placing my own units on tiles that have open Great Works slots in order to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited:
Great idea! At the time, I didn't have a slot open, but one building later, problem solved.
I love the passive-aggressive "allied" behavior. It mimics when I play "friendly/cooperative" multiplayer with my brother on the older games... we "share" everything, but there is the unspoken cold war over settling spots, wonders...

Happened to me with Japan. The unit sat on my spot for hundreds of turns, was upgraded once, and eventually pulled off in the modern era. It was bizarre.

The real issue here is the bug where alien units can remain in your territory past the open borders agreement... My latest version of it was Japanese units able to enter my tiles of a freshly conquered city-state. Also the tiles of that city-state still read only 'Bandar Brunei', no mention of France, my civ.

It takes turns to move Great Works so that if you're losing cities you can't just instantly shift all your art to a fresh city.

It takes turns to move Great Works so that if you're losing cities you can't just instantly shift all your art to a fresh city.
...But you can your great works of music and writing? :coffee: I suspect it has something to do with theming, but I still think it's a stupid mechanic. Especially since 10 turns is potentially hundreds of years. That's a long exposition...

...But you can your great works of music and writing? :coffee: I suspect it has something to do with theming, but I still think it's a stupid mechanic. Especially since 10 turns is potentially hundreds of years. That's a long exposition...

It's another of the little inconsistencies that distract from simply playing the game, as you get dragged into the fine details of the mechanics when trying to accomplish something. There's another thread open now on a similar topic regarding adjacency rules for wonders.

I'm sure the developers had a reason for the decision - likely theming, as you posit - but this is a situation where at a top level, there needs to be a decision about "we're going to handle great works like this". Have a delay between moves or don't, but one mechanic applied consistently would be cleaner, in my opinion.

I had a similar issue when I flipped a free city that China was trying to take back by force. We were allies and after the city flipped he left all of the units he was using for the siege in the exact same place for the rest of the gane. Made improving the tiles around the city impossible.

Top Bottom