Can’t take free city, feature or bug?

SirWill90

Warlord
Don’t know if feature or bug. As Persia, took a city from Zulu. Few turns later, despite my efforts, it flips to Free City. It had a flashing Arabia symbol and had about 5 or 6 turns to flip. As I had successfully done earlier in the game on a Free city that was about to flip to Polynesia, I commenced to attack with the intent to raze it. I fired my bombard normally, did some damage, then tried to send in my Musketman. When I hit the movement button and hovered over the city, the red attack ring and projected results showed up normally, but I could not attack. There was an Arabian bowman in an adjacent hex to the city but nothing in it. It was just like when you try to attack a unit of a civ or city state with whom you are not at war. Next turn the bowman left.

Anyway I tried this with several units each turn with the same results, including being able to fire my bombard at the city, until it indeed flipped to Arabia after about 5 turns. So is this a feature with a certain suzerainty bonus or a rule I don’t know about or what?

Don’t know if feature or bug. As Persia, took a city from Zulu. Few turns later, despite my efforts, it flips to Free City. It had a flashing Arabia symbol and had about 5 or 6 turns to flip. As I had successfully done earlier in the game on a Free city that was about to flip to Polynesia, I commenced to attack with the intent to raze it. I fired my bombard normally, did some damage, then tried to send in my Musketman. When I hit the movement button and hovered over the city, the red attack ring and projected results showed up normally, but I could not attack. There was an Arabian bowman in an adjacent hex to the city but nothing in it. It was just like when you try to attack a unit of a civ or city state with whom you are not at war. Next turn the bowman left.

Anyway I tried this with several units each turn with the same results, including being able to fire my bombard at the city, until it indeed flipped to Arabia after about 5 turns. So is this a feature with a certain suzerainty bonus or a rule I don’t know about or what?

If it's a rule it's one I don't know about, either.

It sounds like a special case of the more frequently reported current bug where a foreign unit that has no business being in the Free City ends up there, preventing any attacks on the Free City. I haven't seen or heard of a situation where you couldn't attack a Free City with no foreign unit there, but possibly there was a graphical glitch going on, too, and the offending unit simply wasn't appearing? <- pure speculation

If it's a rule it's one I don't know about, either.

It sounds like a special case of the more frequently reported current bug where a foreign unit that has no business being in the Free City ends up there, preventing any attacks on the Free City. I haven't seen or heard of a situation where you couldn't attack a Free City with no foreign unit there, but possibly there was a graphical glitch going on, too, and the offending unit simply wasn't appearing? <- pure speculation

As good a guess as any. I hadn’t heard about the bug you mentioned.

Could be that thing with the UU from Persia not being able to attack melee and thus not being able to take cities? maybe it is some kind of bug in which the game still thinks you are using an immortal and not a musketman, idk.

Could be that thing with the UU from Persia not being able to attack melee and thus not being able to take cities? maybe it is some kind of bug in which the game still thinks you are using an immortal and not a musketman, idk.
I would say maybe, except that I’d used the same units when they were immortals to take a free city earlier, heh.

I would say maybe, except that I’d used the same units when they were immortals to take a free city earlier, heh.
Yes, Immortals not being able to take a city was an unintended bug adressed by the last patch, that's why that was the first thing to come to my mind.

Why don't you try and attack some neighbour to see if you can take his cities?

Yes, Immortals not being able to take a city was an unintended bug adressed by the last patch, that's why that was the first thing to come to my mind.

Why don't you try and attack some neighbour to see if you can take his cities?
I have taken several cities with these units. But sure, when I get home maybe I will try it and see if the units have somehow become cursed, lol.

Polynezia?
I don't remember any Poilynezia in Civ6.
You probably use some mods which conflict with the expansion.

Last edited:
Anyway, I remember similar bug in civ5 (usually, if attacking from sea). Try to right-click city in question instead of left-clicking. It might help.

I had a similar bug yesterday. Playing as Korea, I could not take Rome with infantry! US walked right up and took it. I had to wait for them to riot again before being able to take it with the same infantry. Bug.

Top Bottom