1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can´t play Civ IV anymore

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by weltraeumer, Mar 14, 2010.

1. weltraeumer

weltraeumer Warlord

with the breaking news of the upcoming ciV with its radical new gameplay, I cannot but simply look at cIV with sad eyes only seeing it´s now boring and exhausted features, unplayable forever.

hell I can´t wait till autumn...
    and I mean really can´t wait, maybe we could hack into firaxis hq and sneak it out?

2. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Rubbish!

Civ 4 is and will always be an excellent Civilization-game, just like Civ 2 still is a brilliant game as well.

3. Abremms

Abremms Prince

civ IV does feel a bit long in the tooth compared to what we're seeing about ciV. I got bored with it real fast after reading about the ciV features, but then i just downloaded the Fall from Heaven 2 mod. presto chango, completely different game with the same civ core i know and love. :D

4. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

You do realize that Civ 5 will probably have LESS features than what Civ 4 Beyond the Sword has? No religion, no espionage, no random events (?), no corporations (?), fewer civilizations and so on...

5. weltraeumer

weltraeumer Warlord

religion was nothing but +/- relation, espionage a pain in the ass, not said that random events are out and never built corporations :D

it´s the new combat system I´m thrilled

6. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

True, the new combat system seems like a vast improvement, but that doesn´t make Civ 4 obsolete. It´s strange that it took the Civ-designers 20 years to come up with a combat system that was already well-known and well-implemented in 1994. Go figure... :rolleyes:

7. weltraeumer

weltraeumer Warlord

yeah but do you play civ 2 anymore?

there are a lot of superb games I have beloved in memory but experience tells me never to touch them again, for the can´t return the feeling... settlers I, schleichfahrt, civ I+II, diablo I, duke nukem 3D, c&c I,....

8. fireflames

fireflames Chieftain

I hear you, brother. I look at cIV these days - too often - and it's hell of underwhelming in light of the constant flurry of new ciV information. I still play it and love the ess out of it, but I've also begun to look for TBSs with hex tiles to scratch that new itch. There are some good ones out there. Give it a shot!

9. Keipher

Keipher Chieftain

Ditto. After a day reading about CiV I suddenly find myself with a void of desire to return to my cIV. Even with BTS and my favorite LoR mod.

10. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I must admit cIV feels different now and even slightly outdated.

However, it's still fun. :)

I recommend downloading theFFH2 Fall Further Plus mods.

Still great fun. :)

11. Decius

Decius Chieftain

Civ V will be a different game. As much as I'm looking forward to it the announcement doesn't spoil IV in any way for me.

And if I don't like V then I'll happily play IV for another five years, just like I kept playing Civ II because I didn't enjoy III.

12. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

+1 BTS is a very well rounded game and while I enjoy reading the news and seeing pictures of ciV, I am completely content to continue improving my cIV gameplay, strategies and such.

13. rickb

rickb Warlord

I've done that to some degree every time a new version of Civ is announced, although to a lesser extent with each one. Totally stopped playing Civ 2 when 3 was announced, played a few games of 3 after IV announced, and then with V, I actually fired up several new games of IV since I hadn't played it in a while. I've never played an older version *after* a new one has been released though.

I'm just glad they announced Civ V so late in the dev process, so I don't have to endure so much waiting. :) Personally I absolutely love how Civ completely reinvents itself with each new iteration. If I wind up absolutely hating it, I can always go back to a previous version that I liked. Luckily, Civ's hadn't disappointed me yet.

14. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Civ5 won't be as playable for ages. It's good to wait a few months before buying it, if not wait for the first xp. Civ4 definitely is not old.

15. Gorey

Gorey Prince

Thats the way i feel.

Even if they ruin it with Civ 5 ( i doubt it).. Civ IV with the BUG UI mod is dang near perfection. And i could probably play it forever.

16. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

Oh my God, I have to marvel at these pathetic posts about doom and gloom for a game that HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET...

About a game that YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED YET !

Are these REALLY my fellow gaming enthusiasts?

The negativity is just incredible. I laugh in all your faces.

17. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I actually hadn't played Civ IV for about a year; I had gotten really tired and bored of it. But with the announcement of Civ V, it's re-energized me about Civ, so I've started playing IV again. It does feel sluggish though because there's so many units to control in the late game. But that's always been my problem with IV and that's why I stopped playing it in the first place. I love the early game and medieval game, but once you get to the mid to the industrial and modern eras, there's just way too many units to keep track of and the game takes forever.

18. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

Pretty much the same for me with the exception that I choose to pick up Civ Rev for cheap rather than go back to Civ IV. I'm looking forward to something different in Civ V.

19. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yeah, I started playing that again too. Actually went to that first, but then went back to Civ IV. Neither one are going to be able to tie me over until Civ V comes out. Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it another 6 months or so. Hopefully another good game comes out soon to take my mind off it.

20. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

I started playing Civ IV again because of the Civ V announcement. It's still a great game, but I'd have a hard time getting into it again if it werent for mods.