1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can a mod add a new empire mid-game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by NickyVladimir, Oct 11, 2010.

1. NickyVladimir

NickyVladimir Chieftain

Just wondering about whether this is possible as a Civ 5 mod ... can you have certain events that cause a new empire to be created? For example, say you wanted to have Egypt start a few turns earlier than Greece, or perhaps a civil war event that would cause part of an existing empire to splinter off as a new, separate AI player. Is this within the capability of Civ 5 modding?

2. Revoran

Revoran Prince

That would be useful on Earth maps for adding the United States / other countries descended from European colonies as it just seems silly (at least on historical maps) to have the USA kicking around in 4000 BC.

But I don't actually know if this is possible as I know very little about modding. Anyone else?

3. Mekajiki

Mekajiki Warlord

Rhye did it in Civ4. I'm sure it can be done in Civ5. Don't know how though.

4. CurseUppl

CurseUppl The bureaucracy expands.

Indeed. And Firaxis did claim Civ5 would be even more moddable than Civ4... I believe.

So it would be silly if you couldn't. (Would also shoot down a Fall from Heaven 3 mod, if one is made, as it uses that feature quite extensively.)

5. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

It wouldn't be the only gap in moddability compared to civ4... not being a naysayer, just mentioning... there's a few odd things missing.

6. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

well, this is basically an issue of counting turns, it should be possible.

7. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

I wonder if you could add a bunch of "already dead" players at the beginning, just as placeholders. Then revive them later in the game.

8. NickyVladimir

NickyVladimir Chieftain

That is a promising idea. You might even be able to recycle the player slot when an empire is conquered, i.e. modify the empire name, leader pic, city name list, etc. For that matter you could do the same to a non-conquered empire, for example Muscovy -> Russian Empire -> Soviet Union -> Russian Federation. Perhaps trigger the change on the start of Medieval Age, Renaissance Age, etc.

So technically there would always be 10 players in the game, but they would keep changing their identities as history progresses.

9. Tobiboy

Tobiboy Chieftain

has anyone figured out how to do this yet?